Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

tonneau cover: Fold-a-cover vs. extang solid fold

14K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  TTS88 
#1 ·
I don't know which one to get i need opinions on both help me out i'm very picky

#2 ·
One of the reasons that I found this forum was looking for information on which tonneau cover to buy. I would buy the Extang Solid if I wanted a sit on top cover so that my tailgate key is all that I need to unlock it and I could remove it at will. They both look very nice so I don't think that you will go wrong with either of them.

I have decided (for the moment) to buy the BAKflip G2. My reason is that I will leave the cover on all of the time and I like the flush mount look. Now it's just a question of where to buy it for me. I hope your decision is easier than mine was, I was torn between the Extang Solid and the BAKflip G2, HD, or F1.

#5 ·
I just installed one I got from E-bay. It is a Tonno-Pro.(241.included shipping) Real nice thick cover typical of a car convertible top. BUT heavier. Like some though, I don't have a need or feeling of locking it, so this one is great for me. easy to fit, and folds real nice. I did look at the hard tri-folds, real nice but more money than I wanted to spend, Plus :p I didn't have an ATV to park on it.
Anyway thought I'd put my 2p in for just being here.
Well that's mine
Cheers

#9 ·
I bought the Extang Solid Fold for the security reasons. I bought the GM tailgate lock ($50) too. I paid $639 from gotchrome.com - free shipping. The spring latches grab under the bed rail and cannot be accessed from outside, only through the open tailgate. They are plenty rigid enough. I read others mention this cover shifts around, but I've found just the opposite to be true: it is kind of "sticky" to the bed rails.
It is not 100% waterproof, but with the factory bed liner acting as a drain system, things stay plenty dry enough.
I've had snap down covers in the past and was always concerned about security, although I never had anything stolen.
One more thing, I did NOT notice an increase in gas mileage with a bed cover, and I keep a close watch on my mileage.

#10 ·
How do these cover's roll up against the cab? One thing I am not sure I like about the bakflip is that it basically covers your rear window so you cant see behind you. Do these covers (extangs) stow the same way?

Going to buy a cover in the next two weeks for my new beauty :)

#11 ·
I have been a horrible person and never responded to any of the questions after my post, sorry......

The spring loaded latches seem to work just fine. I've had mine on now for over a year, the springs are finally broke in enough where my wife can latch it. They do their job by holding it in place. The Tri-Fecta is a soft cover so all it would take is a sharp knife to break in, but hey, out of sight, out of mind (still more secure than snaps). I have not noticed a bit of water leaking through any of the seals, the only time I've seen water in the bed is when I washed it and the water stream went through the sides of the tailgate.

Since it's a tri-fold, it covers about the front 1/3 of the bed (towards the cab). it latches down pretty tight and doesn't obstruct your view out the back window at all. I think I have some pics in my album of the cover, check it out. I will check now, if they aren't there, I will add them.

Good luck on your decision. Extang is definitely a great manufacturer.

#12 ·
I got the BAKFLIP F1 and love it. My last truck had the ARE fiberglass lid which is nice, but when I needed the full bed I was in trouble. I decided this time I would get something different. bakflip is well made...very strong, I can stand on it. I also added the bakbox which is a toolbox which sits on the rails and you can't see it when the cover is closed and it folds up flat and out of the way when needed so you have the full bed. Very happy with this cover.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.