jQuery not supported.

Rattling noise in front end

Anyone else had the problem?

Re: Rattling noise in front end

Postby EKinMN » Feb 26 2011, 3:20pm

I bought the wife's Acadia at the same dealer I bought the truck from (an I am also a member of the Acadia forum). My dealer is used to me bringing in various data sheets, TSB's, etc. On more than one occasion, they have told me that I've taught them things they don't know. Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.... :?
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, R.C. 2" level, 275/65-18 tires, mudflaps, soft toneau cover, bed mat, side steps, and HIDGuy 35w 5000k HID's
EKinMN
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 146
Blogs: 6
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: All Terrain Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users
Related Topics  Front end noise   noise in front end   Front end noise help   popping noise from front end   Weird noise from the front end   Intermittent Grinding Noise From front end?   Banging noise coming from front end?   THUNKING NOISE coming from front end   2007 Silverado front end noise   Why is my front end making so mich noise?   chattering noise in front end drivers side   My2005silv. Making a clunk/pop noise in front end   Clunk/pop noise from front end when turning at low speeds   Front end clunk noise enter drive way and turning over bumps 
Exterior Sponsor
FREE Shipping on Truck Accessories!
Special Offers for SilveradoSierra.com members at AutoAnything.com

Postby Mikejustowns » Mar 02 2011, 11:19pm

Got the truck back Saturday. The dealer say I need new steering stabalizers. He ordered them and the truck is going in the Saturday. Hopefully that fixes everything! I'll keep you posted. -Mike
Found
On
Road
Dead
Mikejustowns
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 7
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500-Ext Cab-LTZ
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Jim08SLE » May 11 2011, 1:56pm

My '08 has a rattle noise near the glove box (or in that area) but it seams to be at highway speeds. I think I have it narrowed down to the plastic trim molding that goes up the passenger side of the windshield. If it is not that, then I am thinking it is something under the dash and I really don't want to take that apart.

To either rule-out or prove that it is that trim piece, I have a 150 mile round trip on the highway planned for this weekend. I am going to (and I hate to say this) duct tape that trim piece to the glass... just to see if the rattle does not happen on this trip.

I am hesitant to ask the shop to take a look at it initially... and this could be a good piece of advise for any future readers of this post.

Before taking it in, make sure EVERYTHING is out of the cab and try to reproduce it!

From experience: I complained about a rattle in my F150. Turned out it was a ratchet strap that was thrown in the passenger side map compartment. Very embarrassing. :oops:

Jim
Never forget the ones that got you there...you may need a ride back!
Jim08SLE
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 6
Blogs: 2
Year: 2008
Extra Info: SLE2 1500 Z71 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 2005GMCSS » May 11 2011, 2:00pm

Could be your intermediate steering shaft, tons and tons of complaints come in here to the dealership for that.
Last edited by EKinMN on May 11 2011, 2:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: PLEASE DO NOT use all CAPS!
2005GMCSS
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Year: 2005
Variant: SS
Extra Info: 5.3L PROGRAMMED
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby DaDeO [OP] » May 11 2011, 6:36pm

Haven't heard anything for awhile. Since maybe Feb.? If it starts again, like next fall or winter, it might be the problem Mikejustowns mentioned! I went to the dealer about the problem a while back, and showed them a copy of that TSB, and they said they hadn't heard anything about it! Yeh! Got my "bowtie" changed for a new one while I was there.
Original Poster
DaDeO
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 8
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Extra Info: 5.3L 4X4 Ext cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby bnulsen » Nov 21 2012, 3:51am

I took my truck to the dealer just before my 36K warranty expired to see if they could eliminate the rattle noise that I thought was coming from the glove box or the center console. They ordered a new glove box and installed it telling me that the dashboard was poorly installed at the factory. I have a hard time believing that. Anyway, now at 38K, it is worse. I received my first recall letter today indicating that the transmission dipstick comes loose and rattles. They have a fix and to bring it in. That happens to be exactly where I think the sound is coming from. I can't wait to take it in now. I was contemplating selling the truck over this stupid noise. I love the truck, but the noise is very irritating. I will update when I get it back.
bnulsen
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Extra Info: crew 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GM Customer Service » Nov 22 2012, 12:02am

I apologize for the inconvenience caused by this issue. Please keep us posted with the rattle noise issue and recall service. Please contact us if you aren't getting it resolved properly. I hope you have a good holiday.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance
GM Customer Service
Topics: 2
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby bnulsen » Nov 30 2012, 3:54am

I have a great dealer. I remembered on my way into town on my day off to call the dealer for my recall work. They got me in right away. The kids played on their guest computers and I looked at cars for 18 minutes and it was done. Unfortunately, this did not fix my rattle/squeek noise coming from or near the glove box.
bnulsen
Extra Info: crew 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GM Customer Service » Nov 30 2012, 3:19pm

Thanks for the update. Have you advised them that the problem is still occurring? Please send a PM with your VIN# and contact information if you plan to take it back. This information will be used to document your situation and monitor the repair progress. I hope this is fixed quickly for you.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance
GM Customer Service
Topics: 2
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby dalejrfan88 » Nov 30 2012, 4:45pm

bnulsen wrote:I took my truck to the dealer just before my 36K warranty expired to see if they could eliminate the rattle noise that I thought was coming from the glove box or the center console. They ordered a new glove box and installed it telling me that the dashboard was poorly installed at the factory. I have a hard time believing that. Anyway, now at 38K, it is worse. I received my first recall letter today indicating that the transmission dipstick comes loose and rattles. They have a fix and to bring it in. That happens to be exactly where I think the sound is coming from. I can't wait to take it in now. I was contemplating selling the truck over this stupid noise. I love the truck, but the noise is very irritating. I will update when I get it back.

I wouldnt doubt that there may be a poorly installed dashboard. Lately certain models now keep getting stress fracture cracks in the dashboards(by the glove box,which is unsafe) GM is starting to recognize this as a major concern. If you youtube "Gm cracked dashboard" you can see tons of poorly installed dashes
Attachments
f88302fa-64e9-102e-b690-c59cc0ed6221r.jpg
dalejrfan88
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 28
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2014
Extra Info: 5.3 ecotech
Group Membership: