jQuery not supported.

Replacing side mirror

How do you replace the mirror?

Replacing side mirror

Postby Trumpster1 [OP] » Jul 18 2010, 2:16pm

Has anyone replaced a side view mirror? I had a slight accident where I backed out of the garage a little too fast and smoked the passenger side mirror on the side of the garage. It cracked the plastic pretty good, but everything is still semi-intact. I've been running it like this for a few months, but would like to change it out. I found a replacement mirror on eBay for $60 (the dealership wanted $115) but I'm not sure on how to remove the mirror. Also, do you know if it's possible to change out the mirror from the standard power mirror with heat to the turn signal mirrors?

Thanks for your input.

Please feel free to contact me anytime at: Trumpster1@silveradosierra.com
Original Poster
Trumpster1
Technical Director
Technical Director
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 146
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2014
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: AT 6.2L crew std bed
Group Membership:
Administrators
Global moderators
Registered users

Re: Replacing side mirror

Postby 99chevyz71 » Jul 18 2010, 7:31pm

most of them just have 3 bolts and a plug im not sure about the heated and turn signal parts
2008 Silverado Ext. Cab
99chevyz71
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Topics: 5
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2008
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 5.3l V8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Trumpster1 [OP] » Jul 20 2010, 3:52pm

Okay, I figured that there are 3 bolts from the pictures on line of the new mirrors, but do I need to pull the whole door panel off? I'm not looking forward to it if I do, but it needs to be done, every time I bump into it with my shoulder it cracks a little more.

Original Poster
Trumpster1
Technical Director
Technical Director
Group Membership:
Administrators
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby 99chevyz71 » Jul 21 2010, 5:22am

should be a little triangle piece that pops off above the door panel not sure on the new bodystyle though
2008 Silverado Ext. Cab
99chevyz71
Year: 2008
Extra Info: 1500 5.3l V8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Trumpster1 [OP] » Jul 22 2010, 2:29pm

I just need to get in there and check it out. I've been putting it off long enough, it looks like crap and I really need to get it replaced. BUT, no one answered my question about the turn signal mirrors. If I'm going to be replacing one mirror, if I can get a pair of turn signal mirrors, I would want to put them on if possible. Can anyone chime in on this issue?

Original Poster
Trumpster1
Technical Director
Technical Director
Group Membership:
Administrators
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Dirtygray » Oct 18 2010, 1:24am

Not sure if you ever did this, but on my last truck which was a 07' tahoe it had regular mirrors no heat or signal, I ordered some from ebay and replace them myself and then had they dealer to flash the driver door switch so it all would work. If you won't to add the fold in you will definitely have to change the driver door switch assembly as well. Also, the dealer will tell you they can't flash it, so just tell them that you turn signals stop working and it's a done deal, Good Luck...
Dirtygray
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Agent Fawk » Apr 15 2011, 6:59am

This topic was posted a while back. However, I do not see any specific instructions or 'how-to articles' on replacing a side mirror. So, I wanted to ask for any more instructions on how you would go about replacing a mirror on a 2004 GMC Sierra.

I bought the truck with a rigged mirror(it looks like the person who owned it had a similar accident). However, the gentleman used drywall screws to "repair" the mirror. "A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do." However, I bought some chrome mirrors(99-02 Silverado) supposably compatible with my 04 Sierra. The problem I am having is the new mirrors have a chord coming out about a foot long with a plug end. It has three wires involved with this chord. My OEM mirrors have a group of wires inside the chord. I am not sure what I need to do to wire this together properly so it works. Also, the chord seems to keep going all the way down my door panel. I have tried to take the door panel off. But, there is a part of it that seems glued and I cannot pry or remove any screws. I am really lost here. I would appreciate any help from someone who has done this and knows how. Thanks

Oh, by the way, both new and old mirrors are manual folding, power operating, no heat, no signal mirrors. So, the functions are the same.
Agent Fawk
Topics: 12
Year: 2004
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Exterior