Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

What is a normal amount of frame rust for a '07?

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  CT2500HD 
#1 ·
I just purchased a 2007 Silverado Ext Cab, 77000 miles, V6 , for $10,000. Bought it from a Ford dealership who took it in on trade. I pick it up tomorrow. The only bad thing about this truck is the unusual amount of frame rust. I can't tell the extent of it but it does look like it at least has every bit of it covered with a surface rust. The body is fine though. I have been reading a lot of posts here and other places about GM's rusty frames which I knew nothing about when I purchased it. Are there certain years more effected? I just had a Tacoma rust out on me and I do not need this again.

I got such a good deal on this truck that I hate to take it back with the 48 hour refund policy they have if I don't have to. Maybe I am making a big deal out of nothing. I am in Indiana right outside of Chicago area and the truck has been up this way since the original owner purchased it although I do not know who that is. We see a lot of salt in the winter.

I only drive about 3600 miles a year. I will keep the truck in the garage and hopefully this will slow down the corrosion. I haven't been crawling underneath the other Chevys in the area but can't imagine mine is the only one like this.

#3 ·
I say return it. Keeping it in the garage wont do much in the way of slowing the corrosion. It has already started. I know you got a good deal on it but thats why you got a good deal. This is just my opinion, do whatever will make YOU happy. But then again your already thinking its going to be a problem. Are you going to be able to forget that?

#5 ·
Well, if it is surface rust, then just chalk it up to northern winters. If there are flakes of rust, then stay away from it. Besides, you say you "ONLY" drive about 36,000 a year??? At that rate, you will have 200,000 on it in 4 more years. It seems to me that you will drive it into the ground before the rust becomes a significant issue. A 2007 with just 77,000 miles for $10,000 bucks seems like a good deal. Maybe take it to a mechanic and have him put it on a lift and inspect before the 48 hours is up. Just a thought.

#9 ·
97Widerider said:
GP_RZ said:
My 08 that I bought back in 11 the frame was orange, it was an off lease with 30,000mi on it. I oil all my trucks and this one looked like it never saw 1 drop of oil sprayed on it.
How does it look today? Any worse ? Did you treat it somehow ?
I scraped all the factory coating that was peeling off, then mixed some bees wax with some tranny oil and some black pigment and sprayed the entire frame, seems to work and do the trick.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
This is why I typically buy vehicles out of Texas... they have a great climate.... however I bought this beauty locally... no rust and 13 years old!

1391269918277.jpg

Maybe you should think about coming to the south and buying a vehicle... they're usually in good shape and we're poor down here so they tend to be cheaper as well.

Attachments

#12 ·
I would seriously take a hard look at the frame again. Surface rust is one thing, but rot is another. Rot always comes after the surface rust, and typically from the inside out.

The worst of it is normally not visible unless you have it up on a lift, and even then, you can't see the top of the frame.

Check the drain holes underneath- if you can pull out sand and flaking/rotting pieces of rusted metal, it's just a matter of time before you'll have to get the frame worked on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.