jQuery not supported.

How to do the Headlight 'All-on' Mod for '03 and up

Make low beams and fogs stay on with high beams.
Forum rules
This is just a friendly reminder that the "How To" forum is not a place to ask questions or ask for help. What this means is it's not the place to request a "How To". This forum is meant only for members who wish to post the specific steps to complete a project or modification of some sort. All posts in here are put up for all to read and gain information on how to do something to their silverado or sierra. Please only post in this section if you have directions on how to do a modification, complete a task, or steps to take to resolve a problem. Thanks!

How to do the Headlight 'All-on' Mod for '03 and up

Postby LBZDMAX [OP] » Feb 28 2011, 10:29pm

This is a write-up for how to make your low beams and/or fog lights stay on when you switch to high beams. This mod costs all of $1 and should take no more then 15 minutes..its very easy and uses the trucks own built in fuses and relays.

All you need is a set of diodes that you can get from your local Radio Shack. The part number that I used was 1N4004. I have read that 4001,4002,4003 and 4004 will all work. These diodes come in a 2 pack and cost $.97.

You will do this mod under the hood at the fuse block on the drivers side of the truck. Make sure that the truck is off before reaching in there. You don't need to unhook the batteries or anything like that.

On the bottom of the relays is the numbers for the different pins. You will be using the 85 pin for these mods. Also, on the bottom of the lid of the fuse block is a diagram showing the numbers of the pins along with which relay goes where. The 3 relays that are used are in the lower left hand corner of the fuse block

Hi-lows on at the same time.
You will need to connect the 85 pin of the low beams relay to the 85 pin on the hi beams relay. Make sure that the "bottle cap (or end with the stripe)" is going towards the hi beam relay. You can either wrap the wire around the metal pin or slide it into the hole that the pin goes into. Either will work.

Hi-fog on at the same time.
For some reason GM decided that when your high beams are on, your fog lights don't need to be(actually i believe this is a law). Well, I like my fog lights on adding more light from time to time.

To do this you will need to connect the 85 pin of the fog lights to the 85 pin of the hi beams. Make sure that the "bottle cap (or striped end)" is going towards the hi beam relay. Again you can either wrap the wire around the pin or push it into the hole that the pin goes into. If you are doing the lows plus the fogs it can be a little tight on the 85 pin of the hi beam pin. For this I wrapped one diode around the pin and the other got pushed into the hole with the pin(i pushed both into the slot...they fit you just need to push down hard on the relay) . You will still have control of your fog lights with low beams by switch but doing this means the fog lights will always be on with hi beams.

This mod works perfectly with HID's as well as regular bulbs.

The pic shows how I have it wired. Sorry for the poor picture but hopefully the labels will help better explain things.
diodes1.jpg

diodes2.jpg
GW
2007 Duramax CCSB LBZ 4WD - SOLD
07.5 Duramax CCSB LMM 4WD

Original Poster
LBZDMAX
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 6
Blogs: 20
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: LBZ CCSB 4WD 2500HD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users
Related Topics  Black Headlight Mod   Doing the "Voodoo" headlight mod!   Headlight help   Headlight Help   Headlight I.D.   Headlight problem   Projector headlight help   Headlight Question   Cracked headlight   Headlight options   New headlight bulbs?   Headlight dimming!!!   Headlight modification   Headlight aiming 
How-To Articles Sponsor
Advance Auto - Free Shipping on Orders Over $75!
SilveradoSierra.com members get $50 Off Orders Over $200 At Advance Auto Parts.
Use Code BIG50 At Checkout. Limited Time Only - Shop Now!

Re: How to do the Headlight 'All-on' Mod for '03 and up

Postby JCunningham » Mar 01 2011, 4:46am

cool thanks. on my 08 the lows stay on w/the hi beams. theres no diods hooked up. my uncle did not modify the truck and he bought it new.
2000 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4
JCunningham
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Topics: 100
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2000
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 4X4 5.3L Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby LBZDMAX [OP] » Mar 01 2011, 5:30am

Your lows are your drls right?
GW

Original Poster
LBZDMAX
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby Chasmanian » Mar 01 2011, 5:50am

On the 03 you can also do this at the BCM. Same concept with diodes and not fighting the relay post. I will try and post more info when I look up the wires and how I did my 03 Tahoe.
2014 Silverado, 2500 HD Duramax 4x4
99 Sliverado 1500 2 wheel drive with 335,000 miles and stil going strong

Buying things I don't need to impress people I don't know.
Chasmanian
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Topics: 111
Blogs: 7
Year: 2014
Extra Info: HD 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby JCunningham » Mar 01 2011, 6:15am

LBZDMAX wrote:Your lows are your drls right?

ya
2000 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4
JCunningham
Topics: 100
Extra Info: 1500 4X4 5.3L Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby koolz71 » Mar 01 2011, 1:47pm

i would be interested in learning a lil more about the 03-07 classic info so i can get a better idea :)
Crap, my hampster fell off the wheel and it broke its leg.

Check out my blog

koolz71
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 91
Blogs: 14
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby LBZDMAX [OP] » Mar 01 2011, 8:35pm

Hmm JC. Not sure what the deal is? Your lows/drls are the same so they'll be on all the time anyway but I didn't think they'd automatically stay on with the hi's?

Koolz,

The diagram is for 03-07 classic. You're good to go man.
GW

Original Poster
LBZDMAX
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby Oh that guy » Mar 01 2011, 11:37pm

I thought it was a great post LBZ. I've been wondering what the deal is with lights kicking out when you hit the brights. Yup, learned something for sure.
Oh that guy
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 2
Year: 2010
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby LBZDMAX [OP] » Mar 01 2011, 11:45pm

Yes sir. Runnin around here in OK it's illegal to have your fogs on unless the conditions are right, go figure. But EVERYONE does it anyway. This mod allows for max light when you feel you need it. Or for whatever configuration you decide you want with your lights really.
GW

Original Poster
LBZDMAX
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby thirdgen » Mar 02 2011, 1:20am

My buddy at work was just telling me he went to the junkyard for a new high / low beam switch. I asked why? He said cause when he flips on the high beams on his '02 S-10, the low beams go out. I was like, "You know it's supposed to do that, right?" He was pretty dumbfounded by my answer, but a little research showed I was right. He still wants all the lights on on high beam anyway.
Would this diagram work for his S-10?
thirdgen
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 23
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Extra Info: 4.8 vortec
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to How-To Articles