Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Rust Repair

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  copper_head35 
#1 ·
Ive got surface rust on the cab corners and rocker panels of my truck; also the bottom of my ext cab doors are bubbled pretty bad. I was thinking of taking a wire brush to remove as much as possible, try to make it a nice clean surface; get some rust inhibitor and primer, then put some truck bed liner over the said areas.

I know this would not be a permanent fix, looking for a fix to get me through a couple years to buy some time and save some money for my next investment.

Curious as to what others have experienced with rust issues (not cutting and replacing pieces as that is not part of my budget at the moment), and how long they lasted until it was a total loss.

I will be sure to get some pictures and put them on here so you all can see what I am working with prior to your decision(s).

#3 ·
What grit flap disk should I be getting?

Also will I need to smooth the surface after using the flap disk for a better adhesion? If so what kind of grinding disk is used.

#6 ·
Going to go pickup a cheap grinder tomorrow morning and a disk and have at it!!

I know... its impossible to stop it completely, even cutting and replacing I will still be fighting it in years to come, in other spots. Price you pay living with winters...

Yeah how 'bout those Packers, eh? :oops: :roll:

#8 ·
Thats the exact one I had planned on! Cheap enough for the use I will get out of it...

40 or 60 hand sand, too, if I go that route?

Any suggestions on specific primer or bed liner / undercoating to use? Spray bomb undercoat?

#9 ·
80 grit
If your going to hand sand.

Rustoluem, it has rust in their name... but they should have a rust proof paint to start with.

Really, the more you get off, primer will work... if your trying to buy a few years time.

If you go to home depot or an auto store look and/or ask for rust inhibiting paint, it's been awhile since I have asked but I do know they are out there.

The "rhino line" material, that's entirely up to you. As long as you get the first layer of rust inhibiting paint, your good for.any route

#11 ·
It appears my driver side rocker panel has rusted through.... I poked the screwdriver right through it with ease.... so I now have a 1/4" hole plus the rust....

Passenger side seems solid. Just going to get them both replaced at the same time. :(

Thanks for all the information though you guys, much appreciated!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.