jQuery not supported.

How to Install a Billet Fuel Door

Forum rules
This is just a friendly reminder that the "How To" forum is not a place to ask questions or ask for help. What this means is it's not the place to request a "How To". This forum is meant only for members who wish to post the specific steps to complete a project or modification of some sort. All posts in here are put up for all to read and gain information on how to do something to their silverado or sierra. Please only post in this section if you have directions on how to do a modification, complete a task, or steps to take to resolve a problem. Thanks!

How to Install a Billet Fuel Door

Postby TucsonJoe [OP] » Aug 18 2011, 4:45am

Just a quick and easy mod in case anyone was wondering how it was done. It took just about 30 mins to install onto my 2007 NBS Crew Cab. On a difficulty scale of 1-5 (5 being the hardest) this mod is an easy 1.

I'm using a kit by AMI
photo.JPG
AMI Door.JPG

(Step One)
Open the original fuel door. Using a 1/4" drill bit, drill out the two rivets on the left side (one above and one below the door hinge).
First.JPG

(Next)
Now that the rivets are gone the fuel door slides right out, Remove the rubber fuel door stops by gently twisting and pulling.
Second.JPG

(Next)
Loosen the plastic shroud by removing the to screws and plastic clip and move out of you way. This will allow room to tighten the nuts on the adapter.
photo (1).JPG

(Next)
Remove the screws, nuts and washers from the adapter. This bracket bolts to where the rubber door stops went.
Mount.JPG

(Next)
Mount the adapter into the holes the rubber door stops were in using supplied hardware and tighten. Then reinstall the two bolts and plastic clip.
Third.JPG

(Next)
Install the door buy slipping the mounting studs into the holes made by drilling out the rivets then using supplied hardware and tighten. Install the last two bolts into the last two holes that remain.
Now your done..
photo (7).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof
is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Original Poster
TucsonJoe
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 15
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: LT Z71 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Re: How To Install A Billet Fuel Door.

Postby swandc » Aug 18 2011, 1:04pm

Thanks for the how to on this. Looks like you've got the same color I do and that black billet door looks great on there! On a different note, what tires and wheels do you have on there? Looks like a nice conbination of black and chrome or silver.
2007 Silver Birch Metallic Silverado LT Crew Cab 4.8 4X2

Smile...it's the second best thing you can do with your lips!
swandc
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 9
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2007
Extra Info: 1500 LT 4.8L V8 4X2
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby mbuchanan306 » Aug 18 2011, 1:12pm

Looks good! I would keep an eye on the hex head screws on the face of the door. I had the Chrome one and the screws started to oxidize and running down the side of my truck. I contacted the vendor and was told "that's a chance you take". I purchased mine at Pep Boys and the brand was Bully. I hope you have better luck .
mbuchanan306
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 16
Extra Info: Classic 1500 Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby swandc » Aug 18 2011, 1:30pm

Wow, I thought Bully was better than that. And the customer service, if you wanna call it that? What kind of answer is that about this being "a chance you take", seriously!? Got me double thinking them a little bit now.
Last edited by Austin on Aug 18 2011, 2:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unnecessary to quote the post directly above yours; it is assumed that your reply pertains to it.
2007 Silver Birch Metallic Silverado LT Crew Cab 4.8 4X2

Smile...it's the second best thing you can do with your lips!
swandc
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 9
Extra Info: 1500 LT 4.8L V8 4X2
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Re: How to Install a Billet Fuel Door

Postby BIG10Silverado5.3 » Nov 03 2011, 12:44am

I purchased a similarly designed locking fuel door months ago, but I was afraid to drill into my new truck. (the website I purchased it from clearly said "no drill necessary")
Anyway, Your post inspired me and I have just completed my install. It took me a little bit longer to complete my install due to random "GD IT!" moments like dropping washers and cordless drill battery issues, but I got it done.
I was concerned about bare metal and rust after drilling so I threw on some silicone that I had laying around before bolting on the door.
I'll post a few pics when I get a chance, hopefully after I get a wash done.
BIG10Silverado5.3
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2010
Extra Info: 5.3L 4x4 3.42 posi
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby BIG10Silverado5.3 » Nov 10 2011, 12:32am

I forgot to give you props on a great post!
Here is a pic, after a wash, of my truck with fuel door install.

This is a link to were I bought my door.
http://www.rollingbigpower.com/products/product_info.php?cPath=127_128&products_id=301 I love the design.
Note: the web sight clearly states "*No Drilling or Cutting *".
Which is entirely, INCORRECT!

P.S.
I will be installing my RC leveling kit, and air dam delete this weekend. Stay tuned for before and after pics of that!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BIG10Silverado5.3
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2010
Extra Info: 5.3L 4x4 3.42 posi
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Johnny99 » Dec 08 2011, 8:43pm

mbuchanan306 wrote:Looks good! I would keep an eye on the hex head screws on the face of the door. I had the Chrome one and the screws started to oxidize and running down the side of my truck. I contacted the vendor and was told "that's a chance you take". I purchased mine at Pep Boys and the brand was Bully. I hope you have better luck .

I'm thinking of maybe dipping the hex screws in Break-Free before installing them...
Johnny99
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2011
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: HD 2500 6.0L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Johnny99 » Dec 15 2011, 7:36pm

Here is my install of the Billet Fuel Door. As promised, I dipped all of the hex screws in Break-Free before installing, hopefully to stave off any possible oxidation...
photo(2).JPG
Johnny99
Topics: 2
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: HD 2500 6.0L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby NJW2500HD » Sep 27 2012, 6:21am

I did this myself and was concerned about drilling myself! I ended up using a grinder and I'm very happy with the way it turned out! Great how to!
NJW2500HD
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 3
Extra Info: 2500 HD 6.0 V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jro450 » Jan 04 2013, 2:22am

Here is RBP's version, $35 bucks from Amazon not a bad deal and pretty easy to install :D There is drilling involved even though it says no drilling or cutting just a heads up like mentioned above you will need a 1/4" drill bit to get through the rivets. Also put on some new black and silver Z71 stickers, looks better than the red IMO :D
jro450
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 25
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2014
Extra Info: 5.3 Ecotec 4x4
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users
Next