Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Paintable Front Grill

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  0500757arf 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm not sure if I'm just not using the correct terminology or what but I'm looking for a fully paint-able front grill for an 04' Silverado 1500. I thought I heard them refereed to as "SS Front Grills" before but every time I try and find them I find the same exact ones, the ones that have the chrome center bar and primed surrounding part. The picture at the bottom is the type I'm looking for. I also heard of people painting their "Standard grills" (Ones with the big center chrome bar) but I heard mixed reviews on durability. I'd really like to paint my "Standard grill" (As long as it comes out nice and is durable and doesn't fade weird or chip easy) because I figure 1. Its already payed for and 2. I like the mesh on the "Standard grills" A LOT more then the mesh on the "SS grills". If anyone can point me to a link on the "SS Grill" for sale somewhere or a thread on people painting their "Standard Grills" that be awesome!

paintable front grill.jpg

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I think what you want is a billet grille insert. They go for about $100-$150, but can go way over that for some brand names. It's a mesh piece that is measured to fit within the middle of the grille. Some are two pieces that leave the center Bowtie, some require cutting that out. They just bolt through and you can't really tell the difference, but cutting out the honeycomb behind it makes it look a lot better, especially up close.

#3 ·
Dont want a billet grill. I want the whole assembly in a paint-able form. Whenever I google the "SS Grill" all that comes up is those damn billet grill insert things. I don't want grill inserts, I want a whole assemble where I can paint the center bar instead of having it be chrome.

#6 ·
im fairly sure the chrome bar is not real chrome but paint. You should be able to sand it down. Unless you have the paint guns and the tools, don't paint it yourself. If you try to rattle can your way to victory, it'll look terrible in a very short amount of time. Most rattle can stuff has virutally no UV protection and the color match will be off. You can get shop paint mixed in a spray can, but the atomization is always way off. You should be able to get a shop do it for less then 300$. You'll spend close to that in sub par materials if you try and do it yourself.

#9 ·
look at lmc truck. they have a lot of different options for getting grilles. the chrome that goes across the bar can actually just be peeled off if you dont want to buy a new grille. Mine is a 99 but I re did my grille with the color match. its rattle canned but it looks good i just did a plastic applicator prior to paint and then a sealant.
View media item 215978

#10 ·
Thanks inkaholic!! That's exactly what i was looking for. My buddies family owns a body shop that does painting so their giving me a great deal on having them paint my hood, tow mirrors, and front bumper cap so I guess I'll see what they say about the current one and what my options are with it. My one buddy painted his factory chrome one with a rattle can and all he did was sand it down but it got chipped and now its peeling like crazy so don't think I'm gonna rattle can it. Another buddies dad did a similar thing I'm wanting to do but with a tundra and he bought the "work truck/base" model grill that is that textured black material and had it professionally painted and it came out great so probably gonna wind up going that route.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.