Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Jack points on a 2011 Silverado?

19K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  johndeere9203 
#1 ·
I have new rims and tires being delivered to me today and for the life of me I can't find where the jack points are on this truck. I looked in the owners manual and for 1500's it says there is a bracket or something like that for the front and for the rear just place jack under rear axle 2 inches away from where shock attaches.

Now I've been accused of being a dumbass before but I can't find or see that special point up front and for the rear do you really just place jack under axle and use that? My first time jacking a truck up but the round portion of the axle doesn't seem like the safest place to do it as it would seem very prone to slipping off the jack

Can someone set me straight on this?

Thanks

#3 ·
JCunningham said:
you need jack stands. you can just jack each wheel up one at a time as close to the wheel as you can but to be safe you need jack stands. when you get jack stands just jack it up on the pumpking in the rear and under the cross over in the front.
Pumpking?

I'm sorry to sound naive but what is that?

#4 ·
The pumpkin is what some call the differential, or rear end. I prefer to put my floor jack on the frame, and also use a jack stand for added safety. The manual does say to put the jack on the rear axle, but that is just to change a tire in an emergency on the road. I personally would not do any work under the truck with it just supported this way.

#6 ·
jack it up from the pumpkin and put a jack stand on both sides as far out on the axle you can get. when i jack up the front i jack up from the lower control arm there is a flat spot just behind the ball joint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.