jQuery not supported.

Chevy 6.0 oil pump replacement without dropping the pan

Forum rules
This is just a friendly reminder that the "How To" forum is not a place to ask questions or ask for help. What this means is it's not the place to request a "How To". This forum is meant only for members who wish to post the specific steps to complete a project or modification of some sort. All posts in here are put up for all to read and gain information on how to do something to their silverado or sierra. Please only post in this section if you have directions on how to do a modification, complete a task, or steps to take to resolve a problem. Thanks!

Chevy 6.0 oil pump replacement without dropping the pan

Postby WrensLawnCare [OP] » Mar 13 2013, 5:55pm

Ok this is mainly for the 4x4 trucks that require a whole lot of work just to drop the pan. On the 6.0 motors you have to do all the same work regardless. This way you just don't drop the pan. From what I have gathered you only drop the pan to access one bolt and if you wanted to remove the pickup tube.

To start you need to remove the flowing parts

-fan aground
- fan
- water pump
- harmonic balancer
- air intake tube
- battery
- timing chain cover

To get the pickup tube off it has a bolt on the inside of the pan. Yes it is a pain to get to. I used a wrench and broke it loose then when I thought I was at the last few threads I used needle nose pliers to work it out. I ended up dropping it in the pan but I got it out easily with a magnet. The front side of the pan is shallow to begin with. Once you have the bolt loose and the bolts holding the pump on removed you then have to wiggle it around to get the pump off.

With the pump off notice the flange that mounts to the pump.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363193588.876950.jpg

That tab prevents the flange from rotating. On the pump itself it has another bolt hole on the opposite side. So what you do is grab a dremel with a cutting disk and grind that tab off enough where you can turn the flange around.

This is after you get it turned around.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363193657.987366.jpg

Now you are ready to put it all back together.

I would like to thank Draysshop on YouTube for the video and info to get this done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Original Poster
WrensLawnCare
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 18
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2003
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 1500HD Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Chevy 6.0 oil pump replacement without dropping the pan

Postby codeykx08 » Nov 19 2014, 2:52am

Thanks for the info and pics! I have to do this to my truck this weekend. However I'm just trying to figure out what all pulleys I need to remove? Also if there is a special puller for the harmonic balancer? From a couple of the videos on YouTube its looked like almost all pulleys were off? Just haven't seen a good image on it. Thank you!
codeykx08
Topics: 3
Year: 2003
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500HD 6.0
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to How-To Articles