jQuery not supported.

How to Remove Body Molding

Body Molding removal
Forum rules
This is just a friendly reminder that the "How To" forum is not a place to ask questions or ask for help. What this means is it's not the place to request a "How To". This forum is meant only for members who wish to post the specific steps to complete a project or modification of some sort. All posts in here are put up for all to read and gain information on how to do something to their silverado or sierra. Please only post in this section if you have directions on how to do a modification, complete a task, or steps to take to resolve a problem. Thanks!

How to Remove Body Molding

Postby aksierra11 [OP] » Jan 13 2011, 3:25am

In this how to article I will show you how to remove the badging from the body of your vehicle.
Things You'll Need
  • Hair dryer or heat gun
  • Bug and Tar remover
  • Dental floss or fishing line.

Step 1.
The first step is to take your hair dryer or heat gun and heat up the edge you want to start at.

Step 2.
When I started this I originally used a piece of cardboard and a flat blade screwdriver to get behind the trim.. This method will work but you have to be extremely careful using this method as it is easy to have it slip and cause damage to your finish. I read another trick about half way through my project that is safer and easier. Take dental floss or fishing line and run it behind the trim once you have heated up the glue and gently pull the trim back enough so you can grab it with your fingers.

Below is a pic of what I started using.. this method works but be extremely careful not to damage your paint. I did not get a pic of the dental floss idea but strongly recommend this method.

Step 3.
Once you have a corner pulled up grab it with your hands and gently pull back. Follow along the edge with the hair dryer to keep the glue heated up.

Step 4.
Follow step 3 till the piece of trim is removed and you are just left with the glue residue on the truck.

Step 5.
Continue this for the remaining trim pieces you want to remove.

Step 6.
I choose to remove the decal also on the bed. For this step I found it was easier to not use the heat gun. The decal is to thin and the heat gun just makes it harder than necessary. For the sticker just take your finger nail and pull back an edge till you have enough to grab with your fingers. Once you have enough material to grab gently pull the decal back on top of itself. Continue this till the sticker is removed.

Step 7.
Now that all the trim pieces are removed it comes time for the fun part. For the glue left behind on the door trim simply take your hair dryer and heat the glue up and use your thumb to roll the glue back and pull off.

Once all the glue is removed from that take some bug and tar remover and a clean rag to remove the remaining little glue that is left behind.

Step 8.
All the glue from the trim came off very easy except for the SIERRA lettering. I am not sure why they choose to use a different glue for this but this was literally a nightmare to remove. The best advice I have for this is soak it in some bar and tar remover (wipe up any that runs down the body). Let it sit for a few minutes and then take your hair dryer and thumb and roll back the glue. It will take some time but it worked for me.

Step 9.
Wipe the rest of the glue residue away with some bug and tar remover and a clean rag.

Step 10.
Put a nice coat of wax over the area and enjoy your work.

This is a fairly simple modification, just time consuming. I will post up more pics once the wind dies down outside.
Original Poster
aksierra11
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 19
Blogs: 10
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2011
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 6.2L SLT
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users
Related Topics  How to safely remove door panel molding   Side Body Molding   2014 Body Molding   Body side molding troubles   Body side molding falling off   White body molding turning yellow   Body molding starting to peel at the corners   2014 Body Side Molding Questions   side molding   Side Chrome Molding   Where to buy side molding   Molding and Badges all gone. Much cleaner look.   A how to: Taking off the door trim/molding   Plasti Wheels & Molding Delete 
How-To Articles Sponsor
Advance Auto - Free Shipping on Orders Over $75!
SilveradoSierra.com members get $50 Off Orders Over $200 At Advance Auto Parts.
Use Code BIG50 At Checkout. Limited Time Only - Shop Now!

Re: How to Remove Body Molding

Postby rx7srlife » Mar 06 2011, 6:57pm

The Methods we use work for moldings and Emblems. Decals use only the last two steps. All of the products we use can be found at any automotive supply store.
Here are some additional Ideas on top of what was posted above:

Step #1 - Use a heat gun to soften the Double Sided Tape. the stuff is very sticky and strong. Remember not to heat a certain spot for too long because direct heat will harm the painted/clear-coated surface.

Step #2 - Take a brand new body filler spreader and start from one edge and use it as a knife to cut through the double sided tape.

Step #3 - Once the moldings/Emblems are removed, take a Cordless drill/Die-grinder/Electric drill Whatever you have that makes High RPM and but what is referred to as an Eraser Wheel. It is just what it sounds like. A very soft rubber wheel 4" around and 1" thick, with a 1/4 Shank arbor, that will remove adhesives without harming the clear coated surface below it if it is used properly. Start at one end of the adhesive tape, working with the direction the wheel is spinning, towards the other end of the adhesive tape. Kind of like reading a sentence of a book backwards. Move the tool fast with a low RPM and don't stay in one spot for an extended period of time or you will overheat the clear-coat and damage it.

Step #4 - Use some liquid panel cleaner, or Ammonia Based Glass Cleaner to take any Leftover rubber smudges off the panel. At the shop we use a product made by DuPont called 3812s. It is a Medium Enamel Reducer, meant for thinning enamel based paints. It works great as a panel cleaner and WILL NOT harm clear coated surfaces, Factory or refinished. It also works great as a bug and tar remover, Sticker Adhesive remover.

Hope this helps as well as what was posted above.
"If you cant hear it before you can see it, then its not worth driving." - Jesse James
rx7srlife
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 2
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby taphillips2 » Mar 10 2011, 12:38pm

I used good ol' mineral spirits aka "paint thinner" and it worked for me on the glue and glue residue. i just made sure i washed it off a.s.a.p
taphillips2
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 11
Extra Info: 5.3 V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby aaron_usmc » Mar 13 2011, 1:29am

Thanks for the insight, I've been thinking about removing the trim from my 2006 Silverado but had nowhere to begin. I will post pics after I do it!
aaron_usmc
Year: 2006
Extra Info: Lifted 35s
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 11Silverado » Apr 01 2011, 8:00pm

Hi guys,

New guy here. But there is a really really much easier way of doing this. I've worked at a body shop and this is what we've done. It will take you no more than 10 mins to do this for the entire truck.

Take a good 15lb or higher rated fishing line. You get about 3 feet of it. Put on some gloves. Wrap the fishing line around your palms a few times on each end.

Then take the line and line it up along the body. Then go back and fourth like a saw and basically CUT the emblems/moding off. They will just fall right off.

The remaing glue, you can use a cordless drill and a tool called a "eraser wheel" to get the glue off. The wheel WILL NOT damage your paint. I've tested it and pressed hard as I can and kept it there for a good 2-3 mins.. doesn't burn the paint.

Here is a picture of an example.

Hope this helps.
11Silverado
Topics: 9
Extra Info: 5.3 LT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby taphillips2 » Apr 02 2011, 4:25pm

11silverado, how much will this eraser wheel cost me?
taphillips2
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby 11Silverado » Apr 02 2011, 6:00pm

You can find that on Ebay pretty cheap. I think I got mine shipped for $20.00.

What is really nice about it is it will take the glue off, painted or decal pinstripe. I love it and will have to look for another one. I gave mine away since I think they can do like 40 trucks.. so I passed it on.

2011 Chevrolet Silverado LT 1500 4x4.
11Silverado
Topics: 9
Extra Info: 5.3 LT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby taphillips2 » Apr 02 2011, 6:11pm

Thanks
taphillips2
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Baghdad » Jun 16 2011, 2:28am

Hello...First post.

All the above are very good ways to remove stick-ons but remember that under there the sun has not faded the paint like the rest of your truck unless its pretty new. Even a year old truck that sits outside will have a little fade to it unless you use a UV Blocker type product regularly.
Baghdad
Year: 2008
Extra Info: 5.3 Liter Z71 3.73
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby hidkid » Jun 24 2011, 5:59am

Debadged the sierra...Pain in the Ass tho with the glue from the letters ...
hidkid
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 2
Year: 1999
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to How-To Articles