jQuery not supported.

How To Remove Door Moulding

Quick Demo on Removing Door Moulding
Forum rules
This is just a friendly reminder that the "How To" forum is not a place to ask questions or ask for help. What this means is it's not the place to request a "How To". This forum is meant only for members who wish to post the specific steps to complete a project or modification of some sort. All posts in here are put up for all to read and gain information on how to do something to their silverado or sierra. Please only post in this section if you have directions on how to do a modification, complete a task, or steps to take to resolve a problem. Thanks!

How To Remove Door Moulding

Postby smbdyshero [OP] » Jul 12 2012, 5:27pm

So, like alot of people I have talked to, their door moulding is fading or discoloring over time. Mine has been turning a light yellow color and its only a 2010! I was'nt a huge fan of taking the moulding off, but for looks sake, I decided it would be best.

I began this process by simply pulling off the front passenger side moulding because it was already peeling up a little.
IMG_0707.JPG

Removal was very easy. For the rear passenger side, I had to use my plastic bondo scraper. I have been told to use a plastic putty knife, but this is what I had on hand so I used it!
IMG_0708.JPG

Don't be afraid to get that scraper behind the moulding, I promise you won't scratch your truck.

After getting the removal started with the scraper, you can easily pull the moulding off.
IMG_0709.JPG

So after you pull the moulding off, you will probably be left with alot of adhesive on your truck.
IMG_0710.JPG

This is where I went a little crazy with the front passenger side. I washed the area and began using the goo gone, but not the scraper. It was making me so mad that it wouldnt come up. I was using my thumb to roll it up, very slowly. Dont' do it this way!!!!! I have a HUGE blister on my thumb now... I know I'm an idiot.

You want to spray a nice coat of goo gone to the adhesive, making sure to cover the whole area. Let it sit for about 5-10 minutes. You will see the color and consistency of the adhesive start to change. At this time you want to use your plastic putty knife, or in my case, a bondo scraper to scrape the adhesive up. Don't be disappointed, it definitely won't all come up on the first go-around.
IMG_0711.JPG

This is what I was left with after the first coat and scraping. I sprayed the next coat of goo gone on the adhesive and got back to drinking haha. After a beer or two, or three, I scraped that bad boy again. And what do you know, Alot more came up!
IMG_0712.JPG

I was getting excited because I didn't have to use my thumb any more for this! Haha...

Here is the photo after the third coat
IMG_0713.JPG

One more coat of goo gone and I was done! You will notice little pieces of adhesive on your door. Just spray a light coat of goo gone on and wipe off to clean.

Here is my final product, sort of. I still need to give her a good wash so get excess goo gone off and remove the dirt that has been there for 3 years now.
IMG_0714.JPG

IMG_0715.JPG

Hopefully this helps out a few of you. I know if I would have read this before I started, I wouldn't have a huge blister on my finger and would have saved alot of time! All in all, this took about an hour and a half. Most of that was just waiting for the goo gone to work its magic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Original Poster
smbdyshero
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: How To Remove Door Moulding

Postby smbdyshero [OP] » Jul 12 2012, 6:40pm

I have read alot of people using heat guns and dental floss, but they really arent needed. Those eraser wheels work fairly well, but the way I posted is using items most people have on hand.

FYI the marks you see on the last photo came out easily with a quick wash and wax. It was just stuck on dirt I am guessing. It was not permanent or paint wear
Original Poster
smbdyshero
Topics: 4
Year: 2010
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby silverado9306 » Nov 30 2012, 3:13am

I'll be doin this in the near future.
silverado9306
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 26
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2006
Extra Info: 1500 5.3 4x4
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby twilli88 » Oct 18 2014, 7:22am

I cant believe I haven't read more about pinstripe removers on here. Used one today and it worked like a dream. Saved my thumbs to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ-BsIo34Yw
twilli88
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 6
Year: 2007
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to How-To Articles