Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

How To Get Rid of Back Up Sensor Beeping

25K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  HARTWELLBILL 
#1 ·
I am new to this site and so this subject may already be covered but I had a problem with my back up sensors on my 2013 chevy silverado coming on and staying on while backing up. This occured in parking lots, home, anywhere and could not figure it out. Finally I took the reciever out of the hitch and it quit; however this was upseting because I keep a reciever in my hitch all the time.
I called the dealership and they now have a program that they can hook up to the 2013 models only and disable the two sensors closest to the hitch so that now your DIC screen doesnt say "sensor blocked" and you dont hear that annoying beeping sound while backing up anymore.
The two outside sensors still work and are plenty adaquate for saftey reasons.

So if you have the problem I did, call the dealer and they should reprogram your sensors for FREE! It takes 15 minutes.

Hope this helps someone...

#4 ·
LLAMA said:
You have made my day. Lol
I have hated those things since I got this truck and now I know why lol
Can they reprogram a 2011??
I am not sure. When I called my dealer they told me it was for 2013 only but with everything being computerized now days surely they could do it for the 11's. I just don't have the answer unfortunatley

#8 ·
chrsmddx22 said:
I keep a 2" drop hitch in my 2007 NNBS all the time and the sensors don't pick it up. Hmmm...
Same here, have never had an issue with it. I have however, had issues with ice, snow, dirt and a leaf or two blocking the sensors... :roll:

#9 ·
maybe the 2013 models are a little more finicky, who knows with technology now days

#10 ·
It will work with all of them. its called a wire clipper mod. you clip the wires going to the inside sensors. :lol: or just unplug them. I have no idea if this will work though. I do not leave a receiver in my hitch because in ny its illegal. in ny im sure some scum bag punk was keying some random strangers tail gate and tripped over the receiver then sued for a million dollars and won.

#11 ·
Now that I read the ops post, that does make some sense. I should have thought of that because, my trailer hitch pretty much stays in the receiver hitch. I shouldnt leave it in there when Im not using it because there has been a bunch of traler hitches stolen lately. I used to have a lock for it, but it got broke.
I may take it out today and see if that has been the issue this whole time.

#12 ·
I disabled the sensors on my 2013 Silverado Crew the old fashioned way. I removed the 10 amp position 20 fuse in the fuse box next to the instrument panel (see owners manual fuse box schematic). Then, I disconnected the positive batter cable for a few minutes. Hooked back up, and Voila! No more sensors! No warning in the DIC, no nothing! This can be simply restored by reversing the process. No wire cutting, no dealer fee to do something, etc.

#13 ·
Copperhead--What you did will absolutly work and is working for you. I just didnt want all four disabled so the dealer can disable the inside two closest to the hitch but your outsides still warn you if you are about to hit something or clip a pole that is in a blind spot. They are still useful for me and I never hear beeping until im two feet from smashing my bumper on something. They do not charge anything to program it that way and no wires are cut so you can put it back if you prefer.
Just a thought

#14 ·
No problem. We all have different needs and there are different choices. When doing odd things around the farm or construction, having those sensors is pure frustration. I never fasten up seat belts when I do stuff around the barn, cornfield, etc, so I already have that stupid seat belt beeper going off (will rectify that problem one of these days), and having the backup sensors beeping every time I get close to something, I have developed a mental block to all that beeping and I backed into a trailer the other day and bent the bumper because I was stupid enough to actually look at the back up camera image. If I would have just done what I did for the last 4 decades of driving, I would not have had a problem. This is the first time I have bent in a rear bumper since 1972. And all because of the backup stuff on my pickup. I am leaving the camera feature alone for my wife, but the sensors are no more. I don't have any of this nonsense on my 70 foot commercial semi and I don't back into things, I was a fool for falling for the hype about this stuff on my pickup. My fault and one expensive lesson.

#15 ·
I couldn't agree with you more. I have backed my boat for years with only side mirrors but now that I have a camera and all this technology I feel like I have to use it but it ends up taking me longer and backing worse. I need to do what you have done and just forget it all and go back to the basics.
When you get that seat belt ding figured out...hollar back cause that is one thing I could do without.

sorry bout your bumper too :/

#16 ·
largemouth said:
I couldn't agree with you more. I have backed my boat for years with only side mirrors but now that I have a camera and all this technology I feel like I have to use it but it ends up taking me longer and backing worse. I need to do what you have done and just forget it all and go back to the basics.
When you get that seat belt ding figured out...hollar back cause that is one thing I could do without.

sorry bout your bumper too :/
From what I have gleaned elsewhere, it is just a matter of unplugging the seat belt sensors under the seat itself. Seems the system defaults to "seat belts engaged". So, in theory, by unplugging the sensor, the pickup thinks you have your seatbelt on and keeps it beeps to itself. And supposedly, the dash light does not activate as well. We'll see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.