Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Train horns

17K views 33 replies 24 participants last post by  cfesting 
#1 ·
Hello im looking at getting some train horns for my truck, im aware that in most places they are illegal but i plan on mounting them where you cant see them and if i get a ticket then so be it. Im wondering if anyone else has them what brand and style did you get and where did you put your air compressor at? there is so many diffrent styles i dont want to buy one that sounds like crap i want it to sound like a real train horn and be extremely loud without spending more then $500, thanks alot for all comments. :mrgreen:

#2 ·
I've been looking into this as well, I believe I'm going to mount my tanks (2- 3 gallon) on the passenger frame rail tucked up close to the cab. They will be on the outside.
I'm thinking about mounting my smaller compressors in the spare battery tray and the horns will be mounted behind the grille.

#3 ·
I dont know where you are from but i know here in Califonia its not the decible of the horn thats illegal, you can have as loud of a horn as you want. Its the excessive and unnecessary use of the horn that is illegal. It says right on the DMV website. Check your states DMV. I have a train horn on my silverado, and its well around 160 decibels. I bought my air compressor, air tank and wiring kit from 4 wheelparts and then i bought my train horn from another place. 4 wheel parts sales the cheap plastic ones, i prefer the 3 trumpet metal one. Or check out Klien, they have kits for sale on there website. I mounted my train horn where the stock exhaust was since i now have an after market exhaust, once the stock exhaut is removed it clears up a lot of space. As for the tank and the compressor, mine is mounted under the passenger side to the frame. They sell premade brackets at 4 wheels parts so you dont have to drill holes in the frame. Or if your tank and compressor is small enough you can try cramming it under the hood somewhere, but that all depends on the size of your tank. If you have any questions let me know. This is my second train horn. i had one on my 2004 silverado and now have one on my 2011.

#6 ·
I do not have any pics with me right now, i'm at work. I can see about taking some tonight when i get home and loading them on here.

Check out these links for brackets. I dont know if these ones are the ones i'm thinking of. Some of the brackets you just bolt the tank to it and then the brackets come with a large square shaped u-bolts that just bolt to the frame the same way you would bolt your axle to your leaf springs( no wleding or drilling). I'll do some more searching to see where i found them at.

http://www.viaircorp.com/Industrial/Par ... acket.html

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Towing/VIAIR ... _pl=102193

#9 ·
I went with the Horn Blaster Shockers. The total price came to $534 after shipping. The horns are four separate pieces, so they're easy to mount and conceal. I wired the air valve into the factory horn. The compressor and tank are in my tool box. They were relatively easy to install. The only issue I ran into was removing the drivers side headlight so I could access the horn. There's two bolts on top and a hidden one on the side closest to the fender. You will have to remove the grille support to take the headlight out. I mounted the four horns behind the grille, you can't see them. I'll try take some pictures today and post them. I absolutely love these horns. They have a nice and deep sound. They aren't like the wimpy chrome ones you see on ebay. You can feel the whole truck vibrate when you honk.

#10 ·
I had a 97 ext cab. I ran the "shocker 540" from Hornblasters.com. I mounted the hiorns where the spare used to live under the truck. There's a frame rail that runs at an angle near the back, if i'm not mistaken, that's where I had the viair compressor mounted. I had a 5 gallon tank mounted to the bed, directly behind the rear axle. I used carriage bolts for this so it wouldn't look like sh*t from the top. My truck was lowered 4/6 and everything tucked up nice with no clearance issues.

I got popped by Johnny Law once, but it was for "improper horn use", not for the decibel. I don't think he liked having me blast them within 10 feet of him ... guess that'll teach him not to hide in the trees behind stop signs. ( motorcycle cop, watching for stop sign runners )

I have the same setup on my 2011 now. Only this time I moved the horns further up, above the rear axle. The tank is closer to the rear bumper hanging from angled brackets I made for it. That truck sits at stock height and everything tucks under, nothing can be seen without getting under the truck. Both trucks had a seperate push button for the horns. I don't know if I have pics of the 97 setup on my other computer, but here's the 2011...

Attachments

#18 ·
kboyts said:
Who's fault is it that you chose not to wear hearing protection at work?
Dam. What a stupid comment. I'm not deaf and still dislike those horns next to my ear

#19 ·
Personally, I'll be ordering a set of Kleinn train horns.. texters, women doing their make-up while driving to work, cyclists using the middle of the lane when there's a bike path, and the fools who dare cut me off WILL be exposed to 152dB.

#22 ·
I know its not a "train horn" but it is a trucker horn pretty much. it has the line and everything plus you dont need the compressor. not to mention you dont need to drill a new button for the horn just put it in between your front paneling in the roof :D

#25 ·
Lot of the younger folks think these are cool but just understand if you ever use the horn on a public road and it contributes to an accident it is your rear. Not only civil but criminal as well..

Had a guy ahead of me use one on a group of people waiting for a bus just to watch them jump and one of the people jumped and went slightly into the road where I had to make a slight turn to avoid. If I see them being used I call them in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.