jQuery not supported.

How to Fix Driveline Clunk

Forum rules
This is just a friendly reminder that the "How To" forum is not a place to ask questions or ask for help. What this means is it's not the place to request a "How To". This forum is meant only for members who wish to post the specific steps to complete a project or modification of some sort. All posts in here are put up for all to read and gain information on how to do something to their silverado or sierra. Please only post in this section if you have directions on how to do a modification, complete a task, or steps to take to resolve a problem. Thanks!

How to Fix Driveline Clunk

Postby mramirez23 [OP] » Feb 11 2012, 9:34pm

As you know, it is extremely annoying to come to a stop and feel that Chevy patented clunk just like someone has just rear-ended you. Well, after several online posts, I finally decided to do my truck.

TRUCK:
20008 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ

Tools Required:
11mm or 7/16 in wrench
12mm wrench to use it for torque
Pry bar
Grease
Locktite

Step one, loosen the four 11mm bolts by the rear end.

Step 2, carefully pry off the driveline from the rear end

Step 3, have a buddy help you and pull away from the transmission firmly careful not to pull too hard and bang your drive line.

Step 4, apply grease into the hole of the drive line where it goes into the back of the transmission. Use the extra grease to apply on the shaft.

Step 5, carefully insert the driveline back in making sure your marks match up. I used two wrenches to get a little more torque when tightening.

Step 6, put everything back and apply Locktite to the four bolts.

Step 7, double check everything is Okay and drink a beer! Enjoy your truck with extremely less of a clunk or eliminated for about 8-10 month. Repeat if the clunk come back.
Last edited by starspangled6.0 on Feb 11 2012, 10:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed subject error.
Original Poster
mramirez23
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 21
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2008
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: LT 5.3 V8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: How to Fix Driveline Clunk

Postby djandrade » Feb 15 2012, 7:45pm

Does anyone know the torque specs when tightening the driveline?

BTW: If your car is still under warranty, the dealer is now obligated to replace the u-joint with a new part. prior protocol for them was to apply grease as shown above. just a lil FYI i found out last month when i took my 08 Silverado into the delear for this service.
djandrade
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Extra Info: 1500LS 2WD Crew Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby lash » Feb 23 2012, 6:31pm

I'm reading this just before I take my '09 in on Saturday for a few issues. One of those is the drive-line clunk discussed here. The Service rep I talked to on the phone, gave me a laugh when I asked them to look at this and said it just needed some grease. My truck is still, if barely, under warranty, so I'll mention this article when I talk to the guy on Saturday.

I appreciate good articles like this. That's why I joined this forum.

Thanks guys!

Mike
lash
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 2
Year: 2009
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 08SierraOH » Feb 23 2012, 8:19pm

djandrade wrote:BTW: If your car is still under warranty, the dealer is now obligated to replace the u-joint with a new part. prior protocol for them was to apply grease as shown above. just a lil FYI i found out last month when i took my 08 Silverado into the delear for this service.

Really? Is there a service bulletin or something related to that? My 08 is Certified and I mentioned it last month to the dealer when I had it in for another issue and was just told "Yeah, that's normal". Really would LOVE to have it go away for good. Not worth the time to make it go away for a few months with grease... but if I can be fixed (ESPECIALLY UNDER WARRANTY) for good... :)

Only thing more annoying than the clunk is the girl friend making smart a** remarks about it. :lol:
2008 GMC Sierra 1500
SLE1 5.3L Ext Cab
K&N CAI
Tonno Pro Tri-Fold
Raptor Series Oval Step Tubes

08SierraOH
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 6
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 SLE1 5.3L ExCab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby lash » Feb 23 2012, 10:25pm

I found a TSB for my 2009 at this site: http://www.automd.com/

For the 2009, it's TSB #309316. They call it a "...slip in the rear propshaft."
lash
Topics: 2
Year: 2009
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 5.34x4 » Mar 08 2012, 9:23am

I have an 04 that does this as well. I will be sure to give this a try, and nice write up.
04 Silverado 1500 4x4 5.3 35x12.50's,18in XD Monsters,DNA racing longtube headers,Dynomax ultraflow cat-back.
5.34x4
Topics: 8
Year: 2004
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby dalejrfan88 » Mar 08 2012, 4:38pm

Very nice post. I had a 03 that clunked like crazy. I even had to nickname it my "clunkrolet clunkorado". I loved everything else about the truck besides that. I now bought the new body style brand new in 07. I have 35k on it. Mines doesnt clunk. Is anyone having clunk problems with the new body style? They really got to get this design flaw figured out. The fix for my 03 was dipping a raquetball in vaseline and putting it in driveshaft to soak up the extra lash/play. Then it was silent. Someone here in Wisconsin who bought my old truck better like raquetball lol
dalejrfan88
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 28
Year: 2014
Extra Info: 5.3 ecotech
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby mramirez23 [OP] » Mar 12 2012, 4:34am

My truck is a NNBS 2008 crew cab and it was doing the clunk. I've also heard that marine grease works a little better because it's thicker.

dalejrfan88 wrote:The fix for my 03 was dipping a racquetball in Vaseline and putting it in drive shaft to soak up the extra lash/play. Then it was silent. Someone here in Wisconsin who bought my old truck better like racquetball lol

How did you squeeze the racquetball into the yoke where the splines are?
Original Poster
mramirez23
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby dalejrfan88 » Mar 12 2012, 3:55pm

sorry. The raquetball was deflated. put a little grease on it. I crammed it in the yoke. And then put the driveshaft back it. The raquetball then acts like a spring and makes the driveline tighter. I know this sounds crazy but it worked. This was for the clunk noise on taking off from a stop at about 2nd gear it would clunk real bad..Coming to a stop it would clunk again but not as loud. Is this the same clunk noise you are referring to? How many miles are on your 08? Im wondering if mine will also devolep this noise. I have 36k on mine and so far clunk free. There still is a little noise as it shifts gears but sounds pretty normal so far. My 03 was so loud i thought something was sliding back in forth in the bed :(
dalejrfan88
Topics: 28
Year: 2014
Extra Info: 5.3 ecotech
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby mramirez23 [OP] » Mar 17 2012, 9:20pm

I've got a little over 50K, and the noise mine makes is as I'm stopping or starting. It will only do it at one or the other; never in second gear.
Original Poster
mramirez23
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to How-To Articles