jQuery not supported.

Headliner peeling

How do I properly fix sagging headliner?

Headliner peeling

Postby koolz71 [OP] » Apr 26 2011, 3:33pm

Ok I've seen and heard of issues with the droopy headliner but mine is actually peeling in the door area on both drivers and passengers...not really sure how to fix it..any help would be appreciated..not sure if there's anything i can do or not
Attachments
2011-04-26_10-34-08_432.jpg
Crap, my hampster fell off the wheel and it broke its leg.

Check out my blog

Original Poster
koolz71
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 91
Blogs: 14
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Chrome clad peeling   Tan interior is peeling off everywhere   Factory rims peeling...   chevy frame peeling and rusting. why?   AVS aeorskin peeling back   Dick Cepek wheels peeling after only 10 months   Need help with headliner   New headliner   What exactly is above my headliner?   Sagging headliner help!   Headliner discoloration?   Headliner falling apart   Sagging Headliner   Headliner removal tricks 
Interior Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: Headliner peeling

Postby rdss » Apr 26 2011, 4:29pm

Maybe try some apolstery spray glue? Like what they use to wrap interior parts and sub boxes. It might seep through and leave a huge spot though. Hopefully you get it figured out, that would drive me nuts.
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Crewcab:
K&N Aircharger
Blastin Bob's muffler back w/ Magnaflow muffler
BedRug BedTred
Extang Revolution Tonneau
Diablo Sport inTune....DiabLew tuned!
Black Rampage sidesteps.
rdss
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Topics: 17
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLT 1500 CC 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Re: headliner peeling

Postby drew0982 » Apr 26 2011, 4:32pm

I've had this in the past with two vehicles. I had my local upholstery guy take care of it and I sat and watched. It's pretty easy if you plan on doing it yourself. Buy some new headliner fabric and about 3 cans of 3M Spray on Adhesive OR Contact Cement along with some acetone. Carefully remove all of the grab handles, lights, accessories etc that hold your headliner in place and set it on a table that you can comfortably work on. Remove the old cloth and use a wire brush to scrape away the old foam that's beneath the old headliner cloth. Wipe the now bare headliner with acetone or something similar to remove any dust/foam particles that may be left on it and allow it to dry. You want to spray the underside of the new headliner material thoroughly with that 3M adhesive and allow it to set up a little before applying it to the bare headliner. Do the same with the bare headliner. Once it starts to feel a little sticky, you want to apply the headliner material to the bare headliner and try to smooth out all bubbles, ripples etc. Remember that once this stuff sticks it's not coming off until you tear it off or time wears it down. You will need to overlap the edges on the underside of the headliner and ensure that there is adequate adhesive to hold those in place. Allow it to dry properly and give it several inspections to ensure that you don't have any areas of the material that is not stuck properly to the headliner. Once it's dried nicely, you can then mount it back up to the ceiling of your pickup and note that you will have to cut holes in order to mount your lights, grab handles and other accessories.

I hope this helps!
drew0982
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 8
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EKinMN » Apr 28 2011, 12:58pm

Nathan, with that advice, you can fix it yourself, and do a "how to" for all of us! Good Luck!
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, R.C. 2" level, 275/65-18 tires, mudflaps, soft toneau cover, bed mat, side steps, and HIDGuy 35w 5000k HID's
EKinMN
Topics: 146
Blogs: 6
Year: 2010
Extra Info: All Terrain Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby WingNut » Apr 29 2011, 4:05am

Drew's post is one of the reasons I became a DIY'er. Had the same issue with my El Camino when I was a poor univesity student. Ended up paying $70 I couldn't afford to have it repaired and was fuming when I saw how easy it was.

You might try a temp fix with som 3M spray but it'll probably (not "prolly") stain through.
Marine because.

WingNut
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 53
Blogs: 15
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby ShiningSilver » Apr 29 2011, 7:50am

Back then, we had to hire a service from a local upholstery. It cost $60 and that was in 2001. But I learned how he did the work so I had the same repair kit as the service guy had and charged the same.
Mods: Westin Bull Bars, Ner Bars, HUSKY Floor Liners, Vent Visors
ShiningSilver
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 4
Blogs: 2
Year: 2000
Variant: Intimidator SS
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Muddigger93 » Apr 30 2011, 4:22am

Guess I'm not the only person with this problem, hope you get things figured out.
RBP 2.5" leveling kit,
Magnaflow exhaust,
Black low profile tool box,
Tint,
Black bumpers,
CoverKing seat covers/tan&black
General Grabber AT2,
Vision Warrior wheels,
Westin Bull Bar,
Spyder LED Halos,
10" kickers.
Muddigger93
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 16
Extra Info: Regular cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby OlSmokie » Jun 12 2011, 1:38am

I have some sags in mine and I was thinking about ordering a new one. I had a shop do one previously and it looked great for about a week and then it started coming apart again. He redid it again for free and I watched him that time and it was obvious he did not get all the foam off the first time. That is definatly the key. The headliner backing has to be spotless for a good job.
OlSmokie
Topics: 29
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 1990
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Interior