jQuery not supported.

manually moving a power seat?

Postby mberg [OP] » Jun 20 2012, 12:39am

Hi guys. I bought a 2003 Chevy Silverado 1500 a month ago, and the driver side power seat won't move forward or backwards. The other seat controls work. The seat motor that controls the forward/backward movement of the chair will make noise, but won't actually move (kind of a clicky sound).

The seat is about 4 inches too far back for my driving comfort. I don't want to take it to the dealer and pay big money to have the motor replaced. Is there a way to manually move the seat forward? I tried looking under the driver seat, and comparing it to the passenger seat/motors, but can't see anything that I could possibly turn manually to inch the seat forward.

Thanks!
Original Poster
mberg
Topics: 2
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2003
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Manually turn on DRL's   dead power seat   power seat adjustment problem   Power Driver's Seat Issues   power seat switch/module   Power driver seat reclined and will not come back up   Drivers power seat not workin...2001 Silverado   2011 GMC Sierra 1500 6-way power seat track replacement   engage 4x4 while moving?   moving from a level to a 3.5" lift?   Moving hitch up after body lift   Drivers Seat damaged from sharp edge on inside seat frame   2014 crew cab rear seat under-seat storage   Adding 6 way powered seat to truck with manual seat (NNBS) 
Interior Sponsor
Advertise Here

Postby Machster69 » Jun 20 2012, 1:28am

No clue, but ide bet if ur remotely capable, you could remove the seat and prally see exactly how it works, or post a pic for us? Cant be too tricky... But... Now that i said that lol!
Machster69
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 104
Blogs: 8
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 5.3 SLE 2wd
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Re: manually moving a power seat?

Postby ASTE25 » Jun 20 2012, 3:05am

If they are like the ones I used to fix on Mazda's they have a cable between the motor and the track (looks just like a speedometer cable). It usually either had a stripped plactic und thet the cable would connect to or the cable was broken. You can remove the motor/cable assembly and slide the track to the position you want it in. then reinstall the motor/cable and it should hold it in that position.
Jordan
2013 Blue Granite Metalic Silverado 2500HD Z71 4X4 extended cab regular bed
6.6L Duramax/Allison 6 speed
Line-X premium over the rail (black)
ASTE25
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: 2500HD Z-71
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby mberg [OP] » Jun 20 2012, 3:54am

I didn't see a cable underneath. The motor seems to be in the center of the seat bottom, with 2 metal arms reaching to the left and right rail. I'll look again but a cable didn't jump out at me.
Original Poster
mberg
Topics: 2
Year: 2003
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ASTE25 » Jun 20 2012, 4:13am

It may be different than the ones Mazda used. I'd think you could do the same basic thing however it is made though.
Jordan
2013 Blue Granite Metalic Silverado 2500HD Z71 4X4 extended cab regular bed
6.6L Duramax/Allison 6 speed
Line-X premium over the rail (black)
ASTE25
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: 2500HD Z-71
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Return to Interior