Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

How to Clean a K&N Air Filter

19K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Pathfinder17 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
K&N manufactures high-performance air filters for all types of vehicles. K&N filters can be recharged or cleaned over the lifetime of the vehicle. You should use K&N brand recharger products, including K&N Air Filter Cleaner and K&N Air Filter Oil. The entire cleaning process should less than 20 minutes, but drying time may take a few hours.
Use a K&N Filter Care Service Kit, available at all major auto parts stores and a low pressure nozzle-free garden hose. A filter cleaned with K&N cleaning products will ensure a lifetime of performance from your air filter. Instructions for cleaning your K&N air filter are on our Air Filter Cleaning Instructions page.

Steps
  • Reverse the 4 screws holding the air box cover in place and remove the air filter.
    [/*]
  • Apply the cleaner. Spray K&N Air Filter Cleaner onto both sides of the air filter until it completely saturates the pleated material. Apply cleaner to both the clean and dirty side of filter. Allow cleaner to soak into both sides of air filter for 10 minutes to loosen the dirt. Do not let cleaner dry on air filter.
    k-and-n-clean-01.jpg
    [/*]
  • Rinse off air filter with cool low-pressure water. Allow gravity to flush dirt out of air filter by applying water to the clean side of the filter; up and down the length of the pleats. Continue to rinse the filter until all traces of cleaner are gone. If the filter is extremely dirty it may be necessary to repeat steps 1 and 2. If there are spots of dirt remaining on the filter, spray each spot directly with cleaner, allow a few minutes for it to soak and repeat rinsing step.[/*]
  • After rinsing, gently shake off excess water and allow filter to dry naturally. Do not proceed to the oiling step until the filter is completely dry.[/*]
  • Apply K&N Air Filter Oil liberally to the dirty side of the filter only. This will allow for a visual reference of complete coverage.If using a K&N aerosol spray, spray an even amount of oil along the crown of each pleat.
    [/*]
  • Wait 20 minutes for the oil to be absorbed into the filter media. Inspect the clean side of the filter for any areas that are lighter in color. Touch up these areas in the media by applying oil to the dirty side of the filter. Continue oiling procedure until there is an even red color over the entire surface of the clean and dirty side of filter.[/*]
  • Before reinstalling filter back into vehicle, inspect it for damage. Follow any and all specific installation instructions that came with the K&N Air Filter.[/*]

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
#5 ·
It is easy to over oil, but it is easy not to as well. Quick even speed when re oiling. It should be coated but not dripping wet.

#13 ·
Here's a couple observations.

First, most people clean these filters WAAAAAY too often. I read that people do this as part of a "routine" every (------ insert mileage) and that actually defeats one of the primary benefits of spending good money on one. Unless it's so dirty you can barely see the mesh...it's probably good.

Second, most people use WAAAAAY too much oil on them when they do recharge them. The filters for these trucks require only about 1.2 ounces of oil...that's not a lot at all. If you can look at it, and without really looking hard, and see oil...it's probably too much. Over-oiling can wreak havoc on downstream sensors. So less(in this case) is more.

It's not exclusive to this vehicle. I see/hear of it from other forums and in real life.

In all actuality, it's a part most akin to a RONCO(for those old enough to know what I'm talking about!lol) "Set it and forget it" part than any other serviceable item.

#14 ·
I bought all that K&N stuff for my aircleaner and still have it as a "backup".
Too much time investment/labor. I decided to use an OEM type by WIX. R&R in less than 5 mins and back to drinkin' my beer which didn't have time to get warm lol.
Good writeup tho. So many types of good beers... so little time. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.