jQuery not supported.

How to Install CB Radios on newer model trucks

Forum rules
This is just a friendly reminder that the "How To" forum is not a place to ask questions or ask for help. What this means is it's not the place to request a "How To". This forum is meant only for members who wish to post the specific steps to complete a project or modification of some sort. All posts in here are put up for all to read and gain information on how to do something to their silverado or sierra. Please only post in this section if you have directions on how to do a modification, complete a task, or steps to take to resolve a problem. Thanks!

How to Install CB Radios on newer model trucks

Postby rccrazy30 [OP] » Jun 11 2013, 1:14am

How to install a CB:

I had a hard time finding any information on installing a CB in the newer chevy trucks (07 up) i have pretty much got it down after a few trial and errors. The hardest part about this mod is mounting the antenna properly.

Step 1: you need to select all the parts you need. This is my parts list
    Radio:
    Cobra 29 LX Chrome (Highly recommended if you have room) if space is tight take a look at the Cobra 25 lx
    Antenna: FireStick 4’
    Coax: Firestik FireRing
    Mount: Firestik 3-Way CB Mount
    Other: Heavy-Duty CB Antenna Spring, and Firestik CB Antenna Quick Disconnect, PA horn, SWR meter

Step 2:
There are a bunch of different ways to mount the antenna this is the way i chose to mount mine. Because of the design of the bed it is difficult... if you chose not to use the Fire ring type cable make SURE you bring the mount up as high as possible to avoid kinking the coax wire with cab vent. I also recommend making a spacer to move the antenna bracket so it doesn't hit the bed as much. when putting the antenna stud MAKE sure you have a nylon washer on each side of the mounting bracket if you miss this step your radio won't work properly. Unfortunately it is imposible to get a good photo of the mounting area. The reasoning for adding the spring and quick disconnect is to get the base of the antenna above the top of the bed. You have to bolt the mount on aprox 7" bellow the top of the bed. If you just screw antenna to a stud you will find you will never be able to get a good SWR #
IMG_0636.JPG

TIP: Getting the bolts through is tricky i took a open end wrench taped and zip tied it to a long screwdriver then took the bolt and used some electrical tape to keep it from falling out this worked like a champ once it was tight just pull the wrench out and break the electrical tape

Step 3:
Running the Cb coax cable some will say start out and work your way in; don't try it it doesn't work. You need to unbolt the rear seat and move it out of the way so you can get your hand behind the insulation on my truck theres a accuses patch that easily opens. I used a coat hanger and taped the end of the Cb Coax to the end and guided it through. After that to get the coax to the front the best way to get there is un doing the kick plate CAREFULLY these pieces are easy to break. once you get to the front you will most likely find you have extra cable DO NOT cut the cable simply bunch the cable up like a hot dog zip tie and tuck away.
IMG_0651.JPG

IMG_0654.JPG

Step 4:
getting power to radio. There are a few different ways to this the best way is to run power directly from the battery. The only downside to doing this if you forget to turn off your radio your in trouble. I ran my power line from the battery across the engine bay and to get through the fire wall i simply went through the parking brake cable hole. (this is also the same hole i used to get the PA wire through. to make sure i won't forget to turn my radio off i added a separate switch with a LED indicator.
IMG_0660.JPG

IMG_0661.JPG

switch.JPG

Step 5:
Mounting the radio and mic. if you have a truck with at bench seat this is pretty easy if you have a center console this could be a little more difficult but i simply just used the self taping screws and attached it to the plastic. with the mic i chose to mount mine in the 4x4 shifter its out of the way but easy to grab
IMG_0655.JPG

IMG_0657.JPG

Step 6:
Testing and calibrating your radio. If you got a radio with a built in SWR meter you won't need an external meter (still recommend getting an external). if you're using an external meter hook the antenna end up to the input that says Ant then use the jumper on the other end to hook into your radio. next you need to get your truck into an OPEN area clear as possible from trees buildings etc.

1.Set the switch on the SWR meter to “FWD.”

2.Turn the radio to channel 1.

3.Key the microphone (depress the button and hold it).

4.Turn the knob on the SWR meter labeled “SET” or “ADJUST” until the needle reaches the setting position at the end of its range.

5.While still keying the microphone, flip the switch on the SWR meter to the “REF” or “SWR” position.

6.Quickly record the reading given by your SWR meter and release the transmit key on your microphone

If the SWR on channel 40 is higher than that on channel 1, your antenna is too long.
    If the SWR on channel 1 is higher than that on channel 40, your antenna is too short.
Step 7:(optional)
most radios have output for a PA system so i added one just for the heck ouf it. Its pretty simple just run a wire from the PA through the fire wall and into the back of the CB.
IMG_0666.JPG

Last tip is buy good quality stuff don't cheap out or you will be redoing it

IMG_0320.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Original Poster
rccrazy30
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 12
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 2500 Lt CrewCab 6.0L
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Re: How to Install CB Radios on newer model trucks

Postby robfriedenberger » Jun 11 2013, 6:04pm

Nice write up it makes me want to do this! I just want the PA feature to yell at the negbor kids to get out of the street.
robfriedenberger
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 30
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2004
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L LS
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby NightRodeo » Jun 11 2013, 11:36pm

Great write up.
I have the same cb radio as you except mine is the black chrome one.
Pennies make dimes, dimes make dollars, dollars buy gas and longneck bottles
There's a long stretch of black top underneath a cloudless sky, There's my truck washed and gassed up just itchin' for a ride.
NightRodeo
Topics: 2
Year: 2009
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 5.3 V8 Z71 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby mitchman » Jun 12 2013, 1:46am

Nice write up.

|2011 ECSB Z71|
mitchman
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2011
Extra Info: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby rccrazy30 [OP] » Jun 12 2013, 2:12am

robfriedenberger wrote:Nice write up it makes me want to do this! I just want the PA feature to yell at the negbor kids to get out of the street.

Ive had 2 radios out of the 2 this one has a louder PA.

NightRodeo wrote:Great write up.
I have the same cb radio as you except mine is the black chrome one.

Thanks. yeah i love this radio i like having the weather alerts and the ability to scan channels. i got a good deal on it $99 from right channel radios

mitchman wrote:Nice write up.

Thanks!
Original Poster
rccrazy30
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby zachspod333 » Jun 12 2013, 2:37am

i have the older cobra 29 chrome ltd installed and i found the PA wasent loud enough to do much unless on a amp and i would always blow out the speakers. do you have the same problem?

zachspod333
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 48
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2000
Extra Info: 1500 V8 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby rccrazy30 [OP] » Jun 12 2013, 2:41am

I havent found it to be an issue i put a 25w horn in but i think the radio only puts out 5w so i havent blown it out and i dont have an amp on it yet
Original Poster
rccrazy30
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby shamanjoe » Jun 19 2014, 11:16am

I got an amp for my PA speakers (I'm mounting 2 that are similar to yours) but I haven't hooked everything up yet. The amp has an adjustable volume control though, so I'm going to start with it all the way at low and work from there. It looks like in the picture you put the PA on the spare battery tray. Have you had any problems with it there? I don't want to put mine there because I plan to run a dual battery setup eventually, but it's hard to find a good spot otherwise.
shamanjoe
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Extra Info: 2500 HD Extended Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby rebelman06 » Jun 19 2014, 11:31am

I think it would have been easier to get power and ground from the Upfitter port in the power distribution block in the drivers footwell. You can get the gm connector and pins for pretty cheap online. One of the feeds in that port is tied to RAP, which would prevent you from leaving it on.

http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/produc ... ts_id/1046

Anyway...nice install and write up.
2012 Silverado LT 4x4 Ext Cab 5.3L
GMPP muffler, Bilstein 5100's, MB Vortex Wheels, BFG Rugged Terrains
rebelman06
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 3
Year: 2012
Extra Info: 4x4 Ext Cab LT 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby shamanjoe » Jun 19 2014, 11:38am

rebelman06 wrote:I think it would have been easier to get power and ground from the Upfitter port in the power distribution block in the drivers footwell. You can get the gm connector and pins for pretty cheap online. One of the feeds in that port is tied to RAP, which would prevent you from leaving it on.

http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/produc ... ts_id/1046

Anyway...nice install and write up.

What's the Upfitter port? There's a box to the left side of the driver's footwell in my truck I was hoping to tie into, but I haven't been able to get the cover off of it.
shamanjoe
Extra Info: 2500 HD Extended Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to How-To Articles