Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

headlight bulb replacement

56K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  proseinc 
#1 ·
! have a 2011 GMC Sierra 1500. I'm changing the headlight bulbs, and the passenger side was easy enough. I just took the airfilter box out to access the headlight bulbs. The driver side is another story though. The bulbs are nearly inaccessible. It looks like I may be able to remove the auxilary battery tray and then remove the windshield washer fluid bottle to get at the lights. Either that, or pull out the entire headlight assembly. It looks like it is held on with two bolts on the top, but I couldn't tell what holds it on below (I ran out of daylight last night.) Does anyone have any tips for doing this job? Thanks.

#2 ·
It is somewhat difficult, but I was able to squeeze my hand in there enough to turn the bulb holders and remove them, changed the bulbs, and re-install them. That was without removing anything. If your hands are just too big, maybe you can get your wife, one of your kids, or someone else to help. That was one of the first things that I did to my new truck. Changed all 4 headlight bulbs to Sylvania Ultrastars. I can see now, and don't understand why most manufacturers still put the crappy bulbs in the headlights from the factory.

#4 ·
You're welcome, it was tight, and I scrapped up my hand and arm pretty good. But, was able to do it. Good luck, and hope that you find a method that works for you. I tried to get to the horn wiring on the driver's side so I could hook up my Stebel air horn. Ended up giving up that idea for now, it is really buried, and I just don't have the patience right now to deal with it.

#6 ·
I recently took care of this on my 2011 Silverado, so I know exactly the pain you're going through. I actually did remove the headlight assembly, and you're correct, it is held on by two bolts up top, but there's also another third bolt on the side of it in the fender well. To get to it, I removed the bolt closest to the front, and moved the wheel well liner out of the way, and used my socket wrench to get at that third one. (Unfortunately, to pull out the headlight assembly, you have to remove the grill as well...) After that bolt was removed, though, it came out with no problem, and I was able to get my new bulbs in just fine.

Nice trucks....just such a pain in the ass to deal with sometimes.

#9 ·
^Huh? The battery is no where near the headlights on the 2007+. I pulled the washer bottle and aux battery tray.

#12 ·
blue dog said:
Sorry I have 2013 HD and the battery is in the way
because there are two batteries and the second battery is behind driver headlight

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.