jQuery not supported.

How to Remove your Spare Tire

Stuck spare tire? Keep reading!
Forum rules
This is just a friendly reminder that the "How To" forum is not a place to ask questions or ask for help. What this means is it's not the place to request a "How To". This forum is meant only for members who wish to post the specific steps to complete a project or modification of some sort. All posts in here are put up for all to read and gain information on how to do something to their silverado or sierra. Please only post in this section if you have directions on how to do a modification, complete a task, or steps to take to resolve a problem. Thanks!

How to Remove your Spare Tire

Postby starspangled6.0 [OP] » Dec 01 2011, 11:13pm

One common issue with GM trucks is that the safety system that holds the spare tire on to the truck gets corroded over time. This can cause the system to get stuck, which means the spare tire won't come off when you need it to! Fortunately, there is a way around this problem.
Things you'll need:
  • 15 MM socket; ratchet; small extension
  • Flat-head screwdriver
  • Spare tire kit
    (in extended cab, it's underneath back seats)
  • WD-40 or Penetrating Oil

Before you start
Place the transmission in Park, with the parking brake on.
You'll be working in the back of the truck, underneath the spare tire. If you need the room, jack up the rear axle, and support it with jackstands.

Step 1:

Assemble the spare tire rods, and use your truck key to unlock the cylinder that's blocking access to the spare tire. Insert the rod, with the open square end going in first. Fit the open square end to the closed square end on the safety system, and start lowering the spare tire.
HPIM0046.JPG

Step 2:

Lower the wire all the way down. If your tire follows the wire all the way down to the ground, your safety system is working properly. If the tire stops about 3" below the safety mechanism, than you know that it's corroded. Even if the tire stops, you can still lower the wire all the way down to the ground. In the following picture, you can see how far the tire will lower if the safety system is corroded:
HPIM0047.JPG

Now, you've got two options: Remove the bolt that holds the system on, or try to put a screwdriver through the two holes in the safety system (they face the front of the truck), and see if you can pop the mechanism loose. The holes are visible in following picture:
HPIM0050.JPG

If you are unable to pop the mechanism loose with the screwdriver, your only other option is to take the bolt off with a 15 MM socket. There is a nut on the other side, but it's welded on to the frame of the truck. Once the bolt is off, be careful! The tire has some serious heft, and it will only be held onto the frame by a small tab. When you're positioned safely, rock the tire back and forth, driver's side-to-passenger side, and the safety mechanism should come off the frame, dropping the tire.

Step 3:

It's time to soak the whole mechanism in WD-40. If the safety latch doesn't loosen, you can either try to poke it with a screwdriver through the holes I mentioned, or just pry off the plastic tab, like this:
HPIM0048.JPG

Once the safety latch comes out, spray it again with plenty of lube. This is also a great time to spray the wire, the cylinder that goes in the back of the bumper, and the spare tire rods. Now, if you want to put your spare tire back on, re-attach the safety mechanism to the frame, making sure to thread the wire through the center of the spare wheel BEFORE attaching the safety mechanism. Raise it with the spare tire rods, and tighten it until you feel the wire spool click.

Conclusion:

I'm not sure how long the safety system will stay lubricated, especially in Northern states that see a lot of snow and road salt. It's a good idea to do this once or twice a year. However, now you know how to take it off if you ever need to.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
07 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Crew Cab Dually
04 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Extended Cab w\Hiniker 8.5 V
03 Sierra 2500HD 6.0L Extended Cab w\BOSS 8.2' V

http://www.integrityoutdoor.biz
Original Poster
starspangled6.0
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 304
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 3500HD 6.6L Duramax
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: How to remove your spare tire

Postby na8rboy » Dec 01 2011, 11:50pm

Stars, good how to. One thing other than WD40 is Fluid film. Also you might want to try it as a coating on your new plow set-up. Snow/ice won't stick. Also prevents rust. I bought it at a John Deere dealer. Goggle it, works great.
na8rboy
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2011
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby starspangled6.0 [OP] » Dec 01 2011, 11:56pm

Thanks for the tip! How long will it last?

Original Poster
starspangled6.0
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby na8rboy » Dec 02 2011, 12:12am

It last up to a month. In the research I did. Many public works use it on their equipment. That's how i found out about it. A buddy of mine works for St. Paul public works. A rattle can of it is around $10.00 You can buy it in gallons and 5rs also. I spray wheel wells and other parts of my truck. Snow/ice never stuck.
na8rboy
Topics: 1
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: How to Remove your Spare Tire

Postby bowtie01 » Dec 03 2011, 9:25pm

Once it drops dowm the 3 inches or so and stops. Crank it back up till it clicks 3 times and then lower back down. This was the trick that local dealership showed me for my 03.
bowtie01
Topics: 3
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 2500HD 6.0L 4x4 Lt
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby starspangled6.0 [OP] » Dec 04 2011, 1:44am

It's good to try just about everything before resorting to unbolting the safety system, but once they're stuck, nothing in the world is going to get it unstuck. I've even tried the trick where you put a jack under the spring (as specified in the owner's manual), and try to pop it loose that way. It doesn't work.

Original Poster
starspangled6.0
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby bowtie01 » Dec 04 2011, 10:58am

I just hope I never have to find out if they improved them for 2011!!! Nothing like being stuck on the highway and cant get spare tire down.
bowtie01
Topics: 3
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 2500HD 6.0L 4x4 Lt
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EKinMN » Dec 04 2011, 2:24pm

I have heard this is a common problem. Thanks for the How To starspangled6.0!

I think I will lower mine at least once per year, and lubricate it. I did it this fall for the first time, and it worked fine. Doing it again in the spring, to make sure all of the salt is off might be a good idea.
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, R.C. 2" level, 275/65-18 tires, mudflaps, soft toneau cover, bed mat, side steps, and HIDGuy 35w 5000k HID's
EKinMN
Topics: 146
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: All Terrain Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby starspangled6.0 [OP] » Dec 04 2011, 8:46pm

I had a flat tire last year in the winter, and found out the hard way about the spare tire issue. Even after less that 12 months, it was stuck again :cry:.

Original Poster
starspangled6.0
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby doubled08 » Jan 04 2012, 9:45pm

im glad you posted this because i was just wondering how to do it thanks
Double D
2500hd long wheel base
leather interior with Bose sound system xm and onstar
More to come