jQuery not supported.

Getting by with an Extended Cab as opposed to a Crew Cab?

Cab size vs Bed size vs Camper size

Getting by with an Extended Cab as opposed to a Crew Cab?

Postby bbobich [OP] » Jan 30 2012, 4:45am

Hi,

I am saving up to buy a GMC Sierra, most likely 2500 HD, though it could be 3500 if I need the payload. The problem is I want a truck so I can go Truck Camping, and in the world of Truck Campers, there are models generally designed for short (standard) beds, and generally designed for long beds. I like the Campers that I see in the long bed category (for example, from Lance). Adventurer is pretty good too.

I want to get a bigger camper for a long bed, but I don't want a Crew Cab+Long Bed truck. That's just too long for me... with a camper nearly 30 feet!

If I were to get an extended cab (not crew cab) truck, with a long bed, would the rear seating be spacious enough for 4 adults (my kids aren't adults yet but they will be)?

If you have bench seats (not bucket seats), does the bench slide forward to make more room for people in the back? Or is it fixed? I'd be happy to give up a bit of my front seat comfort if I could make the back seat at least manageable. I am not sure from looking at the GMC website if the front bench seats are able to slide forward.

Do truck 2nd row legroom specs correspond with the front seat all the way forward or all the way back or in the middle (This is under the assumption that the front seats can slide forward back, which I am not sure about).

There doesn't have to be lots of extra room in the back for 6' 4" men - but for example, would a 5' 7 girl be comfortable in the back seat for a day drive in an extended cab truck with men sitting in the front?

If I end up needing a crew cab truck, then I'll either have to get a huge crew/long bed option, or compromise on the camper and get a short bed camper.

Thanks for comments. :D

Benjamin
Original Poster
bbobich
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Getting by with an Extended Cab as opposed to a Crew Cab

Postby SHNOOL » Jan 30 2012, 1:07pm

Really? Too long? I dunno what you mean. heheheheh. Sorry can't help. I decided Crew Cab was the way to go, WITH the long bed. It's a darned long truck for sure, and turning it is like moving a small aircraft carrier. But the truck handles, drives real well.

The slide in's are pretty nice, if it were JUST my wife and I, I'd have done a slide in instead. But yeah, the long bed ones are more common.

The rear seat of the CREW cab is huge, but not overly large. I can only speculate that the extended is tight like a 2 door car.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 LTZ, 4x4, dually, 3:73s, gooseneck, diesel goodness.
SHNOOL
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 18
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2011
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 3500HD Dually 6.6
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Rottie » Jan 30 2012, 1:09pm

I frequently have 4 adults in my extended cab with no problems at all. The girls usually sit in the back, but there's no reason anybody couldn't sit back there. I wouldn't put your biggest guys back there for an all day trip but with a break or two to stretch their legs it should be fine. The back seat is actually pretty comfortable and the extended cab doors make it pretty easy to get into the truck. I can't answer your question about the bench seat in the front, all the trucks i've been in have had the buckets..
'08 Silverado LT, 3.5 RC lift with 285/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs and MB Stryker wheels
Flowmaster 40 exhaust, Airaid Jr. CAI, Hypertech Max Energy Programmer
15% tint, Line-x, rear wheel well liners and Smittybilt bull bar and nerf bars.
Rottie
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 9
Year: 2008
Extra Info: 1500 4.8L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby WingNut » Jan 30 2012, 2:00pm

Even though I'm particular to extended cabs, I'd go with a crew cab in your situation. It'll pay off big time on long road trips.
Marine because.

WingNut
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 53
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Rainbow1616 » Jan 30 2012, 2:21pm

I recently had 4 adults in Mine, All males for a 2 hour trip and they said they had enough room back there that it wasn't bad at all.
Rainbow1616
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 21
Extra Info: 1500 4x4 Ext Cab LT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby wabbitchaser » Jan 30 2012, 2:42pm

I really don't see a big differance in overall length between the extended cab vs crew cab, 7.5". The big difference I do see is resale, extended cabs are almost as much as crewcabs but trying to sell extended cabs is tough. That 7.5" in the rear seating adds much more comfort to adults riding in the back, no comparison.
wabbitchaser
Topics: 24
Year: 2009
Extra Info: SLT Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby tcarr25 » Jan 30 2012, 2:46pm

I have an extended cab and we have fit 5 people and a car seat. Since I was driving I'm not sure how much room was in the back but no one every complained.
tcarr25
Topics: 36
Extra Info: 5.3 LT Z71 Ec
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby zandron263 » Jan 30 2012, 2:51pm

I have a 1500 extended cab with the split bench seat and each side is adjustable for moving forward or back so I would imagine its the same in a 2500. As far as room look at both it may help you decide which is best for your needs
zandron263
Topics: 5
Year: 2010
Extra Info: Z71 LT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby wabbitchaser » Jan 30 2012, 3:12pm

As far as the 7.5" difference, your camping needs is the major reason for your purchase, so buy what meets your needs. Only adding the downside of extended cab vs crew cabs. Devils advocate. I know too many people saying, "oh, I wish I had bought the other model".
wabbitchaser
Topics: 24
Year: 2009
Extra Info: SLT Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Z15 » Jan 30 2012, 3:15pm

There doesn't have to be lots of extra room in the back for 6' 4" men - but for example, would a 5' 7 girl be comfortable in the back seat for a day drive in an extended cab truck with men sitting in the front?

IMO No. The thing about a e cab is no back door so getting in and out means the front seat passenger has to cooperate so its gives the rear seat passenger the feeling of being trapped. Occasional use might not be a problem but all day long I can see it being a nuisance.
Mike
Image Dealer

Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Topics: 132
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2012
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: AWD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users
Servicemen
Next

Return to Interior