jQuery not supported.

How to Change Rear Differential Fluid

Changing diff lube yourself is easy
Forum rules
This is just a friendly reminder that the "How To" forum is not a place to ask questions or ask for help. What this means is it's not the place to request a "How To". This forum is meant only for members who wish to post the specific steps to complete a project or modification of some sort. All posts in here are put up for all to read and gain information on how to do something to their silverado or sierra. Please only post in this section if you have directions on how to do a modification, complete a task, or steps to take to resolve a problem. Thanks!

Re: How to Change Rear Differential Fluid

Postby 6Sixathome » Oct 18 2011, 11:23am

EKinMN, have you changed the front diff, trans, and transfer case fluid yet, also PS fluid?
Image Bilstein 5100's, Signal mirrors, ADVENT OGM1, CS-GMTR1B rear view camera,
BBP tuned, AIRAID Jr. with SynthaMax Dry Filter, RX Catch Can, 2014 SIERRA 18" Z71 wheels
6Sixathome
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Topics: 62
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2008
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: CC 1500 5.3 V8 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby EKinMN [OP] » Oct 18 2011, 1:37pm

I have done front and rear diff's. I have not done the others yet.
Front differential is very easy. Just drain, wipe the gunk off the magnet, and refill with 75w90 synthetic.
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, R.C. 2" level, 275/65-18 tires, mudflaps, soft toneau cover, bed mat, side steps, and HIDGuy 35w 5000k HID's
Original Poster
EKinMN
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 146
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2010
Extra Info: All Terrain Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby Rashiki » Nov 06 2011, 9:12am

Nice job. Did yours reek to high hell like the ones I hav changed?

I'm about to do all the fluids in mine before winter, it just sucks that the manual calls for two different weight fluids for my front and rear diffs
Rashiki
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 4.8l V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EKinMN [OP] » Nov 06 2011, 2:29pm

Mine smelled a little, but remember, there was only about 10k on the truck when I did it. So I did not expect it to be bad. On a 50k mileage truck or more, it would be pretty stinky, I am sure....
Last edited by EKinMN on Jan 22 2012, 6:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected my own spelling error.
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, R.C. 2" level, 275/65-18 tires, mudflaps, soft toneau cover, bed mat, side steps, and HIDGuy 35w 5000k HID's
Original Poster
EKinMN
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Re: How To Change Rear Differential Fluid

Postby BuxCamper » Nov 06 2011, 3:36pm

EKinMN wrote:I have a thing about changing all the fluids early, especially with as much towing I do, and the fact that I wanted to get Amsoil in everything. 10,000 miles may be a bit soon, but I believe in getting fresh fluids in the vehicle after break in. I did the oil at 1,000 miles; differentials at 10,000 miles; and will do transmission shortly. From there on, I follow a normal interval.

Just read a tech bulletin on Amsoil's site Differntial Break-In TSB which recommends changing the differential oil in the first 5K-15K miles to get the initial wear particles out. I tow a good sized trailer too so this is definitely on my list now. I was planning on doing it around 10K like EK but I may do it as early as 5K or when the weather gets comfortable enough to do it in the spring.
-- Mark

2011 Chevrolet Silverado LT Extended Cab 4x2 with 5.3L V8
Steel Green Metallic (sure looks gray to me)
Advantage Torzatop
Raptor Stainless Steel 4" Ovals
BuxCamper
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 11
Year: 2011
Extra Info: Ext cab 5.3L V8 4x2
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EKinMN [OP] » Nov 06 2011, 3:38pm

That was me, too, but spring came late last year, so I waited until it was warm enough in the garage to do it.
Original Poster
EKinMN
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby starspangled6.0 » Nov 06 2011, 4:00pm

Rashiki wrote:Nice job. Did yours reek to high hell like the ones I hav changed?

I'm about to do all the fluids in mine before winter, it just sucks that the manual calls for two different weight fluids for my front and rear diffs

I changed out my fluids at 115,000, and it smelled really bad. I was surprised when I smelled the new fluid- it smells exactly the same as the old stuff.

I'm pretty certain both the front and rear diffs get 75W-90 synthetic... check out AMSOIL.com- they've got a really nice system with all the specific lubes for your specific truck.
07 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Crew Cab Dually
04 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Extended Cab w\Hiniker 8.5 V
03 Sierra 2500HD 6.0L Extended Cab w\BOSS 8.2' V

http://www.integrityoutdoor.biz
starspangled6.0
Topics: 307
Year: 2007
Extra Info: 3500HD 6.6L Duramax
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Z15 » Nov 06 2011, 5:41pm

Gear lubes smell especially EP (Extreme Pressure) GL5 spec'd because of additives used in gear lubes; zinc, phosphorus and sulfur are the main ones that are used.

Sulfur Based EP-Additives

We offer sulfur based EP (Extreme Pressure)additives from DIC Corp., Japan. These are widely used in Automobile Industry for Gear Oils, Engine Oils, Greases. They also have important applications in Industrial lubricants for Gear oils, Greases, Slideway oils and Metal working fluids in Deformation process, Cutting & Grinding. These are sulfurized Fats, Olifins, Fatty acids and Esters.
Mike
Image Dealer

Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Topics: 131
Year: 2012
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: AWD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby WingNut » Nov 07 2011, 2:44pm

I'm getting ready to change the fluid in my deff. Rather than buying a pump, this sounds like a perfect opportunity to make a special tool. With a brass hose barb fitting and some polyeuathane tubing we can make a nice gravity feed system. Let you know the results soon.
Marine because.

WingNut
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 53
Year: 2004
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby nerijusj » Feb 08 2012, 3:51am

Thanks for the write up EK! Did both diffs today. One thing that was different on my 07 NBS was rear diff cover gasket. It was some sort of pressed paper material, not rubber/ metal :x . I wish I had some rtv silicone handy, cause it seemed pretty thin. I guess they updated for later year models. Anyway, I'll keep an eye on it. Also, to have more work room up front, I jacked up front driver side. When fill/drain bolts were out, I jacked up front passenger side to help it drain quicker. Then again driver side to put the drain bolt back in and fill with fluid. Took jack out to level the truck and let some overfill fluid drain through fill hole.
nerijusj
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 3
Year: 2007
Extra Info: 5.3 SLT Z71 Crew
Group Membership:
Registered users
PreviousNext

Return to How-To Articles