jQuery not supported.

Who can fabricate a custom interior panel with ports?

Who can fabricate a custom interior panel with ports?

Postby truckbreaker [OP] » Jul 02 2014, 4:33pm

This post shows how to relocate the airbag cutoff switch on my truck, and I want to do that. http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147637

Rather than insert that pocket there, I would rather have a custom panel made that fits that space. In that panel, I would like to have:

(2) USB ports for power
(2) AC ports which I would wire to an inverter
(1) 1/8" audio aux input

But, rather than buy all those parts separately and try to make them work with panel-mount kits, I'd like to get a panel custom made to that size with those items in it and wires coming out the back (which I would then connect to whatever).

1. Can any of you recommend a way to get this done? Or a vendor?
2. Do any of you have a better location to relocate the airbag switch? I honestly never use it, ever.
Original Poster
truckbreaker
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 5
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2000
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Z71 5.3L LT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Who can fabricate a custom interior panel with ports?

Postby nwsierra » Jul 02 2014, 9:03pm

I don't think there's a vendor who has an off the shelf part remotely close to what you're looking for...

And having someone fabricate one isn't going to be cheap. But I'd imagine any good stereo or custom vehicle shop would take on the job.

If I was you, I'd relocate the airbag switch to the glovebox. Or just remove it from the dash panel and leave it "on" and hide it behind dash somewhere (out of sight).

Then I'd find the part number of a panel that fits in there (if there is such a thing, maybe off a W/T or it might be the same Part Number as the other "blank" panels). It would be pretty easy to use a drill and/or dremel/sharktooth to cut holes in the plastic for the 110v, stereo, and usb plugs. If I recall, once the airbag switch is out of the way there are four of those little trim slots right below the vent (by where the airbag switch is now). Which would be perfect - one for each of the things you want to install. If done right, modifying the stock plastic panels would look nice. Or you could fabricate something yourself using a small piece of hdpe plastic (holes cut and painted to match the dash), or go the fiberglass route (more effort and time).

It would take a saturday morning to do it yourself, but a lot more satisfaction and less money than having a custom thing built by someone else!
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 CCSB SLT All Terrain 6.2L 8Speed
nwsierra
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 16
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: SLT 6.2L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby truckbreaker [OP] » Jul 03 2014, 12:36am

First, if anyone knows someone who would fabricate (I'm in a small town), please let me know.

As for me doing it, I could try to fabricate something, but I am not sure I would know how to flush mount all those outlets into my fabricated piece. For instance, USB ports seem to be female plastic indentions of a very precise shape with electrical connectors in them. There is no way I could make those, and all the "surface mount" ones are simply a flat piece that sits on top with the whole thing going through a hole (like this: http://www.polyplanar.com/product/acx10 ... sion-cable). Thus, I think that kills me fabricating this as cleanly as I am desiring.
Original Poster
truckbreaker
Topics: 5
Year: 2000
Extra Info: Z71 5.3L LT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 350_Malibu » Jul 03 2014, 1:01am

Personally I'd just leave the airbag switch in place and add the connectors with "surface mount" type to the blank spaces available. :?

350_Malibu
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 9
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Welcher774 » Jul 03 2014, 3:08am

Take the dash surround bezel, see what is behind it. What you want could be made out of a piece of black abs plastic easy to shape and cut. Can buy from local stereo shop. Could also buy a pocket to fit in there and then abs over the top of it. My 03 Tahoe had a pocket in there maybe that would help.
Welcher774
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 60
Year: 2011
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 crewcab 5.3 2wd
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Return to Interior