jQuery not supported.

Lock rattle

Lock rattle

Postby sergeant swag [OP] » Jun 04 2011, 10:50pm

The locks always rattle when I turn up the bass. It's a crew cab with a stock system and my passenger front door speaker is out. I was looking to upgrade my system but I really don't want to deal with the annoying rattle so is there anything I can do?
Original Poster
sergeant swag
Topics: 2
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 4.8L V8 crew ca
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  door lock tabs rattle   Rattle   Rattle, Rattle, Rattle   Rattle on acceleration   Is this the rattle gun?   Rattle can paint   Rattle/clacking coming from somewhere   Rattle From Dash Fixed   Rattle can paint touch up   ENGINE RATTLE/ KNOCK!?   Got A New Rattle, Driving Me Nuts!   Low RPM rattle under load   Attention professional rattle canners!   Drivetrain Rattle Scatch Marks?!?!?! 
Interior Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: Lock rattle

Postby lzn197 » Jun 09 2011, 2:10pm

Has anyone removed the door pads to see if some retianer clips have become loose?
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
Topics: 6
Blogs: 16
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby sergeant swag [OP] » Jun 09 2011, 3:35pm

No not yet. I didnt want to start taking it apart until I could get some advice on what to look for
Original Poster
sergeant swag
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jepics » Jun 09 2011, 4:13pm

What part of the locks do you think is rattling? The actuating rods are usually the culprit. There are pads that are supposed to quiet that down. Use some of that non-skid shelf liner (open foam stuff), and that should help. Just test carefully that you haven't compromised the operation of the locks (or unlocks!) before putting the door back together.
If you want to do what you want to do, you have to do what you have to do.
--John
jepics
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 51
Blogs: 8
Year: 2009
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLE 5.3 V8 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby sergeant swag [OP] » Jun 09 2011, 10:15pm

I'm pretty sure its the actual plastic cause if I hold it down it stops. But thanks for the tips
Original Poster
sergeant swag
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Onlyina_Chevy » Jun 13 2011, 9:49am

I like the way you deleted my post, but that's ok. You could still turn down the bass, but just FYI. The other day I was rolling down the street with the bass cranked up really low, and viola...the locks were rattling. Yes, the plastic tops. Best case scenario...you can either 'turn' down the bass a click, or figure a way to remove the plastic tip, then run a thin strip of weather stripping behind the plastic top, either on the tip itself or on the channel it pushes up through. You said if you press on it, it would stop, right? The weather strip would have to be thin enough that it doesn't bunge up the door lock from it's ultimate function.
Onlyina_Chevy
Global Moderator (borderline Redneck variety)

Onlyina_Chevy: you've joined back into the Android ranks?
starspangled6.0: can't wait to dump the iphone
starspangled6.0: i was wrong
starspangled6.0: you were right
Onlyina_Chevy
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 130
Blogs: 5
Location: Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains...usually in the form of a tornado!
Year: 2009
Extra Info: Z71 LT2
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Global moderators
Servicemen

Postby Tom Smith » Jun 13 2012, 8:42pm

sergeant swag wrote:The locks always rattle when I turn up the bass. It's a crew cab with a stock system and my passenger front door speaker is out. I was looking to upgrade my system but I really don't want to deal with the annoying rattle so is there anything I can do?

I to have a stock system, 07 crewcab etc.
And found not only rattles in the doors but a rattle in the rear passenger speaker during peak bass periods.
When the gain is high enough I cannot hear the rattle ... problem solved. Well, not really.
Normally I run the EQ flat (no + or - regarding bass and treble. So I set the EQ with bass of a -2 and treble -2.
That would essentially be flat again. I know it's not but when you decrease the bass you essentially allow treble to be greater ... reduce treble the same amount.
I do not prefer the way it sounds now, but I can get the gain without the rattle.
The RIGHT way would be for me to fix the door rattles and replace the rear right speaker.
Tom Smith
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 5
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Interior