jQuery not supported.

Replacing bowtie on tailgate?

Postby EJsZ71 [OP] » Jul 17 2011, 4:00pm

Dumb non-mechanically inclined guy question: Has anyone replaced the bow tie logo on the tailgate? I have a 2009 Silverado and the gold in the logo is deteriorating. I'd like to replace both the front and back with a black version. How difficult is this swap? I'm more concerned with replacing the back than the grill logo.

Thank you for your help.
Original Poster
EJsZ71
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2009
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Replacing bowtie on tailgate?

Postby silveradoblack » Jul 17 2011, 9:22pm

no the grill logo just snaps out of place from the back of the grill and the new one screws in the back logo however is just glued on so take like a hairdryer and heat up the glue and peel it off and replace with the new one its what i did on my 2010 model also and if you dont want to spend the money on new emblems you could paint the emblems your self and that would definitely be a cheaper option
silveradoblack
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2010
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby zandron263 » Jul 17 2011, 10:59pm

If you are still under warranty the dealer will replace it with a new one. You could also cover it with Vinyl for a more custom look and if you don't like it later it can just be peeled off. Here is what I did with mine. I have had it on since March no issues with it coming off yet and it was only $20
IMGP4417.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zandron263
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 5
Extra Info: Z71 LT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EJsZ71 [OP] » Jul 18 2011, 1:10am

Thank you for your help. The more I think about it, I may remove the tailgate emblem entirely and replace the grill emblem with a black one.
Original Poster
EJsZ71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby OlSmokie » Jul 18 2011, 1:51am

Zandron, is that just a vinyl sticker? I really like the looks of that and I think it would look great on my black truck.
OlSmokie
Topics: 29
Year: 1990
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby fox4wd1981 » Jul 18 2011, 4:24am

EJ, just my 2cents, but, when removing the rear emblem from the tailgate use a flexible plastic scraper with the hair dryer or heat gun if you have one to avoid any paint damage. I learned that the hard way when doing some badge and emblem removal on an 01 Sierra a few years ago.
fox4wd1981
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Topics: 57
Year: 2008
Extra Info: LT 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby nitrox28 » Jul 18 2011, 1:27pm

I de-badged my Silverado last night! The tailgate bowtie came right off. I heated it with a hair dryer, soaked it in Goo Gone, reheated it, then used a plastic putty knife wrapped in a microfiber cloth to pry it off. It was easy.
nitrox28
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 19
Extra Info: 1500 Crew Cab LT 4x2
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby zandron263 » Jul 18 2011, 7:22pm

OlSmokie wrote:Zandron, is that just a vinyl sticker? I really like the looks of that and I think it would look great on my black truck.

Yes you just spray the vinyl decal and the emblem surface with a little soapy water and position it smooth out any wrinkles or air bubbles then heat and dry it with a hair dryer, It took about 15 min to do each one. I got them on line from big worm graphics they have several different styles
zandron263
Topics: 5
Extra Info: Z71 LT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EJsZ71 [OP] » Jul 18 2011, 11:29pm

If I were to paint the emblems, is there a clear plastic cover type thing I need to remove before I would paint the thing?
Original Poster
EJsZ71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Replacing bowtie tailgate?

Postby GearheadZ71 » Jul 21 2011, 10:27pm

Ej, nope no clear cover, you can pick up some platic prep paint which will remove anything that might stop the new paint from sticking, also make sure you clean it really good before you spray it. Or like i did, you can take it to a body shop and they will paint it for about 25$ but i know alot of people who simply just cleaned it and sprayed it and it comes out just as good as mine just use the right paint like krylon or anything just as good.
Good luck and make sure you post some pics.
GearheadZ71
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 9
Extra Info: 5.3L V8 Ext Cab Z71.
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Exterior