jQuery not supported.

Instrument Cluster Panel

Stuck Spedometer

Instrument Cluster Panel

Postby Duwillia1 [OP] » Aug 21 2011, 5:03am

I just bought a 2005 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab LS. I have happy with the truck, but it does have the same issue that I have heard a lot about with the instrument cluster panel. My spedometer is stuck at 140 MPH at all times.

I am using my GPS to track my speed now, so it isn't that big of a deal. What do you guys recommend to fix the problem? I was told it would cost about $600 to get it fixed at my local Chevy dealer. I have also read that they can be removed and sent to electronics shop to be repaired.

Which one is my best bet? I am not confident that I could remove it successfully to send it off to be repaired.

Thanks for reading!
Original Poster
Duwillia1
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 8
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2005
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: LS 1500 CrewCab 2WD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Instrument Cluster Panel

Postby koolz71 » Aug 21 2011, 5:15am

U can always check ebay look for people that repair them on there..or hit up ebay for a used cluster or a junkyard
Crap, my hampster fell off the wheel and it broke its leg.

Check out my blog

koolz71
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 91
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ed-3000 » Aug 21 2011, 4:27pm

Removing it is so easy, a caveman can do it. You could even change the bad stepper motor for the speedo yourself, that would be your best bet. the new updated stepper can be found in ebay very cheap. ill take some pictures of mine and upload them later today so you can have an idea how easy it is. Next best thing is to send it to have it repaired, send it in or find someone locally on craigslist. I dont think you should replace it since its just one stepper motor thats bad, I did replace mine bacause the pawer unit went bad and the whole cluster shut down. I found a place locally that sells them brand new 0 miles for 135.00 and a dealer reprogram it for another 35.00. They got to put the miles that your truck actually has and put in your trucks VIN for it to work. If you drive on a brand new one and put miles on it then it cant be reprogram to your actual miles so Im not sure if a used one from the junkyard would be good. But dont pay the dealer 600 for that though.
ed-3000
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 5
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: 4.8 2wd
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SilverSurfer » Aug 22 2011, 5:12am

I've also seen an ad on Craigslist for the same thing.
SilverSurfer
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 49
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 5.3L Auto 2wd Posi
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Global moderators
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Duwillia1 [OP] » Aug 25 2011, 2:59am

I found a company that repairs all the stepper motors on the cluster for $140. I think that is a pretty good deal, so I will probably go with that option. Most of my local shops just want to replace the cluster rather than repair it.
Original Poster
Duwillia1
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jwh463 » Aug 25 2011, 2:46pm

I used this guy, did my silverado & envoy. I am getting ready to send in my HVAC contol for new bulbs. Could not be happier

http://gm-cluster-repair.weebly.com/
jwh463
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 3
Year: 2003
Extra Info: Ext Cab 5.3l
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby tsduke » Aug 25 2011, 3:07pm

Here is another option. I was happy with his server. He sells and fixes them. The ones he sells has the stepper motors upgraded.

http://home.comcast.net/~digital_dash_solutions/

ebay store:
http://stores.ebay.com/SPEEDOMETER-SALES-AND-SERVICE
tsduke
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 53
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2014
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLT Crew 5.3l
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby dmbarone » Aug 25 2011, 9:03pm

Had mine ( 2003 GMC ) replaced under a TSB free about a year ago . GM had a hell of a problem with the dash clusters.

Check it out and see the dealer .
dmbarone
Year: 2011
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Duwillia1 [OP] » Aug 26 2011, 1:32am

I appreciate all the of the information. Unfortunately, my truck has too many miles to be covered under the service bulletin. I have 102000 miles. I believe GM will only help out for trucks 80K miles and under.
Original Poster
Duwillia1
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby tsduke » Aug 26 2011, 1:36am

I got mine for the digital dash solutions I mentioned. I ordered one, paid a core charge and returned mine to them and they refunded my core charge. The nice thing about ordering a different one vs fix is I got the cluster for an HD truck. So I now have a tranny temp gauge.
tsduke
Topics: 53
Year: 2014
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLT Crew 5.3l
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Interior