Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Rattle Noise?

729 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  OlWhiskey 
#1 ·
Alright guys, I just purchased my 2006 Chevy Silverado with 160,000 miles. Yes I know that's a lot. But here's my problem.

When I come to a stop sign and then accelerate I hear a rattle noise that seems to be comming from ge back of my truck. I only hear it when I'm driving through small neighborhoods because I hear it echo off of fences and other vehicles.

****Note*****
Dealership replaced all U-Joints
Dealership did a wheel alignment

But I still hear th noise....if anyone could give me some help on what it might be that would be great.mim new to the truck world and I'm sorry if this is he wrong place to post this.

#4 ·
That is a tough one. Could be almost anything back there. Maybe even a wrench laying in the bed. Your best bet might be to have someone ride in the bed of the truck in the conditions that create the rattle. Then, maybe they can locate the exact source or at least zero in on the area of the truck it is coming from. That is, assuming it is being generated from the exterior of the truck. In most states, it is legal for passengers 18 and older to ride in the bed provided they are sitting down. Clear it with your state laws before doing so if you choose to try it.

#5 ·
Check the bands around the muffler - I had a similar rattling/buzzing sound on my '12 and it drove me nuts until I figured out that it was a loose band around the muffler. Is the sound hard to replicate? If so, try doing a brakestand (foot hard on brake, and then slowly give it gas). That's how I was able to replicate my noise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.