Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Problem with GM hood protector

3K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Silvery13 
#1 ·
I had the dealer put a GM hood deflector on my truck before I picked it up from them when I bought it 6 months ago.
A few weeks ago I noticed that one of the sides had drooped in towards the hood. They ordered a replacement for me last week and installed it. This one had the same problem out of the box.
They offered to put on a different one of my choice, so I had them order me a Bugflector II. I went to the dealer yesterday to pick it up as I was going to install it myself, i just needed them to remove the old one that they had installed.
Not to my surprise, the 4 metal brackets that held on the GM hood protector had rubbed through the little strips of plastic film that is installed to protect it.
I was never a fan of this design and now I have to see what the dealer will do to repair the hood.I'm not too concerned that they won't make this right, it's more of the pain in the ass factor right now.

Long story short, for those of your with the GM hood deflector on a NNBS, check your hood to see if the clips have damaged the paint.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry to hear this, but frankly I'm somewhat surprised they rubbed thru. The strips are made of something like Mylar and once installed and the clip is slid over, it's a tight fit. Just checked the screws on mine the other day for tightness and no such issues with rub thru.

#4 ·
I think the design of this protector sucks. I had originally asked the dealer provide me with the hood protector, mud flaps and wheel well liners and I would put them on myself. They were being nice and installed them on the truck for me for free.
Once I would've seen the hood protector design, I would've not put it on and returned it to the dealer and gotten something different. In hind sight, I should've had them take it off before I took delivery of the truck, but I didn't.

#5 ·
Now I'm aware of this; will keep a closer eye on mine.

#10 ·
I agree the mounting leaves something to be desired. I have had ones where plastic nuts pushed into factory holes and the screws went directly into the nuts.
No clips needed.

#13 ·
mooman,

I am truly sorry to learn that you are experiencing a vehicle issue regarding hood protector. I understand that the dealership is doing everything they can to resolve this issue. Please know that GM Customer Care is here on the forum and we are more than happy to assist. We are only a private message away!

Safe travels,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

#14 ·
The dealer just called today after checking their inventory of 2013's to see if they could swap out my hood. They don't have one in the same color which is Victory Red.
The other option they offered was to have the hood repaired and painted to blend. I'm not crazy about this option. I'd rather have my entire hood painted or a new hood (they come black primed I believe) and then painted to match.
What's your thoughts?

#17 ·
Update:
I dropped the truck off at the dealer on Tuesday to get the entire hood painted.
They just called with good and bad news.
The good news is the hood is repainted and looks good (to them)
The bad news is the well nuts that were inserted the hood when the installed the original GM hood deflector won't come out without damaging the hood.The new hood deflector I'm planning on using will not work with those well nuts, nor did I want to use them. Why they couldn't figure this out before the body shop painted is beyond me.
Looks like I'm getting a new hood after all.

In the mean time, I'm in a new 2014 Silverado as a loaner. Really nice truck and quiet. Too bad it's the V6 which cannot get out of it's own way if it had to.

#18 ·
ditch the hood deflector and get a clear bra

#19 ·
Are you getting a new hood on GM's dime?
The V6 is sluggish? All the reviews I read so far said it had good acceleration when not towing.

#21 ·
AbramJ said:
I bought the Bugflector II instead of the one from the dealer and have had no problems with it. I highly recommend it over the dealer installed deflector.
I have the same problem again with the hood inserts not being removable and with the suggestion of AbramJ, I went with the Bugflecter II. But I had to go and get some rubber washers and also had to use the old screws from the factory Bug guard. But it mounted up perfectly. Its unfortunate that I had to do this to hide the big digs in the paint. Since I'm the second owner on my truck, I can't even imagine that GM would even consider repainting mine. Really bugs me that it is all chipped up though.

#22 ·
Same damn thing happened to mine, and under 20K miles (2nd owner as well). GM needs to recall this product - it does NOT work as it should, unless the goal is to cut through the adhesive and scratch the paint. Piss poor design and is ruining paint and/or clearcoat. As an added bonus, I have the White Diamond Tri-coat, which would more than likely result in the hood never getting matched correctly even if repainted or entirely replaced.

#24 ·
Instead of the GM version, I went with the Aeroskin for my 2014.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.