jQuery not supported.

4 gauge cluster to a 6 gauge cluster?

4 gauge cluster to a 6 gauge cluster?

Postby scubiesteve [OP] » Jan 07 2012, 5:37am

Has anyone successfully changed out a 4 ring gauge cluster to a 6 gauge cluster? I'm curious because all I have right now is coolant temp, fuel, mph, and tach. I would like to have oil pressure as well but don't want to install an a-pillar gauge if I can help it. I want to keep the gauges stock at all possible, if anyone has done this or if it even can be done, post what is needed besides the cluster and how much it would cost for the cluster and if the computer needs to be reprogrammed.
This is what it looks like now

And this is what I'm going for
Original Poster
scubiesteve
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 9
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2008
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 4.8l
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Re: 4 gauge cluster to a 6 gauge cluster?

Postby jknappen » Jan 10 2012, 11:34pm

you can find them on ebay all day long, its just simple take old one out and put new one in. I have heard however that you will need the computer reprogrammed so that you can have the accurate odometer reading..... my 04 cavalier you could just change them out all day long without having the computer messed with..... Im not sure if the silverados are like that or not. I'm wanting to do this mod as well however im not going to have my computer messed with or anything like that...logically then if you wanted to sell your truck you could just put in a new gauge cluster and your buyer will think they are buying a truck with lower miles..... I personally think that the computer will not need to be messed with for this reason
jknappen
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 21
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2010
Extra Info: WT 4.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby lowrider » Jan 11 2012, 12:08am

There's also someone on eBay who will take your old cluster and rework it add the two gauges and then return it you. Of course there is downtime, but the odometer reading remains correct. You will also need a new bezel.

Here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-PICK-UP-TRUC ... 008wt_1398

Lou
lowrider
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2011
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Sandhillbilly » Jan 11 2012, 12:19am

The Engine Or Transmission should have the mileage stored on it, I'm a heavy truck mechanic and I know that the multiplexed trucks store this information on their databuses. When you get your new Instrument cluster it should be just plug and play. All your new plugs will most likely be zip-tied back out of the way, you might have to go a little way back down the harness to find them
Sandhillbilly
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: Reg cab. 4.8L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby lowrider » Jan 11 2012, 12:33am

^^^^Don't think it's that easy. Below is a quote from one of the remanufactures on eBay.

"Regardless of what you may have been told or what you have read, starting in 2003 all GM truck clusters must be programmed to the VIN of the vehicle to operate correctly. This programming is specific to your vehicle. DIGITAL DASH SOLUTIONS offers this service for free with our clusters. We will program your vehicle's VIN, mileage, hours and firmware at no extra charge. We will be sure the cluster you receive is 100% compatible with your vehicle. My cluster will come to your door plug & play."

Another seller this about a brand new cluster:

"**NOTE: These are NOT programmed, you will need to have them setup at your local dealership. Contact your dealer prior to purchase to verify fit. ABSOLUTELY NO RETURNS ACCEPTED.**"

Lou
lowrider
Topics: 2
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jknappen » Jan 11 2012, 2:08am

I dunno my 04 cavalier was plug and play and didnt have to be programmed. I changed it about 3 times because I went from the english to the japaneese version. if gm would do that to silverados wouldnt they do it to all gm vehicles across the board
jknappen
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby scubiesteve [OP] » Jan 11 2012, 5:09am

Thanks to all who posted, I will check out these ebay sellers and call the dealership to see how much it would cost to get one from them and programmed and go from there.
Original Poster
scubiesteve
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 9
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2008
Extra Info: 1500 4.8l
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby jknappen » Jan 11 2012, 1:49pm

let us all know what they say, im curious to know
jknappen
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby wb292 » Feb 29 2012, 9:55pm

I've used digital dash soulitions to replace the cluster in my 05. And am very happy with the product. I'm thinking of using them to swap to 6 guage cluster in my 11 model. I'm wondering if this will make the compass and outside air therometer work?
wb292
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 87wing » Mar 03 2012, 3:42am

wb292 wrote: I'm wondering if this will make the compass and outside air therometer work?

I think that I read that you must have OnStar in order to get compass and temp.
87wing
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2012
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Interior