Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

How to Clean Your Engine Compartment

100K views 140 replies 86 participants last post by  Leveled17yeti 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Cleaning your Engine Compartment not only looks good, but helps remove old oil, tar, dirt, grime, and contaminants. This in turn may help your engine run cooler. If for no other reason, it looks good to have a clean engine bay! A friend and co-worker of mine showed me this method. I tried it and was impressed, so I thought I would share.

Supplies:
A can of degreaser with a pump sprayer, or simply use what I use, which is "Simple Green".
A can of rubber and vinyl protectant like Meguiar's Natural Shine.
Some rags
An old toothbrush
A water source, like a garden hose.
A bucket, sponge and vehicle shampoo; because you will be washing the truck, too.

Step 1:
Start with a cool engine, with the hood open.
Take a good look at your dirty engine, because it's about to get nice and clean!
Dirty Engine 1.jpg

Step 2:
Set your degreaser nozzle to spray. Spray the entire engine compartment, focusing on the dirtiest areas around the oil filler, head gasket covers, brake reservoir, and what ever is most dirty on your truck.
Do your best to avoid spraying into electrical parts directly, including the alternator.
Spray from various angles. Remember everything has a top, bottom, and sides.
Let the degreaser sit for a few minutes. With Simple Green, I wait 10 minutes, or until the stuff starts to dry.
Use a rag and an old toothbrush to scrub any set-in grease or stains.

Step 3:
Use the garden hose to spray off the degreaser.
Be extremely careful to avoid the major electrical components. Less is more, here.
After rinsing the engine compartment, look again for set is stains, and clean with rag or toothbrush.

Step 4:
While the engine is still wet, spray the engine compartment with the protectant. Spray it generously, but as stated before, try to avoid things like the alternator, etc. Spray everything that you want to shine, like the steering rod, support rods, hinges, firewall, etc.
Close the hood.
Start the engine.

Step 5:
While the engine is running, wash the exterior of your truck.
Take your time, you need about 15-20 minutes for the protectant to work.
What is happening is, as your engine heats up it begins to evaporate the water, and dry the protectant. Kind of a mini-steam cleaning!
After the wash, dry your truck, and turn off the engine.

Step 6:
Open the hood. WOW!
Clean Engine 2.jpg

Wipe down any areas that have water puddles or too much protectant.

You did it!

Another set of BEFORE and AFTER pictures:
Dirty Engine 2.jpg

Clean Engine 1.jpg

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
never thought of the closing the hood thing good call

note to self......do that

#5 ·
Eric, damn! Looks great.

One note though, and I have experienced this firsthand with a carburetor rebuild...Simple Green, while being a great degreaser, if left on aluminum pieces too long, such as the alternator or throttle body, will start to oxidize the metal within 15 minutes. One should make sure that when using that product, they make sure they rinse off any metals very well. Even if it pools under something round, such as the lowest point of the curve or on top of the engine, it will make the piece look considerably older than the pieces around it...just sayin'.

#7 ·
Another degreasser out there is BH-38 if u can find it i think my dad got it from napa, under the counter though in 5 gallon buckets

down side is that if u let it sit to long itll strip paint off, its some serious stuff

#9 ·
Looks good, Eric! It makes me want to go through some mud, just so I've got an excuse to clean it up :D!

#12 ·
i just completed this process and i was more than impress, i cant wait to tell my friends I CAME UP WITH THE IDEA :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

#13 ·
Wait just one darn second! I stole this idea from a co-worker. If anyone gets to claim it as their own idea, it ME! :lol:

#16 ·
Happy to help.

I did the wife's car this past weekend. Rather than using Simple Green as a degreaser, I used a product called "Greased Lightening". It worked very well, with no concerns about discoloring the aluminum, as Simple Green might do. Just wanted offer an alternative degreaser that has equally good results.

#18 ·
You're the man Ekinmn!! I'm definitely bookmarking this post for this spring when I clean mine. I have a quick add. I was told by my father to cover the alternator with some aluminum foil and you don't have to be so careful about getting water in it. I did it on my other cars, no problem. Also make sure you take the foil off before you start your truck because it can overheat

#21 ·
I did this on my other car last weekend...after 6 years of dirty engine bay, looks like new:

1. Engine Brite Degreaser
2. Immediately rinse very well with garden hose
3. Wipe off pooled water with towels
4. Spray on CD2 Engine Detailer (armorall type stuff for engines)
5. Close hood and run engine 20 mins

Looks awesome! CD2 is sort of hard to find though...good thing I bought 2 cans. Will do it on the truck too once it gets dirty

#24 ·
I tried Purple Power and was not as pleased as the results I got using Greased Lightening. So far that's the best engine clear I have used in this process.

As far as spraying water...use your best judgement. make sure the engine is cool. Avoid all the electrical areas as much as possible. Alternator, fuse box, etc. Remember, the engine is designed to get wet...just try to avoid a direct hit with a hard spray. You are not using the water to clean, just to gently rinse away the degreaser.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.