Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Windshield Noise

7K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  retg 
#1 ·
During certain driving conditions; especially with heavy crosswinds, I will sometimes get a sound coming from the windshield that is similar to hail or sand hitting the windshield. There is no sand, there is no hail, but there are at times, this noise.
I'm wondering if some extra sealant might help at the top of the windshield.
Has anyone had this problem?
Thanks...

#2 ·
Check the rubber weather strip under the hood that runs across the top of the firewall contacting the hood when its closed.
It can rattle and cause this noise. Had that problem on my 2011 and fixed it on a interstate rest stop with toothpicks jammed into the weather strip guides.
I'm sure theres a better fix, but at the time it worked for me.
Also try the Google search at the top of the main page. Theres been alot of threads in here with the same issues.

#3 ·
When I bought my pickup the dealer told me to be careful of some of the bug guards as they can change the airflow directing it more perpendicular to the windshield and they would make this very noise.

Simple fix if you have one.

#4 ·
On the late model trucks had problems with weather stripping on each side of wind shield making noise. 3M tape is the fix to problem. Just remove it and clean up and re-install

#6 ·
I've seen people recommend removing the plastic trim piece on the outside of the windshield and putting a small piece of the 3m foam tape under it. Seems that most people experience it with a bug shield, but cross winds can cause it to do the same thing. I had that problem with my Sierra, but traded it off before I bothered fixing it.

#8 ·
Mine started when I installed the bug deflector as mentioned. I fixed it in 5 minutes by lifting the trim on the sides of the windshield slightly with my fingers and used a Popsicle stick to add just a drop of black RTV under the strip in 4 spots about 4 inches apart. Pressed it back down and wiped off excess. It's quite now! If you go the 3M tape route I would just use a few small pieces...new windshield might be PIA with a lot of that tape to remove. If you pull the black door weatherstripping back there are screws to remove the side strips...but I did not.

#10 ·
Thanks to those who posted suggestions. I'm going to go after the side trim pieces since that makes sense in a cross wind. I have bug deflector, just installed, but it did it before the deflector installation. It's intermittent and really depends on the wind. I put 2500 miles on it this summer on a trip and only heard the noise twice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.