jQuery not supported.

Self dimming rear view mirror

Self dimming rear view mirror

Postby REDTRUCK [OP] » Feb 23 2010, 3:40am

Has anyone come up with a good replacement for the "Self dimming" rear view mirror. Mine is a huge POS. It never dims enough. I had to put a piece of window tint on it. Should go back to the old flipper style.
Original Poster
REDTRUCK
Topics: 3
Blogs: 0
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users
Related Topics  Rear-view Mirror says OC where the temp used to be   rear view mirror question   Rear-view mirror w/temperature   Rear view mirror with compass and temp   Rear View Mirror Came Off, Along With Pieces Of Windshield   rear view mirror options besides oem   Auto Dimming Tow Mirror?   Need help locating a side view mirror   side view mirror housing   Side view mirror on 2011 Silverado   Has anyone swapped out side view mirror covers on 2014   GMC Sierra 2500 HD Mirror - Side View   Rear view camera   installing rear view camera 
Interior Sponsor
Advertise Here

Re: Self dimming rear view mirror

Postby lzn197 » Apr 03 2010, 4:33am

I am surprised you are having problems with your mirror. Just a thought. Have you modified the rear window in any way or added any tint to it? The mirror needs to "see" the light that is coming up from behind you and if that "vision" has somehow been altered it will change the operation of the mirror. Also that mirror goes to the day mode when you put your truck in reverse so if for some reason your truck has a wiring issue or a false reverse signal, it will cause problems. The only pain I have with my truck is the rear view adjusts just fine but the side mirrors do NOT adjust. The side mirrors with the turn signal lights in them, do dim I am told. I do not have that option. I hope this helps.

Gordon
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
Topics: 6
Blogs: 16
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby bullrider77 » Apr 26 2010, 6:21am

just a thought if you are a smoker or if there is smoking allowed in the truck that can cause a film to build up on the inside or the back side of the lens also obstructing the level of light that can reach the sensor
bullrider77
Topics: 2
Extra Info: HD2500 6.0L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Reid07 » May 28 2010, 8:21pm

My side m irrors have the turn signal in them and I the driver's side adjusts markedly, but the passenger is not so much, if at all. I like the window tint idea though, thats pretty clever.
Reid07
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 2
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: Z-71 SLT 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby farside1 » Oct 26 2010, 10:04pm

The side view mirrors dim like the rear view mirror? How do you know if you have that option? I don't have the blinkers in the mirror but I have the heated mirrors.
farside1
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 35
Blogs: 6
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2010
Extra Info: 1500 LT 5.3L Crew
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby lzn197 » Oct 26 2010, 10:18pm

It's an uplevel option so I am sure you have to have the turn signal mirrors to get that feature.
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
Topics: 6
Blogs: 16
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby EKinMN » Oct 27 2010, 12:59am

Actually, Reid07 is very observant. The packages I have seen only have a dimming driver side mirror. The passenger side does not.
I would like the rearview mirror to get a little darker on some occasions, but generally mine is fine.
Also, I beleive that feature can be turned off and on. Make sure you have it turned on (someone correct me if I am wrong).
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, R.C. 2" level, 275/65-18 tires, mudflaps, soft toneau cover, bed mat, side steps, and HIDGuy 35w 5000k HID's
EKinMN
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 146
Blogs: 6
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: All Terrain Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Return to Interior