jQuery not supported.

How to Change the Water Pump on a Chevy Silverado

Step-by-step instructions on how to replace the water pump on a chevy silverado truck.
Forum rules
This is just a friendly reminder that the "How To" forum is not a place to ask questions or ask for help. What this means is it's not the place to request a "How To". This forum is meant only for members who wish to post the specific steps to complete a project or modification of some sort. All posts in here are put up for all to read and gain information on how to do something to their silverado or sierra. Please only post in this section if you have directions on how to do a modification, complete a task, or steps to take to resolve a problem. Thanks!

How to Change the Water Pump on a Chevy Silverado

Postby SilveradoSierra.com [OP] » Feb 09 2010, 2:04am

How to perform a water pump replacement on a Chevy Silverado

Things You'll Need:
  • Container for old antifreeze
  • New coolant/antifreeze
  • Socket wrench
  • New replacement water pump
  • Shop towels

Proper maintenance of your Chevy Silverado’s water pump ensures a well functioning cooling system for best engine performance. Leaks on your engine’s water pump can easily lead to overheating causing serious damage to your truck’s engine.
If your water pump is failing, here are simple steps you can easily follow on how to replace a water pump in a Chevy Silverado and save yourself from spending so much on major engine repairs.

Before you attempt on doing anything on your engine though, you should first disconnect the negative battery cable to avoid electrocution or to prevent sparks from igniting any gas vapors which could only mean a chief disaster.

0d281d7d6f.jpg

Steps
  1. Drain the radiator of its coolant by removing the drain plug located underneath the radiator. Make sure you catch all the coolant using a container and keep the solution clean.
  2. Disengage all engine parts attached to the water pump with the use of an adjustable wrench which include the ducts, hose, fan, clutch, and belt.
  3. With all attachments removed from the water pump, loosen the bolts which securely hold the water pump in the block. Once separated from the block, you will notice two gaskets which could either be joined with the water pump or left attached to the block. Get rid of these gaskets.
  4. Prepare the new Chevy Silverado water pump to be installed and make sure to clean the edges using a scouring pad and scraper eliminating metal splinters. Do not forget to attach new gaskets to the water pump you are about to install.
  5. It is advisable that you apply high temperature automotive sealant to the block before you install the water pump on your Chevy Silverado and make sure that the gasket does not go out of place during installation.
  6. Once the water pump is properly positioned, tighten the bolts. Reattach the engine parts securely to the water pump. Replace parts like a leaking hose with new ones to maximize engine performance.
  7. With everything in place, reconnect the drain plug to the radiator and fill the latter with coolant before you rejoin the negative cable to the battery.
  8. Start your Chevy Silverado engine to test if your water pump is working properly and to detect possible leaks which could come from loose adjoining hose in your water pump.

With just 8 easy steps, you now know how to replace a water pump in a Chevy Silverado truck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Original Poster
SilveradoSierra.com
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 31
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: How to Change the Water Pump on a Chevy Silverado

Postby dmarsh12386 » Mar 09 2010, 3:40am

hi i have all the parts for the replacement but im not sure of all the tools I will need. I know you said that it will require a socket but im just wondering if there is anything else l will need and what size the sockets will need to be. Thanks alot for this and for your time.
dmarsh12386
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2005
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby lzn197 » Nov 26 2010, 7:06pm

Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby starfd2 » Oct 29 2011, 12:46am

Looking for the second video....can you point me in the direction that I might find it thanks, I've got a 2004 silverado 5.3l Z71 that I have to replace the water pump on......never replaced a pump by myself before.......looking for all the help I can get. Thanks
starfd2
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Extra Info: z71 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EKinMN » Oct 29 2011, 3:54am

Hi, starfd2. Welcome to the site. I think this is what you are looking for:

2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, R.C. 2" level, 275/65-18 tires, mudflaps, soft toneau cover, bed mat, side steps, and HIDGuy 35w 5000k HID's
EKinMN
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 146
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: All Terrain Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby G-Force » Oct 29 2011, 3:47pm

Thanks for sharing.
G-Force
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 7
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2011
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby starfd2 » Oct 30 2011, 12:30am

That's it Thanks
starfd2
Extra Info: z71 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby evensteven3 » Jan 09 2012, 6:59am

The silicone on the gasket will also prevent any leakage due to warp (any steel surface can and will warp over time even if you can't see it.) Something commonly overlooked when a pump goes out often is the surrounding pulleys while you have the belt off you can check that there is no severe play in the other pulleys and the tentioner is strong. With the belt on (without specialty tools) visually inspect the belt to see that it is running around the pulleys perfectly straight. Good lock to ya :D
evensteven3
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 4
Year: 2011
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: Max 4x4 6.2L Crew
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby Shrike » Feb 17 2012, 4:11pm

Gret video !... Thanks for walking me through this repair! Love this truck!...
Shrike
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2003
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby wtp5ck » Mar 15 2012, 2:30am

My son came to me with a coolant leak. I have to tell you I have not worked one a vehicle in a long time. I looked up how to change a water pump and found this video and I want to thank you for sharing the information. I save at least $400 on this job and it was an easy step by step remove and replace. I was able to replace the belts and hoses as well. Took it for the test drive and everything is great. New water pump, thermostat, belts and hoses, 5 hours of labor ( I worked slow so as to not miss anything ) and it was very simple. So thank you again for sharing that video and I hope I can utilize this site more for working on my sons truck. --ck
wtp5ck
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 1500 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to How-To Articles