Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

plasti dip thread

143K views 265 replies 151 participants last post by  jeremyreed 
#1 ·
I see lots of plasti dip thread showing up. Post up your plasti dip mod here. :D ill start mine!
Plasti dip my front and rear bumper, grille, bowties and silverado on the sides!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Dirt Road Kid DT said:
For the Silverado emblem on the door, did you remove them from the truck or mask around it? Your truck Looks great!
This question as well.

I'm intrigued about plastidipping my wheels, however I'm concerned about the durability of it? I live in Iowa...snow/salt, etc. I wouldn't want to keep redoing them a few times a year...

#5 ·
1BDZ71 said:
Dirt Road Kid DT said:
For the Silverado emblem on the door, did you remove them from the truck or mask around it? Your truck Looks great!
This question as well.

I'm intrigued about plastidipping my wheels, however I'm concerned about the durability of it? I live in Iowa...snow/salt, etc. I wouldn't want to keep redoing them a few times a year...

It's extremely durable, no matter what you put it on. I've had it on my bumpers for about 8 months, no problems at all. It doesn't chip, flake, fade, or anything.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
It will just peel off. no need for an xacto knife. Here is my basically half plastidipped truck.
Wheels, Grille, Bowtie, Front and Rear bumpers, step rails, and bed rails.
051 (2).JPG

049 (2).JPG

Attachments

#10 ·
door handles came black. Those are not Plastidipped. The Bowtie is completely plastidipped then taped off and sprayed the border with color match red from any local auto parts store. I did it about 4 months ago and have had no problems yet.

#11 ·
#17 ·
Make sure they are extremely clean first. Then make sure when you spray them, they are not in direct sunlight, not too humid, and above about 60 degrees. Should stick fine.

#18 ·
I'm almost finished with Plasti-Dippin my ride.. Only have the bumpers left, because I ran out of the stuff and can't find it anywhere. Both Lowes and HD are wondering what the hell is happening, as employees at both stores had to ask why I wanted it, and if I knew why it was going so fast all of a sudden. I explained what people are doing with it, they just gave me a weird look. Clearly, not truck modders..haha

@ Frost - To reiterate what PhiGam said, make sure they are clean. I used regular car wash to clean them, then rinsed and wiped down with alcohol. Also, multiple thin coats are better looking and longer lasting than 1-2 thick coats..

Anyway, here is my baby...

Side Body Molding

Front End - Honeycomb is just Plasti-Dipped, but the Bowtie and outer edge of the grille has been Plasti-Dipped, then sprayed with a glossy lens tint. Not supposed to be a mirror finish, but it could have been if I wanted it to.

Tailgate Emblem - Same as above, 2 products for final look.

Wheels - Wheel has been Plasti-Dipped, center cap has had both products applied. Tire is sprayed with Turtle Wax Black Tire Shine.

Side view of truck - Will get a full view after bumpers are completed.

#19 ·
Also, a quick note to future posters in this thread. With so many pictues being posted, it can take a while for the page to load for some people. Try to use the [gallery] tag instead of posting the full size picture. It's only a simple sigle click to see the full size pic, and makes loading the page much quicker for all.

#21 ·
well i used the brush on "dip" .... dont do it... i'll probably end up peeling it off and continuing the search for some spray... it doesnt go on evenly enough with a brush i just did the front and back bowties and they are pretty uneven... might try a couple more coats to see if i can even it out but i dont see it working....

#24 ·
brenteakins said:
well i used the brush on "dip" .... dont do it... i'll probably end up peeling it off and continuing the search for some spray... it doesnt go on evenly enough with a brush i just did the front and back bowties and they are pretty uneven... might try a couple more coats to see if i can even it out but i dont see it working....
I may be wrong, but I don't think any Plasti-Dip is meant to be brushed on. It will retain the brush strokes in the dried final texture. The can of dipping stuff is literally used to dip stuff, right in the can to either insulate something or give a grip to a tool handle. The spray cans are a newer product in that line.

You can find Plasti-Dip at most Home Depot and Lowes stores, or order online from one of them, and also at dipyourcar.com. The dipyourcar people have package deals that include spray and tape. They also carry the line of extras such as the glossifier and metailizer spray.

#25 ·
well it said on the can that it could be brushed on.... but like you said the brush strokes stay..... so live and learn.... the home depot near me doesnt sell it and most parts places have never even heard about it.... i guess thats the downfall of living in a small town... but oh well.. i'll find some... i was hoping to not have to order it but I might have to

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.