jQuery not supported.

1996 center console

How do you take it appart?

1996 center console

Postby bsnell1 [OP] » May 09 2011, 4:00am

I have a 1996 GMC sierra 1500 extended cab, I have a bench style front seat with the folding center console. I do not know exactly how to explain it but I will do my best. It has the front push button so that it opens up and it has the cd storage and all the other compartment area inside well on the outside on the top it has like a hinged cover that hides an area for a pen and just a flat spot. Well this hinged chunk of plastic opens up by bending a part of the plastic just enough to release it from the locking mechanism. Well on my truck one side of this plastic chunk is broken, eventually the other side is going to break on me so I figured it would be smart to just go to a scrap yard and buy one that isn't broken but I cant figure out how it comes apart, I looked all over the top and bottom part of my lid of my center console and havent seen a single screw hole, and I dont want to start ripping the foam off the inside and then find out it didnt help. Does anyone have any ideas, or know how it comes apart?
Original Poster
bsnell1
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 7
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  center console location not center?   Center Console Help!   Center console   center console   Center console   3 Cup Center Console   SLE CENTER CONSOLE   Buy center console   Center Console Dilemma   Mount sub in center console?   WTB:Center console   Center Console latch   FS: Center Console Cupholder   Custom Center Console 
Interior Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: 1996 center console

Postby Trent1180 » May 12 2011, 2:26am

I have the same exact problem with my 98. My advice, let it happen. I tinkered with mine and now i have a nice plastic on plastic rubbing sound when i drive.
3888 Anytime, anyone, anywhere. BAR NONE
Trent1180
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 25
Blogs: 8
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 1998
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 4x4 350 V8 2500
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Interior