Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Tinted Windshield?

2K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  bowtieguy12 
#1 ·
I'm going to be tinting my truck in a few days, and I'm planning on putting 35% on my windshield. I'm only going to be using the cling-on type tint, since my truck is already tinted 20% on the sides and rear, and I wanna see if I like the tint before I go permanent. So like I said my plan is to do 35% on the windshield, 20% over the 20% that's already on the sides, and I already have 5% over the 20% on the back.

My question is how can I make the shield tint less noticeable? I was gonna try to do a 5% eyebrow so that way it'll look like the windshield isn't so dark, but I usually drive with my windows down, and I'm just worried a cop might be able to tell. But then again cops where I live don't care about tint. There's 3 other cars here with shield tint, 2 of them their windshields are completely purple haha and they've had no problems, but I still wanna be on the safe side. And I was still able to run the 1% tint I have on the back on my side windows, but that was insanely dark. And you're probably asking why I'm even gonna tint the windshield? It's because I have 2 upward facing Sundown SA-10s in between my seats, and I don't want people to be able to see them. Especially since I'm heading to college this year.

#4 ·
I just got a 5% eyebrow put on Saturday, I plan on doing my windshield in 35% and going over all my other tinted windows with 20% also but I have to go to the eye dr to get a slip to take to the dmv so I can tint law exemption card.

Sent from Rusty's iPhone 5s

#7 ·
20 years ago I tinted my S10. Made it about a month and was pulled over and ticketed. Being young and bulletproof I fought it. I lost. Prosecutor enlightened me to opening up myself for civil liability. Also most insurance company's look for any reason not to pay a claim. Modifying your vehicle outside of DOT and state laws can destroy you should you be at fault in an accident. I pulled it off and bought some badass driving glasses. I looked just as cool.

Just sayin

LGSONE

#10 ·
I forgot about the sunshades. Yeah I doubt I wanna tint the windshield. I was skeptical in the first place. I'll probably just do a brow with no shield tint. But I'm still gonna do the side windows. I can always roll them down. Hell I even have them rolled down now in the middle of winter. Thanks for steering me in the right direction guys. I'm not trying to kill another driver or endanger anyone. I'm just trying to protect my stuff haha cuz I doubt insurance will cover the subs

#11 ·
20Sierra10 said:
I have my windshield tinted but I have 3M crystalline tint on it which is clear. Prevents heat from entering through the windshield so even on the hottest summer days my dash is just warm
+1, the new 3M Crystalline is awesome. I have a buddy who has it oh his truck and it works great. Just remember to take some rubbing alcohol after its installed and remove the logo's.

#12 ·
I had 5% all the way around and 35% on the windshield. I loved it driving during the day, but it was a complete pain in the a$$ at night. So I peeled the windshield. Left the other windows alone. Volunteer fire fighters get a tint exception. Woo! Haha, no tickets for me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#14 ·
If you have a sunroof you can pull back the cover and roll down the windows to let more light in. This is what is do with my car I own which is out of legal specs here in the state and have been ticketed for it. It will help some but not much. My RCSB 1500 I have done but I have 10% on the back window, none on the sides and a 5% AS1 Line Eyebrow on it.

Here is what mine looks like from the front-

You could also add the rear sunvisor which even makes the back and eniter cab darker. AVS makes this

#15 ·
I already have 1% on my rear window. And since I already have 20% on my windows, so adding another 20% should give me 4% according to my math. But the cling on tint seems to be lighter than what is advertised so evem though the math says it'll be dark it's really not that dark. With the 20% and 5% on my back window it comes out to 1%, but you can still see through into the the truck if the lighting is right.

#16 ·
Damn you can see through your tint at night with a flash light? Hell my tint had to be a five or something. I can't see through mine at night no matter how much light.

#17 ·
CamIsMacho said:
I'm just trying to protect my stuff haha cuz I doubt insurance will cover the subs
For what it's worth, about 13 years ago when I was in college, my car got broken into. Took my head unit, subs, cd's, etc... Before the insurance adjuster came out I called the rep to see what would be covered in stolen equipment. She said as long as it was bolted down and i could prove it, it would be covered. Since the box my subs were in was not bolted down, I hurried up and screwed some L brackets into the trunk to make it look like it was before being stolen. They covered it.
Long story short, not sure if it is the same rule with your insurance company being this was several years ago and times change, but maybe just mount the box they are in to the truck instead of tinting the windshield. Just my 2 cents

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.