jQuery not supported.

How to: Diablo inTune

General instructions for someone just receiving their Diablo inTune to prepare it for the vehicle.
Forum rules
This is just a friendly reminder that the "How To" forum is not a place to ask questions or ask for help. What this means is it's not the place to request a "How To". This forum is meant only for members who wish to post the specific steps to complete a project or modification of some sort. All posts in here are put up for all to read and gain information on how to do something to their silverado or sierra. Please only post in this section if you have directions on how to do a modification, complete a task, or steps to take to resolve a problem. Thanks!

Postby Machster69 [OP] » Feb 19 2013, 10:39pm

How To: Diablo inTune

This will cover basic information for those initially receiving an inTune. This is not intended for those who already have the programmer and are more familiar with the in depth functions. The intention is to reduce the common questions involved with the initial updating of the inTune, also the basic tuning and restoring options available.

Requirements:
• Skill Level: Anyone
• Time: 1-2 hours
• Special Tools: A computer running windows is preferred; however a Mac can be used with some extra steps(These steps are explained later). The supplied USB cable, OBD cable, and the inTune itself are required. This will only be good for one vehicle. If doing more than one vehicle, another inTune will be needed.

Goal: The goal of this how to is to assist the new user in updating/registering their inTune. It will also show the common menus met while operating the tool.

Step-by-Step Instructions For Preparing The inTune:
Windows 7 Pro instructions:
The first thing you will want to do is gather the supplied USB cord and plug the inTune into the computer.

Let the tool load, its takes about a minute before it finishes turning on.

You will receive a pop up similar to this...

Just wait, this drive does not contain the software for the updater. Within another minute, another drive will load and give a popup like this.

If you do not get this pop up you can goto “My Computer” and double click the diablo tool logo located in this folder.

The auto updater should now launch and run. It will search for updates and install them as necessary. NOTE: Some updates might install before it asks you to register the tool.

Once the tool has downloaded the updates, it will enter into a “preparing/writing” cycle in which it prepares,writes, and verifies each update it captured. The tool will go through this process for each update, this can take a while depending on the amount of updates. BE PATIENT! It is NOT stuck at preparing, it takes time. Go do something!

During the update process, the inTune “might” ask you to register. This “might” depends on if the tool came registered or not. This is painless and involves entering your email address and vehicle type. Once your email address is entered, you will receive a code to enter. Entering the code completes the registration process. You can view the registration status, current firmware, the tool’s locked/unlocked status, and more info inside the info.xml file. This file is located in the intune drive and labeled “info.xml”. You will need to open this file with a text editor tool.

Mac OSX Instructions:
The instructions for Mac OSX are covered in the following video

Loading A Tune To The Vehicle:
You will need the supplied OBD cord for this. The OBD is generally located under the driver dash.

Quick note:
Secure anything that can cause any voltage fluctuations on the vehicle. This includes aftermarket parts, lights, head units, etc… Also anything on the truck that will come on and off. I like to close my doors and let the truck relax lol. I also turn off my headlights and ac. One tip for nnbs owners is to close the door’s latch switch, it will make the truck think the door is closed but still leave you some fresh air!

The Diablo inTune comes with canned tunes. These canned tunes are preset tunes that can modify the stock vehicle with different level of performance based on the settings chosen. Several options will be available to you depending on your vehicle.

Custom Tune - only appears if you have a custom tune loaded onto the tool. Custom Tunes are written by a Diablo CMR. This tune is written specifically for your vehicle. Our site sponsor is 06MonteSS(Lew). He can be reached through our site for setting up your custom tune.

Other Tunes you might see:

Diablo Tune
87 Octane tune
MPG Booster tune
Modify Stock tune

Now keep in mind, with the exception of the custom tune option, these tunes will still give you the option of modifying some of the parameters before it asks you to install them. It will ask you “Do you want to modify this tune” before it installs it and thats when you click “the check” and change what you like! For instance, if you choose an 87 Octane Tune, that tune includes a set of ECM Settings. The inTune will still ask if you want to modify aspects of the tune such as fan controls, dod/afm setting, rev limiter etc… All of the tunes will ask you if you would like to modify a portion of the tune before installing it.

Using Drag and Drop:
This tool uses drag and drop interface for adding custom tunes to the tool. It also is used for sending your information/files into Diablo in case technical support is required. This is as simple as dragging files from the inTune drive, onto you desktop and sending them off to Diablo by email or through the forum. Receiving a custom tune and installing it works much the same way. Drag from the desktop onto the inTune drive and they will import into the tool. The inTune will give a confirmation on the tool itself of importation of a custom tune.

In my case, this tune is already loaded onto the tool. You will receive a confirmation on the inTune itself.

Restoring Original Backup To Vehicle:
Cant get any easier than this people. Plug her in, and click restore! 2 minutes! Done! Be sure to keep in mind the voltage fluctuation rules…

Using Adjustable Parameters:
This allows the user to go to the current tune written and make changes to the settings of that tune. This lets the user start from where they left off versus building a new tune from scratch.

Conclusion:
The inTune is a great product that offers both user friendly settings that anyone can use, while also maintaing the ability for those with advanced knowledge to modify aspects of their chosen tune to squeeze out even more performance than the canned tunes allow! If your really seeking custom performance be sure to give a shout out to a Diablo CMR for a custom tuning solution that is built for your exact vehicle.

Last edited by Machster69 on Jul 03 2013, 10:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Links Repaired
Original Poster
Machster69
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 107
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 5.3 SLE 2wd
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Re: How to: Diablo inTune

Postby Voodoo » Feb 19 2013, 10:44pm

Awesome write-up my friend.....Gonna help many members.....
Voodoo
Topics: 157
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2016
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: LTZ 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby Foghorn14 » Feb 19 2013, 11:07pm

Great detailed write up! Only thing wrong with it was that it wasn't online when I got my Intune in December. I was afraid I'd screw something up and I could see the tow truck pulling me into the dealer to flash my truck. Thankfully that didn't happen. :lol:

BTW: You mention voltage fluctuations. I usually cut off the ac/heat/fan and radio. I couldn't decide if it was a good idea to cut off the auto headlamps or to leave them on. I didn't kill the lights. What is best practice? They are going to come on when I turn the switch to run, should I cut them while the Intune is reading?
2017 GMC Sierra Denali
5.3 L 8 speed

Foghorn14
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 15
Year: 2017
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: Crew 5.3 4x4 3.42
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Machster69 [OP] » Feb 19 2013, 11:12pm

I turn them off when tool initially asks for the key to be turned on. I have gotten "no ecu found" before which I blame on this. No big deal, let the tool try again. I turn of the headlamps to keep my weak battery from alarming... I get everything ready before it is writing!
Last edited by Machster69 on Feb 19 2013, 11:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
Original Poster
Machster69
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby Machster69 [OP] » Feb 19 2013, 11:16pm

Voodoo wrote:Awesome write-up my friend.....Gonna help many members.....

Thanks man! I tried hard to include as much as I could while maintaining accuracy. Took a good bit of time vs other how to's ive done. I conferred with Lew several times to get things right... Hopefully no more edits are necessary!
Original Poster
Machster69
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby dsorrick » Feb 19 2013, 11:24pm

Nice write-up. Very informative. I'll be using this info soon.

thanks,
dsorrick
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2011
Extra Info: 2500HD 6.0L 4WD EXT
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby allterrainjoe » Feb 19 2013, 11:32pm

Kyle .......THANKS........
allterrainjoe
Topics: 101
Year: 2015
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 2500 HD
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby Machster69 [OP] » Feb 19 2013, 11:34pm

Just for you Joe ;) check that new link for the macs, it shows how to send off your data logs a little better than that first vid I sent you!
Original Poster
Machster69
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby Cole trickle 78 » Feb 19 2013, 11:45pm

Nice write up kyle!
Cole trickle 78
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 9
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Extra Info: 4.8 L extenedcab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Obsession11 » Feb 20 2013, 12:05am

I dunno if I should listen to a write-up from someone that seemed to struggle getting his tune put on his truck.........

:D
Sig by AllStarSilvy

bombdiver: "looking at my sig" = drooling over schlongs.
tcnoakes: you better get in their ass vince
Obsession11
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Topics: 15
Year: 2005
Extra Info: 5.3L Z71 SLT
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to How-To Articles

Common search terms

thanks first nice done help great diablo intune anyone sent getting check stock still same right make think

It is currently May 28 2017, 7:33pm

• Sponsor
Login  •  Register
SHOP TALK (Live Chat)
How-To Articles Forum
Practical advice on a particular subject that gives advice or instruction on a truck maintenance or service. How to articles are usually in the form of step-by-step instructions on how to accomplish a specific task on a GMC Sierra or Chevy Silverado.
To create a new topic in How-To Articles, click this button:
Previous topic Next topic
Sitewide News Sitemaps & Feeds