jQuery not supported.

Service Airbag

Service Airbag

Postby koolz71 [OP] » Jan 08 2011, 4:19pm

The other day my service airbag message appeared in the DIC and the light came on. I have no idea whats going on..looking for ideas..and I already let the thought cross my mind of setting it on fire and rolling it down a hill..so yeah lol..Ive tried some ideas i found online..supposedly there is a wire that grounds out by the parking brake, but it checked out ok. Any ideas let me know.
Crap, my hampster fell off the wheel and it broke its leg.

Check out my blog

Original Poster
koolz71
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 91
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Service Airbag

Postby EKinMN » Jan 08 2011, 4:26pm

One very common airbag problem is what's called a "clock spring" which is in the steering column right under the steering wheel. It's called that because it simply looks like a clock spring that winds and unwinds. This is how they could make a positive electrical connection to the airbag and still be able to turn the wheel back and forth. It should also feed power to any other steering wheel connections (horn, cruise, etc). See if those things are working. If not, it's probably the clock spring.

To replace it requires pulling the steering wheel...not a real easy DIY project.
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, R.C. 2" level, 275/65-18 tires, mudflaps, soft toneau cover, bed mat, side steps, and HIDGuy 35w 5000k HID's
EKinMN
Topics: 146
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: All Terrain Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby koolz71 [OP] » Jan 08 2011, 9:02pm

Well i think im closer to solving the problem....I noticed today that the passenger air bag sensor isnt working..shows it off while the passanger (my wife) is sitting there. I do know i was moving the seat back and forth trying to dig something out between the console and seat the same day this happened..so im hoping i pulled a wire.
Crap, my hampster fell off the wheel and it broke its leg.

Check out my blog

Original Poster
koolz71
Topics: 91
Extra Info: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jreagan » Feb 22 2011, 1:59am

#02-09-41-002A: Air Bag Lamp On, Passenger Air
Bag Indicator Always Reads OFF, DTC B0092 Set
(Repair Passenger Presence System (PPS) Sensor
Harness) - (Mar 24, 2004)
This bulletin is being revised to add the 2004 model year. Please discard Corporate
Bulletin Number 02-09-41-002 (Section 09 -- Restraints).
Condition
Some customers may comment that the Air Bag Lamp is on and the Passenger Air Bag indicator
always reads OFF. Upon investigation, the technician may find DTC B0092 set.
Cause
The cause of this condition may be a shorted Passenger Presence System (PPS) sensor wire.
The PPS sensor harness is located under the front passenger seat. This harness may be pinched
between the seat frame and the track/riser.
Correction
Subject: Air Bag Lamp On, Passenger Air Bag Indicator Always
Reads OFF, DTC B0092 Set (Repair Passenger Presence
System (PPS) Sensor Harness)
Models: 2003-2004 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
2003-2004 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2003-2004 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL
with Sensor Indicator Inflatable Restraint Front Passenger/Child
Presence Detector (RPO ALO)
Locate the PPS sensor (1) and inspect the harness for proper routing. If the harness is pinched
between the seat frame and the track/riser, use the procedure listed below to repair wire(s).
1. Move the front passenger seat to the full rearward and full tilt up position.
2. Loosen the seat frame to track/riser nut and remove the harness.
3. Tighten the seat frame to track/riser nut.
4. Repair any damaged wires. Refer to Wiring Repairs in the Wiring Systems sub-section of
the Service Manual.
Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
Labor
Operation Description Labor Time
N6624
Wiring and/or Connector, Occupant
Safety - Repair
Use published labor
operation time
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that
may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the
equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin
applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the
information.
jreagan
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Extra Info: 4.8L V8 4x4 long bed
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Alexander.Hovis » Sep 01 2014, 4:48pm

I know this is an old post but I just had a similar experience with mu 07.5 Silverado. The service air bag light came on. I ended up just sitting in the passenger seat and starting my truck and the airbag light switched to on and the service airbag notification went off. I got up out of the seat and the airbag switched to off and the notification light was still off. This seemed to have's fixed mu problem. Maybe it will work for someone else also.
2007 Red Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L Flex
Single Cab 2WD with 3.73 - G80

Alexander.Hovis
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 13
Year: 2007
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8 2WD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GM Customer Service » Sep 03 2014, 3:49pm

Hi Alexander.Hovis,

Are you continuing to experience the issue with your service air bag light being on? I am sorry to hear that you are having this problem and I am more than happy to look into this concern for you. I understand that you are looking for an explanation and I know that someone will step in and give you their advice. If you have any lingering questions, please feel free to private message me.

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care
GM Customer Service
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Alexander.Hovis » Sep 03 2014, 4:06pm

GM Customer Service wrote:Hi Alexander.Hovis,

Are you continuing to experience the issue with your service air bag light being on? I am sorry to hear that you are having this problem and I am more than happy to look into this concern for you. I understand that you are looking for an explanation and I know that someone will step in and give you their advice. If you have any lingering questions, please feel free to private message me.

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

Everything appears to be fine. I have not seen the service message again. I will definitely keep that in mind though.
2007 Red Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L Flex
Single Cab 2WD with 3.73 - G80

Alexander.Hovis
Topics: 13
Year: 2007
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8 2WD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GM Customer Service » Sep 05 2014, 7:29pm

Alexander.Hovis wrote:
GM Customer Service wrote:Hi Alexander.Hovis,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

Everything appears to be fine. I have not seen the service message again. I will definitely keep that in mind though.

We're happy to hear this, Alexander! We are here if our help is ever needed!

Kristen A. (Assisting Jennifer)
GM Customer Care
GM Customer Service
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Interior