jQuery not supported.

Installed Backup Camera - 2011

Backup Camera Install 2011 Silverado LT

Installed Backup Camera - 2011

Postby beaubob [OP] » Sep 02 2012, 11:46pm

Ordered a mirror, and camera kit last week for my 2011 Silverado LT. Word of caution if searching for a mirror with LCD, the common mirror is usually told to be a Gentex 657, there are actually two different part numbers for a 657. One is part number 25794381 that is WITH OnStar, the other is 25794380 that DOES NOT have OnStar (typically $80 more on ebay). You will want to be sure to order the correct 657 mirror AND the correct PART number. I bought mine from an ebayer that I think has been mentioned on here prior, copper_z71. He was very informative and a great ebayer. He provided me with the correct mirror, this was a newer version of the 657, GM part # 20945097, and an adapter that easily plugged into the x208 factory connector. The camera I bought from camera-source.com, they were good to buy from and helpful as well. They provided the GM Bezel with the camera installed, a wiring harness to connect at the back of the truck to the video adapter and power to the junction block.

I installed it in a couple hours. My truck already had the correct wiring between the mirror and the x208 connector. So, finding the x208 connector is easily done and the video adapter plugged in. Installing the new bezel was simple, remove the single bolt closest to the bed with the tailgate is open, then the bezel just pops out. Swap the lock into the new bezel and fish the wire to the bottom of the tailgate. I used the drain hole on the bottom and made the hole slightly bigger so the loom would fit better, then installed a rubber grommet for it to go through. The wires from the camera then go through the hole in the bed, which on my truck were already there. You would need to drill this out if it is not. The camera wire lead terminates into a custom connector that ends up near the tire and rest of the trailer wiring. This can then be easily unplugged if you ever need to remove the tailgate. Then connect this to the wiring that runs all the way to the front, zip ties along the way. I found a large existing loom I attached it too, staying away from gas lines, and high above the axel to avoid anything moving. This runs all the way to the grommet where the parking brake cable goes through the floor. This is the grommet CS recommends using and it worked out fine, I put mine as far from the cable as I could and in a position not to interfere with it. Pull the loom through the grommet, and then wire everything up. The video easily connects via the RCA cable. I grounded using a nut accessible through the access panel for the fuses. The power wire, per CS instruction, is connected via a tap to the dark blue wire on the X10. A little black RTV on the Parking brake grommet, and put everything back . The mirror is simple, unscrew the torx, slide the mirror off, and install the new one. The cable cover kind of snaps out of it, be careful here, the tabs look small and breakable.

After finishing the install, I really question the need to tap into the wire at the x10. I would think this would have been a whole lot easier running only the video wire to the front. Then, tapping the reverse light wire at the back of the truck somehow, and grounding it there too. But this setup works fine, looks like stock. The CS camera is supposed to be better than stock, and it looks like it probably is. It has very good video at night.

My next thought is installing a diode on the x10 side and a switch to the power line using a constant source to activate the camera whenever I like. Also, I think it would be fairly simple to connect a second camera on my utility trailer too.

I have a few pictures in my gallery of the parts and install. gallery/album.php?album_id=3109
Last edited by beaubob on Sep 03 2012, 12:37am, edited 3 times in total.
Original Poster
beaubob
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 13
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3L LT Z71 All-Star
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Advent OGM1 w/camera source backup camera   Kenwood backup camera   Help with backup camera install on NBS!   Wireless transmitter for backup camera from GM   Boyo Backup Camera Interference?   How to install backup camera in NNBS   Touch Screen with backup Camera   Backup camera/Sensors..... Options?   Pioneer Head Unit to Backup Camera   how do you keep your backup camera dry/frost free   OEM Backup Camera Part numbers   Backup Camera Probably Saved Life Today.   Bluetooth Interference for Wireless Backup Camera   OEM Integrated backup camera system for NBS 
Interior Sponsor
Advertise Here

Installed Backup Camera

Postby kpm » Sep 03 2012, 12:21am

I have this set up and it works great. Both vendors you mentioned offer great customer service.
kpm
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 7
Year: 2007
Extra Info: Z71 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Installed Backup Camera - 2011

Postby awork6.2 » Sep 03 2012, 7:12pm

Getting ready to install this weekend, hoping it might make parallel parking a little easier.
awork6.2
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2012
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 6.2L 4x4 MaxTow
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Sse1990 » Sep 03 2012, 8:46pm

I've had mine installed for a couple if weeks now, and I love it. I do find that in daytime the picture is somewhat blown out making it a bit difficult to see everything, but nighttime is amazing.
2012 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 4x4, 5.3L, 2" RC level.
1970 Chevy 3/4 ton, 396BB, dropped 4" front 5" rear
Sse1990
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 23
Extra Info: SLE 1500 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby bc214804 » Oct 29 2012, 3:50pm

What was the complete cost of this project?
bc214804
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 2
Year: 2010
Extra Info: 4dr 1500 5.3L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby beaubob [OP] » Oct 29 2012, 4:24pm

The mirror on eBay was $250, the kit from CS was $200.
Original Poster
beaubob
Topics: 13
Year: 2013
Extra Info: 5.3L LT Z71 All-Star
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Harley Dude » Oct 30 2012, 1:27pm

You should post this in the "How To" section.
Harley Dude
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 9
Year: 2008
Extra Info: 2500 HD Vortec 6.0
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby tcnoakes » Oct 30 2012, 1:42pm

Nice write up... Kind of off topic, but is the mirror auto-dimming as well?
tcnoakes
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 42
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users