jQuery not supported.

How to do a 4L60E Transmission Service

Making your transmission work longer for you.
Forum rules
This is just a friendly reminder that the "How To" forum is not a place to ask questions or ask for help. What this means is it's not the place to request a "How To". This forum is meant only for members who wish to post the specific steps to complete a project or modification of some sort. All posts in here are put up for all to read and gain information on how to do something to their silverado or sierra. Please only post in this section if you have directions on how to do a modification, complete a task, or steps to take to resolve a problem. Thanks!

Re: 4L60E transmission service

Postby Z15 » Oct 07 2010, 2:38pm

If you want the trans to last, dump the low bidder oem atf as soon as possible and in install a high end synthetic ATF. All ATF's by any of the big name oil companies are basically the same, nothing special about them but the advertising hype IMO. The make everything to a price point, not they best they can.

Nor would I add anything to the ATF. Straight to the point, If you must use an additive then you are not using the right ATF.

I also have to disagree with the OP as to where to buy your filters. From my experience in the oil business for better than 30 yrs, the only thing shop's care about it how much something cost them, not weather its the best quality or not. I know many shops that buy the cheapest filters they can buy, the cheapest atf they can buy and charge the most they can.
Mike
Image Dealer

Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 125
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2012
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: AWD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users
Servicemen
Related Topics  4l60e transmission swap   No 1st or 2nd gear on 4L60E transmission   Chevy 4L60e transmission shift at low temps.   Allsion Transmission Service   Shift changes after transmission service   Allison Transmission Service   Transmission fluid service   50000 km mark transmission service?   When to service Transmission Fluid 2008 Silverado?   will a 98 4l60e interchange with a 96 4l60e   HELP Service Traction Control and Service Stabilitrack   What should be done on my 01' 4l60e?   4l60e tuning   Cooling the 4L60e 
How-To Articles Sponsor
Advance Auto - Free Shipping on Orders Over $75!
SilveradoSierra.com members get $50 Off Orders Over $200 At Advance Auto Parts.
Use Code BIG50 At Checkout. Limited Time Only - Shop Now!

Re: How to do a 4L60E Transmission Service

Postby mbreener » Feb 18 2011, 2:50pm

Is there any benefit to draining the torque converter? Getting ready to do a trans filter/fluid change. I was planning on just removing the pan and draining the converter. Is this not worth it if I'm not doing a system flush?

Thanks
mbreener
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 6
Blogs: 3
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2000
Extra Info: 1500 Ext. Cab Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby mbreener » Feb 18 2011, 5:40pm

Nvm.. I answered my own question. Pulled it apart and there is no way to drain the torque converter after removing the trans pan. Looks like I'm just doing a filter and fill. lol
mbreener
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2000
Extra Info: 1500 Ext. Cab Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby gOt BoOsT » Jun 18 2011, 4:55am

just used this guide and it worked great. you forgot to mention the pan is a pita to get off tho...
'11 rxpX~scary fast
'10 c300~wifeys
'08 k1500 4x4~tow beast
'05 Moomba Outback~family floater
gOt BoOsT
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 7
Year: 2008
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Z15 » Jun 18 2011, 12:34pm

mbreener wrote:Nvm.. I answered my own question. Pulled it apart and there is no way to drain the torque converter after removing the trans pan. Looks like I'm just doing a filter and fill. lol

You have to purge the fluid to change it completely. That is, pump out the old while adding new fluid thru the filler tube. That is the only way to completely change the fluid. Its relatively easy to do as I have done it many times for customers over the years but I now send them to the pro's as they can do it faster.
Mike
Image Dealer

Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby AzDragonLord » Jun 18 2011, 1:29pm

While I have done them in the past, I've read too many negative things about transmission flushes, and my service manual says nothing about flushes either. I recently dropped my pan to change filter and replenish fluid to normal levels. If it's good enough for GM then it's good enough for me!
If it ain't right, don't do it....If it ain't true, don't say it....If it ain't yours, don't take it.
AzDragonLord
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 29
Year: 2009
Extra Info: 5.3L FlexFuel
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Z15 » Jun 18 2011, 1:56pm

I am not talking about a flush using a machine or chemicals, I would never let anyone flush my transmission and I never recommend anyone do that. Flushes using machines can be dangerous because the shops rely on the machine to be the expert and often have amateurs operate it who would might not even know the color of ATF.

What I was talking about is just replacing the existing fluid with all new fluid as if you are changing to a synthetic ATF and don't want old fluid mixed with the new synthetic ATF. The fluid is pumped out with the engine running letting the trans pump do the work. You just open the trans cooler lines and let the old fluid flow out while replenishing with new. Nothing dangerous about it and a safe and effective way to replace all the fluid. You trans is circulating the ATF all the while its in operation anyway so there it no way to harm anything.

Don't condemn it, its a proven and safe method of replacing ATF. Most all professional trans experts will tell you the only safe method.
Mike
Image Dealer

Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby lilmagoo1 » Sep 08 2011, 1:00pm

how often should you replace your trans oil i just turned 50 Thousand miles on my truck and am just wondering what is reccomened?
: 07.5 Silverado : 3"lift & 1.25" body lift : 295/70R18 Trail Grapplers :
: 18" MBmotoring V-drive rims W/ 00 offset :
lilmagoo1
Topics: 69
Year: 2007
Extra Info: 5.3 L 4x4
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby Z15 » Sep 08 2011, 1:26pm

The owners manual says to change ATF and filter every 50,000 for service service and 100,000 miles for normal service. Look in the back of the manual under Maintenance.

Most vehicles are operated under service service although the owners might disagree. If the majority of your driving is short trips around town, idling, stop and go, towing, hauling heavy loads, hot-rodding, have engine modifications, over-size tires etc then you fall under severe service.

Note-Dropping the pan and replacing the filter and the contents of the pan only will leave about 1/2 to 2/3 of the old ATF in the system.
Mike
Image Dealer

Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby lilmagoo1 » Sep 08 2011, 5:06pm

alright i might be doing a tranny fluid and filter change i the near future...thanks for the info
: 07.5 Silverado : 3"lift & 1.25" body lift : 295/70R18 Trail Grapplers :
: 18" MBmotoring V-drive rims W/ 00 offset :
lilmagoo1
Topics: 69
Year: 2007
Extra Info: 5.3 L 4x4
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users
PreviousNext

Return to How-To Articles