jQuery not supported.

Tailgate rust

Tailgate rust

Postby Babysitter [OP] » May 17 2011, 7:50am

My 07 tailgate is beginning to rust along the bottom seam, anyone see this happening to their similar year truck. Does any body know if the dealer will give me a hard time about the warranty. I don't use the truck for work, just transportation and towing the boat. The NE winters are probably taking their toll. I am planning on stopping by the dealer this week and am trying to prep myself for any of their foolishness. Thanks for any help guys...
Original Poster
Babysitter
Topics: 1
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  07-13 Rust issues? Any out of control rust pics out there?   I've got rust already!    Rust in all seems!!!   Rust on Frame   Rust solutions?   Frame Rust   rust in rockers   Rust Distance   STOP RUST!!!   Rust repair    Rust Problem   Rust Converter   Will the new frames rust out?   Covering Rust 
Exterior Sponsor
FREE Shipping on Truck Accessories!
Special Offers for SilveradoSierra.com members at AutoAnything.com

Re: Tailgate rust

Postby WingNut » May 17 2011, 3:04pm

Doesn't sound like it's rusting in a spot where you'd take a lot of road abuse. Can you post some pics?
Marine because.

WingNut
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 53
Blogs: 15
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Babysitter [OP] » May 17 2011, 10:39pm

I hope this photo was attached....it shows the paint bubbling and the rust starting to break through along the seem were the outer and inner skin are folded together at the bottom of the tailgate.
Attachments
Tailgate rust 5-17-11.jpg
Original Poster
Babysitter
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby WingNut » May 18 2011, 3:42am

I think I understand where you are talking about. Asuming your rust through warranty is still valid I'd say this: You would not be covered from rust caused by any of the scratches on the tail gate. The area you indicate is a different story. I'd say you should still be covered with two caveats. In order NOT to be covered, the dealer will have to prove to you that the rust areas were caused by damage you caused to the paint. Also, I'm not sure what you've been hauling in the back but be careful about volunteering too much information (materials with corrosive properties). Good luck!
Marine because.

WingNut
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 53
Blogs: 15
Year: 2004
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Babysitter [OP] » May 18 2011, 5:12am

Thanks for the insight, I havent hauled any thing that should have caused it. Last winter was pretty tough and they put alot of salt on the roads. Im thinking that it was just too much to ask of the corrosion protection. I will see what the dealer says and let you all know.
Original Poster
Babysitter
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby LuvMyTruck » Jun 10 2011, 3:35pm

I have the same thing on my 2008 Sierra 1500. I suggest everyone get to their dealer before the corrosion warranty expires. I suspect some sort of defect in the plating/corrosion protection with the metal used in the tailgate. I have a claim in process with the local GMC dealer. I'll keep you posted with the details.

TR
LuvMyTruck
Year: 2008
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby dpaul » Jun 11 2011, 2:24am

Except for rust, this a little off topic. I was born/raised in Detroit, Michigan. I have restored rusty vehicles and worked at Firestone doing brakes/exhaust/etc. I was used to using the "blue wrench" to remove exhaust and shock fasteners.

When I moved to Georgia, I purchased a 1974 International Harvester Scout II in 1989 for $200.00 and a Mountain bike. It had a 258 cu. in. straight six, which had the intake and exhaust intertwined together. It had an exhaust leak and I needed to remove and replace the intake/exhaust unit. I bought one from a salvage yard for $25.00. Based on prior rusty vehicle experience, I brought a can of break free, six point sockets, MAPP gas torch, drill, grinder, and no I did not bring easy-outs! Before I began soaking the bolts with break free, I placed an open end wrench on one of the exhaust bolts to see what size socket I was going to need to begin the day long battle of removing exhaust bolts. Just for giggles, I decided to try and turn the bolt with the open end wrench on the exhaust bolt... I applied torque and I heard a squeak as the bolt turned! I was able to remove the entire exhaust/intake unit with ONLY an open end wrench!

I feel for you guys having to battle rust on your nice GMC & Chevy trucks. They have came along way in preventing body rust through, but as everyone knows, rust never sleeps!

*** The author would like to apologize in advance for the HIJACKING of this thread with a silly trip down memory lane***
dpaul
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 19
Year: 2011
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jepics » Jun 11 2011, 2:54am

Rust that quick on a 2007? Oh, I don't like the sound of that. I stayed away from the F*rds because they rust out in only 3-4 years here in the NE.

I had a '96 Toyota T100 before buying the Sierra last summer - in 15 years, the body held up great - the rest of the truck disintegrated with the rust (frame, rear & front differentials, power steering lines, brake lines, fuel lines, upper & lower control arms, etc, etc). They had made great concessions for the Tacoma owners (full frame replacements) but did nothing for the T100 owners. The only thing the dealers would do is sell me a new one. I told them goodbye... I'm buying American.

Good luck with the claim and let us know what happens with the warranty.
If you want to do what you want to do, you have to do what you have to do.
--John
jepics
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 51
Blogs: 8
Year: 2009
Extra Info: SLE 5.3 V8 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby carlosgto » Oct 15 2011, 1:11pm

Babysitter, what was the outcome of your claim? I have the same thing happening to my 2009 Silverado.
carlosgto
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2009
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby LuvMyTruck » Oct 25 2011, 1:22pm

So, I finally have an update...I took the truck to my local GMC dealers body shop. I showed him the rust on the tailgate seem. So he says "have you checked the rest of the seems?" Sure enough, the hood, all 4 doors and the tailgate had rusted seems. All was fixed under GM's warranty. I suggest you all check the seems on your vehicle. If you see any rust at all, head to your local GMC dealer.

Today I have to drop it off to have an oil deflector added to the oil pan to stop my oil consumption problem.....2 quarts in <3000 miles.....I hate to pose this question but is GM's quality heading south again?????
LuvMyTruck
Year: 2008
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Exterior