jQuery not supported.

Front bumper removal / replacement

Front bumper removal / replacement

Postby 1josh13 [OP] » May 01 2011, 1:07am

Hi guys,

Earlier today I got in an accident. I rear ended someone who slowed down a lot quicker then I thought because the car infront of him had stopped.... Besides me really upset about this, my truck no longer looks all that great... its not major damage but its going to cost a little.

here are some pictures.

2011-04-30_14-55-12_361.jpg
Front bumper pic 1

2011-04-30_14-55-06_220.jpg
Front bumper 2

2011-04-30_14-55-19_737.jpg
Right side, the left is the same.

Can someone guide me through taking off the bumper, possible fixes if any, and what i can do to find a new one. Im even considering just leaving it off and getting a full bumper replacement...

Thanks
Original Poster
1josh13
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 10
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 4.8v8 4x2 NBS
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen
Related Topics  2007 Silverado Front Bumper Removal   Front Bumper Replacement   2011 Silverado 1500 4x4 z71 Front Bumper Replacement   Fuel Pump diagnosis, removal, & replacement   Rear bumper removal (for paint)   Replacement bumper   Front axle removal   bumper replacement part   Denali Bumper Replacement?   after market bumper replacement   OEM or aftermarket replacement bumper?   2014 Denali Replacement Bumper Installed   Chevrolet Silverado Bumper Impact Bar Replacement   Grille Guard, Bull Bar, Replacement Bumper, OR Neither 
Exterior Sponsor
FREE Shipping on Truck Accessories!
Special Offers for SilveradoSierra.com members at AutoAnything.com

Re: Front bumper removal / replacement

Postby starspangled6.0 » May 01 2011, 2:09am

Ouch!

Have you crawled underneath the front bumper? I'm guessing that there's some bolts\clips that you can access from there.
07 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Crew Cab Dually
04 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Extended Cab w\Hiniker 8.5 V
03 Sierra 2500HD 6.0L Extended Cab w\BOSS 8.2' V

http://www.integrityoutdoor.biz
starspangled6.0
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 300
Blogs: 46
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Extra Info: 3500HD 6.6L Duramax
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby rdss » May 01 2011, 2:09am

It doesn't look to terrible, but you might need to have someone look at the frame and make sure that it wasn't tweaked in a little. You won't know anything is wrong until you try and drop that brand new straight bumper in and find out it doesn't fit right. Like in shop talk, I would just crawl underneath the truck and it shouldn't be more than a few bolts on each frame post, just make sure you disconnect all you electronics and you will probably be better off having a few friends and some beer to help.

It does look like the painted parts still in good condition so you should just need the new bumper/chrome and the creased lower plastic air damn.
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Crewcab:
K&N Aircharger
Blastin Bob's muffler back w/ Magnaflow muffler
BedRug BedTred
Extang Revolution Tonneau
Diablo Sport inTune....DiabLew tuned!
Black Rampage sidesteps.
rdss
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Topics: 17
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLT 1500 CC 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby WingNut » May 01 2011, 3:21am

Take it off and bang it back into shape with a 2# sledge. It'll be a nice battle scar!
Marine because.

WingNut
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 53
Blogs: 15
Year: 2004
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby 1josh13 [OP] » May 01 2011, 3:50am

rdss wrote:It doesn't look to terrible, but you might need to have someone look at the frame and make sure that it wasn't tweaked in a little. You won't know anything is wrong until you try and drop that brand new straight bumper in and find out it doesn't fit right. Like in shop talk, I would just crawl underneath the truck and it shouldn't be more than a few bolts on each frame post, just make sure you disconnect all you electronics and you will probably be better off having a few friends and some beer to help.

It does look like the painted parts still in good condition so you should just need the new bumper/chrome and the creased lower plastic air damn.

I went ahead and took it off. Turns out the LEFT (driver side) inner bracket, I think its called was bent to shit, the right one looked ok. Im sorry i didnot get before pics, but I hammered the metal piece down to the same level that the right one was at. Its still all **** up, ill show some pics of the after work. I should have taken more.

WingNut wrote:Take it off and bang it back into shape with a 2# sledge. It'll be a nice battle scar!

I did, once we got the bumper off I set her down, said **** it, and started going at it. Its actually looking a lot better, but the inside of it was still all **** up, one section is all bent from where the metal arm from the left inner bracket was bent to shit.

In total I think im going to need a new bumper (only the chrome part as everything else checks out) along with both a left and right inner bracket. I believe that's what they are called, once i post some pics you guys can verify for me.

The shitty part is, I can live with a few dents, but the right (pass) side is still hanging low with a gap between the lights and bumper, the driver side is fine and is pretty flush.

TBH Im about to say **** it, drop the bumper, throw it at someone, get new brackets and get a full metal replacement like such:

http://www.frontier-gear.com/html/Chevy ... llery.html
Original Poster
1josh13
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby gmctruckguy » May 01 2011, 3:55am

Thats a nice freakin bumper! Be prepared to loose some mpg's with it, it looks heavy, but man that looks mean! Keep us informed on what your plans are.
10638His & Hers 2012 Sierra C/C's 6.2L, 4WD, 3.73's, Airaid CAI, Diablo Predator/inTune, Magnaflow Exhaust, Piaa's, 3 1/2" RC Lift, 285 BFG T/A's, Bushwacker Flares, Tuff Country Add-a-Leaf

gmctruckguy
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Topics: 24
Blogs: 1
Year: 2012
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: Max Trailering
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby 1josh13 [OP] » May 01 2011, 4:07am

Here are the pics f those brackets.

both brackets.jpg
A view of both brackets. Note the one on the right side is the "left" drivers side bracket, that was the one that was bent very upward and i hammered it down.

left (driver) view.jpg
another view of the driver side bracket
Original Poster
1josh13
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby starspangled6.0 » May 01 2011, 2:41pm

I vote for the aftermarket bumper- think of all the hybrids you could smash with that thing!!
07 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Crew Cab Dually
04 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Extended Cab w\Hiniker 8.5 V
03 Sierra 2500HD 6.0L Extended Cab w\BOSS 8.2' V

http://www.integrityoutdoor.biz
starspangled6.0
Topics: 300
Blogs: 46
Extra Info: 3500HD 6.6L Duramax
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby rdss » May 01 2011, 4:50pm

Josh, make sure the truck is level then install and level the new brackets. Just stung them up enough to old the weight of the bumper after its installed and then you can fine tune it from there. I would have checked out the aftermarket bumper but it wont display on my iPad, but I am sure it is nice if that is the route you want to go, but I still think you will need to take care of the brackets unless it mounts with it's own system.
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Crewcab:
K&N Aircharger
Blastin Bob's muffler back w/ Magnaflow muffler
BedRug BedTred
Extang Revolution Tonneau
Diablo Sport inTune....DiabLew tuned!
Black Rampage sidesteps.
rdss
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 17
Year: 2010
Extra Info: SLT 1500 CC 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby 1josh13 [OP] » May 01 2011, 6:01pm

Would anyone know where I can find those brackets at? I was looking on rockauto and all the brackets they had photos of didnt look a thing like these.

Does anyone know a part number or have a link to them on a website for sale?

Thanks
Original Poster
1josh13
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen
Next

Return to Exterior