jQuery not supported.

If you're going to install rear wheel well liners...

If you're going to install rear wheel well liners...

Postby dan61psu [OP] » Jan 10 2012, 2:33am

Save yourself some trouble, and just take the wheels off. You can definitely get the liners in there without doing removing them, but you wont be able to get a drill/driver into the lower self-tapping screw mounts to firmly secure the liners (the last step).

I got the liners on there this weekend, without taking the wheels off, without too much trouble (although the wife's hair dryer helped with some stubborn edges), only to find myself staring at 2 screws that I needed to drive, and no way to drive them in without removing the wheels.

Doh!!

(at least its easy to jack up 4x4 trucks!!!)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab - Z71 - Sheer Silver
Original Poster
dan61psu
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 12
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2011
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Crew Cab Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Rear Wheel Well Liners   Rear wheel liners   Rear Wheel Well Liners on 2014 Silverado 2500   wheel well liners   wheel well liners   WHEEL WELL LINERS   Wheel Well Liners installed   Painted wheel well liners?   Front Wheel Well Liners?   Husky wheel well liners   Pros and cons to Wheel well liners   Did my wheel well liners last night....finally!   Front wheel liners causes Tire rub (Incorrectly installed?)   steering wheel install 
Exterior Sponsor
FREE Shipping on Truck Accessories!
Special Offers for SilveradoSierra.com members at AutoAnything.com

Re: If you're going to install rear wheel well liners...

Postby jleach76 » Jan 10 2012, 2:09pm

I am having linex do my wheel wells when the do my bed. It is only costing me an extra $150.00 at the time they do my bed. A little cheaper then those plastic liners and I think it will last longer too!
2011 Silverado Crew Cab
Z71
Borla Catback
GM Tonneau Cover
GM Bed Liner
GM Underseat Storage
GM Wheel House Liners
Amsoil Independent Dealer
http://www.lubedealer.com/leach
jleach76
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 11
Blogs: 1
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Extra Info: 1500 LT 5.3L Z71 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby tsduke » Jan 10 2012, 2:32pm

Other than being cheap. Why doesn't GM make these available? Is there reason not to have them?
tsduke
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 50
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2014
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLT Crew 5.3l
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jepics » Jan 10 2012, 3:02pm

They are available from GM, its just they are not standard equipment on the trucks. There are a number of GMC discounters online who sell them.
If you want to do what you want to do, you have to do what you have to do.
--John
jepics
Topics: 51
Blogs: 8
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2009
Extra Info: SLE 5.3 V8 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby Nyron » Jan 10 2012, 3:11pm

I agree, you pretty much have to take the tires off to get all the screws in. I love mine, they really quiet the noise down. I called the same dealer where I got my Line X bed liner and I think he quoted me a price around 200 dollars. However, he told me there were places that he would not be able to get to with the spray so some parts may not be fully protected. That is why I went the the plastic liners.
Nyron
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2012
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby MadHatter » Jan 10 2012, 6:01pm

I paid $110 for my liners from the dealer, installed them in about an hour. i didnt take the wheels off.. jacked up each side slid the liners in put in all the screws with a drill and lowered it and did the other side. I do agree that GM should stop being cheap and put these on all trucks. GM isnt the only brand that doesnt put these on, in fact i have yet to see any other brand of truck that has them in from the factory. I considered the rino/lineX idea but one reason to install anything is to protect the inner fender and the other reason (for me) is to make it easier to clean. Which the liners make it a super fast wipe an go after i wash my rims.
MadHatter
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Topics: 13
Blogs: 7
Extra Info: I like Gummy Bears
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby O'Brien » Jan 11 2012, 12:23am

I didn't use the cheesy self tapping mild steel wonders that came with the GM fender liner set I bought and installed. I also had little effort installing them with the wheels on on my 2011 Z71 4X4.Besides the factory screww heads being of borderlined size in relation to the pre-located holes on the liners,the stainless sheet metal fasteners I used had a larger pan head and they don't rust.Just drilled some 1/16" pilot holes once the liner was snapped in and located before installing screws. I also liberally coated the inner fenders with rust protectant before installing. After all ,that's the primary reason for having em' in the first place. They do however hide the busy looking frame work and create a cleaner look as a bonus.
2012 Silverado LT 6.2L w/373 9.5 in. 14 bolt rear, 18"Z71 rims w/ 285/65/18 BFG Ta/Ko tires,2" billet aluminum front leveling kit,2011 grill insert, Amp Power Steps
O'Brien
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 16
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 4X4 Crew Cab 6.2L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby offroadman83 » Jan 11 2012, 12:37am

I need some of these liners..............dang GM being cheap and not putting em in. Washing where those liners should have been from factory was a major pain in the butt for me the other day!!! I have been considering just painting it, but not really sure still.
offroadman83
Topics: 13
Extra Info: z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Z15 » Jan 11 2012, 12:43am

jepics wrote:They are available from GM, its just they are not standard equipment on the trucks. There are a number of GMC discounters online who sell them.

My truck came with them

S41 LPO, Rear wheelhouse liner
Extended cab and crew cab
1 - Included and only available with (PDD) SLT Convenience Package.
Last edited by Z15 on Jan 11 2012, 12:46am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Image Dealer

Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 125
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: AWD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby O'Brien » Jan 11 2012, 12:45am

offroadman83 wrote:I need some of these liners..............dang GM being cheap and not putting em in. Washing where those liners should have been from factory was a major pain in the butt for me the other day!!! I have been considering just painting it, but not really sure still.

Get yourself a set from the dealer.You won't be sorry. They fit glovelike and are pretty easy to install.Fairly affordable too.I also like that it blanks off the rear frame tubes.
2012 Silverado LT 6.2L w/373 9.5 in. 14 bolt rear, 18"Z71 rims w/ 285/65/18 BFG Ta/Ko tires,2" billet aluminum front leveling kit,2011 grill insert, Amp Power Steps
O'Brien
Topics: 16
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 4X4 Crew Cab 6.2L
Group Membership:
Registered users