jQuery not supported.

How To Set up 7 Pin Trailer Connector for Constant Power

Constant power for tailgating or whatever you need
Forum rules
This is just a friendly reminder that the "How To" forum is not a place to ask questions or ask for help. What this means is it's not the place to request a "How To". This forum is meant only for members who wish to post the specific steps to complete a project or modification of some sort. All posts in here are put up for all to read and gain information on how to do something to their silverado or sierra. Please only post in this section if you have directions on how to do a modification, complete a task, or steps to take to resolve a problem. Thanks!

Re: How To Set up 7 Pin Trailer Connector for Constant Power

Postby FR8TRN » Jan 08 2013, 3:48pm

Simply adding a battery in parallel to the existing can cause issues with charging and if the batteries aren't completely identical your system will only be as good as the weaker battery. Also a short or other problems in one battery will degrade the other and the entire system. At a minimum use an isolator, the solenoid type here is probably the best option as diode type have about a .5V loss.
2013 Sierra 1500 W/T Long Bed
2007 MB E550
2004 MB SL600 Bi-Turbo V12
FR8TRN
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 1
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: Ext Cab Long Bed
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen
Related Topics  Curt T-connector and 7 pin trailer plug   2009 Silverado 7 pin trailer connector   7 Pin Connector to Combo 7 / 4 pin connector upgrade   No power to trailer connector   7 Pin Connector Mystery   Trailer Wiring Connector In Bumper   Replace 7-pin Trailer Wiring Receptacle with Combo 4 / 7   Trailer power wiring question   constant ticking noise.   4WD Constant Clanging and Clicking-Accelerating and Stopping   7 way connector messed up   7 blade and 5 prong connector in 14's   ACDelco Connector ID Assistance   Wire connector for fuse block 
How-To Articles Sponsor
Advance Auto - Free Shipping on Orders Over $75!
SilveradoSierra.com members get $50 Off Orders Over $200 At Advance Auto Parts.
Use Code BIG50 At Checkout. Limited Time Only - Shop Now!

Postby steved » Jan 08 2013, 4:56pm

FR8TRN wrote:Simply adding a battery in parallel to the existing can cause issues with charging and if the batteries aren't completely identical your system will only be as good as the weaker battery. Also a short or other problems in one battery will degrade the other and the entire system. At a minimum use an isolator, the solenoid type here is probably the best option as diode type have about a .5V loss.

But the diesels run two batteries in parallel without issues...there's nothing really different between those charging systems?

If I did this, I would buy two new batteries...probably cheaper to buy two aftermarket than one OE GM.
steved
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Topics: 37
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2012
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 2500HD 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby FR8TRN » Jan 08 2013, 5:28pm

Just running a pair of cables from one battery to the other isn't quite how it is done. GM uses a couple relays to determine the status of the primary battery before putting the secondary battery in the charge circuit. And really the only difference for them between Diesel and Gas is the size of the Fuse (125A vs 175A).

When I get a little quality 1-on-1 time with my new truck I'm going to look at it a little closer to see if I can follow GM's plan for wiring in 2 batteries, but it'll be much warmer before I have a chance to do that.

2013 Sierra 1500 W/T Long Bed
2007 MB E550
2004 MB SL600 Bi-Turbo V12
FR8TRN
Topics: 1
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: Ext Cab Long Bed
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby bbrown » Mar 27 2013, 2:31pm

FR8TRN wrote:Simply adding a battery in parallel to the existing can cause issues with charging and if the batteries aren't completely identical your system will only be as good as the weaker battery. Also a short or other problems in one battery will degrade the other and the entire system. At a minimum use an isolator, the solenoid type here is probably the best option as diode type have about a .5V loss.

The best quality diode isolators from "Hell Roaring Technologies" only have .05 - .01 V losses (yes that's hundredths) according to their specs. depending on which model you choose and their device dissapates less watts than your typical diode type isolator/combiners. They are solid state and allow you to remote combine the batteries for emergency starting with the optional remote module. I've had no issues with mine in the 2 years I've been running it. The only downside...expensive. As always, you get what you pay for.
K&N/Custom Intake, Banks Headers & Tuner, Dual FM Exhaust, 8K HID low beams & Fogs, 1100 watt Infinity & JL Stereo, 200A Alt, 3 Batteries, Power Acoustik PD-740NBT, RV camera, Hayden Tranny Cooler, 243 heads, 1.8 roller rockers
bbrown
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 22
Year: 2001
Extra Info: 2500HD 6.0 V8 4X4
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby Zeker11 » May 14 2013, 10:52pm

It says in the owners manual to remove the fuse(68) if Aux battery is installed.Would this have anything to do with where the red/black wire would go(on the post or to the aux battery)?? :? :?
Zeker11
Extra Info: 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby bbrown » May 14 2013, 11:59pm

No clue...I've never seen inside a 2013 model.
K&N/Custom Intake, Banks Headers & Tuner, Dual FM Exhaust, 8K HID low beams & Fogs, 1100 watt Infinity & JL Stereo, 200A Alt, 3 Batteries, Power Acoustik PD-740NBT, RV camera, Hayden Tranny Cooler, 243 heads, 1.8 roller rockers
bbrown
Topics: 22
Year: 2001
Extra Info: 2500HD 6.0 V8 4X4
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users