Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Rust on Frame - 2012

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  MPSilverado 
#1 ·
2nd question... been browsing the forum and noticed the rust problem with the GM frames.

Does GM repair this at not cost? I just bought my truck (less than a month), read this forum, and inspected my frame last night.

My 2012 Crew Cab has ~30K and I bought it certified with full warranty. Does GM cover this, and what is my first step to get it taken care of?

Thanks - Glen

#2 ·
If your truck is still under warranty they will fix it for no charge.

Just take it to the dealership and tell them that you have frame rust and it needs to be re-undercoated. If they say no, remind them there is a service bulletin out for it.

#3 ·
Hello glenklein,

I would be happy to assist you with the process of having your vehicle looked at by your local dealership for rust on the frame of your vehicle. I cannot guarantee cost assistance but I would be happy to create a case in our system to document your concern and set up an appointment with your dealership. I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue. If I can be of any assistance, please private message me referencing this thread.

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

#4 ·
Thanks all for your replies...

My dealer is ordering supplies and will fix this at no cost to me. It wasn't as tough an argument as I thought it would be. I had to show them the TSB number, which they had to look up and were unaware of (btw), but as soon as they saw it - they said "no problem" and are ordering the supplies.

I will say that I was a little surprised to find that I had to give them the TSB number - I would think that even though the general public wouldn't have this readily available, at least GM corporate would let the dealers know about the issue. It was the first they'd heard about it - and it's a pretty good sized dealership here in SW Michigan.

I've seen posts that mention "silent recall", or TSB's, but really GM? My dealer hadn't even heard of this issue?

#5 ·
My dealer gave me the run around but our friendly gm customer service reps actually helped me out. Actually the same one here helped me. My dealer ended up ordering the stuff for me after they contacted them. My dealer also told me they never heard of it before, I find it hard ot believe really.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.