jQuery not supported.

How to Reset your TPMS

Tire Pressure Sensor "Learn" or Programming Procedure
Forum rules
This is just a friendly reminder that the "How To" forum is not a place to ask questions or ask for help. What this means is it's not the place to request a "How To". This forum is meant only for members who wish to post the specific steps to complete a project or modification of some sort. All posts in here are put up for all to read and gain information on how to do something to their silverado or sierra. Please only post in this section if you have directions on how to do a modification, complete a task, or steps to take to resolve a problem. Thanks!

Re: How to Reset your TPMS

Postby jepics [OP] » Jan 04 2012, 2:33am

My dealer rotated the tires and didn't reset the TPMS last spring. I haven't had the time to reset it either, and it is time to rotate tires again, so then they'll read correctly. I know the dealers have an easier method of resetting (computer/tool) than the lengthy procedure outlined in my original post.
If you want to do what you want to do, you have to do what you have to do.
--John
Original Poster
jepics
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 51
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2009
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLE 5.3 V8 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby chewie37 » Feb 22 2012, 11:49pm

Did a little searching and didn't find anything exactly matching out there (but hey, my search skills stink too :P ). Thought it would be appropriate to post a reply here.

Short story - bought the EL-50448 TPMS relearn tool. From what I gather, this is a "dumb" tool (sort of inexpensive at less than $100), in that it assumes there are 4 existing, operational TPM sensors and you just need to tell your vehicle that you've moved them around. If you're replacing a sensor, then this tool probably isn't the right one.

Long story - Recently hit 7500 miles on the '11 Sierra and decided to rotate the tires myself. After all, not that technically complicated, and knew about having to reset the TPMS system after moving the wheels around. So, did the rotation with no issues, and jumped into the owner's manual (starting on page 10-71 for those interested). Got the truck into learn mode with no trouble, but absolutely could not get all 4 wheels to register. Sometimes got 1 wheel, sometimes got 3, but never all 4.

Did a little GTS (Google That ***t) and found a lot of discussions about how starting sometime in the 2011 model year production run (all vehicles, not just trucks), the procedure listed in owner's manuals may or may not work. Certainly didn't work for me. And not from lack of trying either. Let's just say that after an hour I was in full on Navy Chief mode and letting loose with a beautifully prolific tirade, on par with Ralphie's dad from "A Christmas Story."

The tool was on the front porch when I got home today, and had the TPMS reset in less than 2 minutes. Not sure about the rules for posting links to non-sponsors on the site, so, do a little Googling for the above part number and you'll find a few places you can purchase it from.
ImageImage
chewie37
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 9
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2011
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Yamaharacin » Mar 31 2012, 1:18am

Thought i would throw something out there, I have a 2011 Crew Cab Silverado, which i just put new rims and tires on. The light came on of course and i followed this guide but couldnt get everything right. I used my book to find out that i had to press the Remote LOCK and UNLOCK, then hold for 5 or so seconds until my horn went off. Then i followed the rest, relieving air pressure starting with the driver side tire until a horn sounded then so on. So far I've put 100 miles on it and no problems!
Yamaharacin
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Foghorn14 » Jun 02 2012, 2:03pm

For anyone trying to reset the TPMS by letting out air who is having trouble doing this....

When you let out the air do not let it out but for about 2 or 3 seconds. Stop and then wait for the chirp. I tried letting out the air and waiting for the chirp at the same time....it wouldn't work for me this way. Also the 8-10 seconds mentioned earlier in this thread wouldn't work for me. But a short 2-3 second time worked. You may have to wait for 15-20 seconds after you stop letting out air until you get the chirp. This is how I've done it and it hasn't failed yet.
2014 Chevy Silverado LT Crew 4x4
OEM side steps and GM bedliner
Window tint Husky Liner Mud Guards

Foghorn14
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 15
Year: 2014
Extra Info: Crew 5.3 4x4 3.42
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby CKNSLS » Jun 02 2012, 7:11pm

This procedure is a unbelievable hassle. Since I have had my tires rotated, I guess if I get a low pressure warning I will have to check all the tires and figure out which one is leaking.

Here is an article on this system as well.

http://www.koiautoparts.com/professiona ... M_TPMS.pdf
CKNSLS
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Extra Info: 5.3 Crew Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby johndeere9203 » Sep 04 2012, 10:10pm

well i rotated my tires yesterday and i tired about 20 times to reset the tpms it can NOT be done by letting air out or putting air in on the new trucks 2012 and newer...... i stopped by my buddies garage and he used his tpms relearn tool it took him like 2 min........... just another stupid way for the dealer to get you i guess
2014 Camaro SS 6.2L, 6 spd, npp dual mode exhaust, short throw shifter. (426hp stock)
johndeere9203
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Topics: 61
Year: 2012
Extra Info: 2500HD 6.0L Z71
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby NHSilverado » Sep 08 2012, 4:49am

I just got new oem rims and tires with new sensors in them. I tried to reset per the manual and no dice. I finally went to a dealer this afternoon and they used the tool to get the tpms to register. Was working fine until tonight when the front left one decided to unregister and stop reporting...wtf??? I'll try the letting air out for 2 to 3 seconds in the morning...if doesn't work I'll hit another dealer and have them reset the front left....sorta pain in the ass...agreed
2011 Silverado 1500 LT Extended Cab 4x4 5.3L
Blue Granite Metallic
All Star Edition
Line-X
Extang Trifecta Tonneau
Husky Floor Liners
EGR Vent Visors
GM 6" Oval Step Bars

NHSilverado
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 14
Extra Info: 1500 LT Extended Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby BlackZ71Silverado » Sep 09 2012, 1:38am

johndeere9203 wrote:well i rotated my tires yesterday and i tired about 20 times to reset the tpms it can NOT be done by letting air out or putting air in on the new trucks 2012 and newer...... i stopped by my buddies garage and he used his tpms relearn tool it took him like 2 min........... just another stupid way for the dealer to get you i guess

They blocked the DIY feature of letting air in/out for the 2012 year. My Cruze is the same way. I bought my own tool for $80.00 from TireRack. It's worth the cost IMO because you can do it all on your own without having to go to a stealership to have it done. It works for all my GM vehicles......Check it out, it's worth having one.

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/det ... ng+Systems
2010 Silverado 5.3 w/Z71 appearance pkg.
CAI tube
MBRP Exhaust
DiabloSport inTune
2" level/3" rear blocks

2008 Silverado 6.0 V-Max
GMPP CAI
GMPP Performance exhaust
DiabloSport Predator
2" level/3" rear blocks
BlackZ71Silverado
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Topics: 2
Year: 2008
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: Deep Ruby Metallic
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby NHSilverado » Sep 09 2012, 2:17am

Well letting air out for a few seconds on my tires didn't work but now that i look at it...the rims I bought are advertised as 2013 so maybe that's why. In any even after another trip to dealer all is well. I may pick up one of the tools just to have to avoid any more trips
2011 Silverado 1500 LT Extended Cab 4x4 5.3L
Blue Granite Metallic
All Star Edition
Line-X
Extang Trifecta Tonneau
Husky Floor Liners
EGR Vent Visors
GM 6" Oval Step Bars

NHSilverado
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 14
Extra Info: 1500 LT Extended Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Sierra12 » Sep 09 2012, 12:20pm

Like BlackZ71Silverado said, GM blocked the DIY procedure on the newer trucks/cars. My buddy is a tech at a GMC dealership and told me that on the late 2011's and all 2012's truck the DIY procedure of letting the air out of the tires won't work. I bought a Kent-Moore EL-50448 reset tool on EBAY for $65.00 shipped to my door that works on all GM vehicles. Seems that's the only way to do it or go to the dealership every time I rotated my tires.
K&N INTAKE, DYNOMAX VT EXHAUST, ROUGH COUNTRY 5" LIFT, 20X9 KMC MISFITS w/ 305/50/20 NITTO TERRA GRAPPLERS, BLACK BUSHWACKER FENDER FLAIRS, DIC, AVS HOOD DEFLECTOR, AVS RAIN GUARDS, PIONEER AVIC-X930BT NAV., RECON CAB LIGHTS, DIABLEW TUNED!
Sierra12
Topics: 7
Year: 2012
Extra Info: 5.3 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users
PreviousNext

Return to How-To Articles

Common search terms

tires work front same reset tpms

It is currently Dec 18 2014, 3:25pm

• Sponsor
Login  •  Register
SHOP TALK (Live Chat)
How-To Articles Forum
Practical advice on a particular subject that gives advice or instruction on a truck maintenance or service. How to articles are usually in the form of step-by-step instructions on how to accomplish a specific task on a GMC Sierra or Chevy Silverado.
To create a new topic in How-To Articles, click this button:
Previous topic Next topic
Sitewide News Sitemaps & Feeds