jQuery not supported.

How To Remove Rear Bumper - '07-'11

How to disassemble/reassemble the rear bumper

How To Remove Rear Bumper - '07-'11

Postby HammerDown [OP] » Jul 19 2011, 5:25pm

I had to do a little bodywork on the rear of the bed, near the tailpipe, due to paint chips (no mudflaps!) and decided it would be easier to sand and paint if the bumper was off. I took a few pics as I put it back together and I thought others might like to see how easy (or not) it was in case anyone else needed to do it.

Step 1: Use a putty knife and your fingers to pry up the top plastic piece on the driver's side. It will pull right off and you won't break anything. Note: There is a push type plastic retainer on the underside where the plastic wraps around the side of the metal bumper. Use a needle-nose and screwdriver to punch it out.

Step 2: Same thing on the passenger side.

Step 3: To get the middle plastic piece out, you will need to drop the spare tire and remove your license plate. The license plate lights twist apart just like you're changing the bulbs. You don't have to touch the 7-pin trailer plug as it is attached to the metal frame. The tricky part of this whole operation is getting the tube for the spare tire lift removed. I ended up cutting the retainer clip on the backside to get it apart. It is a round metal piece surrounded by teeth in the middle that can be pushed on but not pulled off without cutting. Note: you don't have to take this middle piece of plastic off to take the bumper off. I did it so I could sand and repaint the metal frame underneath. If you do take this piece off, there are a couple push type retainer clips underneath and a bolt and nut on each side underneath. You'll see all of this as you lay under there.
This is the replacement retainer clip I ended up buying from the dealership so I could put it back together the right way. I'm sure you could use a band clamp or something else. These 2 pieces cost me $35 plus tax.

Step 4: Grab a drill and a small bit and drill out the rivets that hold the two metal end-caps on. Note: If you have the parking assist detectors on your bumper like I do, you will need to pull the four of those out from the backside of the bumper. A small screwdriver will help pull them loose. I pulled the plugs/wires first and then pulled the sensor out of the bumper when I had it off and could get a better look at it.
(I ended up driving it this way for a few days, thus the reason I mounted my license plate to the frame.)

This is what the backside of the metal endcaps looked like. Suffice to say I sanded, primed, and coated them with rubber undercoating before re-mounting them.

Step 5: There are 3 large bolts on each side (look for the rusty ones in the pic above - 2 on top and 1 on bottom) that will remove the metal frame. Here's another pic of the 3 bolts:
Before you pull it off, pull the wire looms free from the frame as they are attached to this part. You will also have to twist the 7-pin trailer plug out. Pull the wires off on the back, twist the front flap and pull it out the front. Once this metal frame piece is off, you're pile of parts should look like this:
They sure don't make 'em like they used to. Looking at all these flimsy little pieces makes you wonder what good the bumper would do in an accident.

Putting it all back together is the reverse of taking it apart. I used stainless bolts and fender washers (you may be able to see them in the 2nd picture since I took the pics as I put it back together). In hindsight, with the cost of stainless bolts, I would have just used some galvanized stuff instead. Like I said, the only tricky part is getting the tube for the spare tire removal unit separated. Everything else was cake. When I put it back together, I thought for a brief moment about using my Dremel to cut around the plastic flap of the lock cover for the spare tire removal tube so I didn't have to go through this again.

That's pretty much it. Let me know what you think, or if this helps.
Original Poster
HammerDown
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 15
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2008
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  How to remove all trim pieces from rear bumper before paint   Remove front bumper   To remove or not to remove the tailgate cap?   Rear Bumper   Rear bumper   FS: 07-13 rear bumper   What should I do to my rear bumper?   Need a new rear bumper, What do you guys think?   Wtb 99-07 rear bumper    Removing rear bumper   New black rear bumper on!    No ugly rear bumper?   Looking to black out your rear bumper?   rear bumper question 
Exterior Sponsor
FREE Shipping on Truck Accessories!
Special Offers for SilveradoSierra.com members at AutoAnything.com

Re: How To Remove Rear Bumper - '07-'11

Postby Scott_MacMartin » Oct 17 2012, 12:20am

Thanks for the photos covering the process of removing/re-installing the rear bumper. Gave me the enthusiasm to tackle the job and get it done. Just replacing the passenger side chrome section which some anonymous driver modified while I was out hiking.

BTW, on the 2011, all the fasteners are rivets rather than bolts. A VERY simple job - once past the apprehension of starting the job.
Scott_MacMartin
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2011
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby fz1rider » Oct 27 2012, 10:47pm

Thank god I'm not in the snow belt! No rust to speak of, ever.
fz1rider
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 16
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 2500HD 4x4 extra cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SMOKE » Oct 27 2012, 11:22pm

I thought the rear bumper could be removed as a complete assembly. Mine needs to come off to color match to the truck. Your way will save me a lot of turn around time. I'll just get some used caps & swap them out with the chrome caps. Appreciate it
SMOKE
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 31
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Scott_MacMartin » Oct 28 2012, 1:35am

The dealer charges 300 per side for the chrome ends. The exact same thing is available from eBay for 70 bucks. And the local wrecking yard (where I got mine), ordered brand new chrome end cap for 115 dollars. The chrome seems better on the replacement part than the original!
Scott_MacMartin
Year: 2011
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SMOKE » Oct 28 2012, 1:59am

Cool thanks for the Intel. I'm going have the rear bumper painted red to match the truck. I think used dent free covers will work fine if I can find them. Appreciate ya
SMOKE
Topics: 31
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jon9116 » Dec 04 2012, 9:00am

I'm getting confused on step 3. Where is this ring attached? I'm looking to color match my plastics on my rear bumper and I'm wondering if it is even worth the effort to remove this stuff or is it possible to leave it on while still color matching?
jon9116
Year: 2007
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby dnbhd » Apr 19 2013, 11:42pm

Great write up! This really helped me during my disassemble and install!
dnbhd
Topics: 1
Year: 2008
Extra Info: 2500HD Duramax
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jdrogo » May 28 2013, 2:58am

How lond did it take to replace just the passenger side chrome bumper piece? Thanks, mine was modified too.
jdrogo
Year: 2001
Extra Info: crew cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby StarsnBars » May 28 2013, 4:04am

I replaced my rear bumper end chrome cap in about a half hour. Nothing to it. A few bolts, drill out rivets, replace, pop new rivets, bolt up, done.
Good information for all:
The SilveradoSierra.com Commandments
StarsnBars
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 232
Year: 2012
Extra Info: H.D. 2500 Vortec 6.0
Group Membership:
Global moderators
Registered users
Next

Return to Exterior