jQuery not supported.

Advice on Stereo replacement

According to garage I have no options

Advice on Stereo replacement

Postby lt1xlr8 [OP] » Aug 25 2010, 9:19pm

My cd player has been broken for about a year and I cant get the disc to eject. To make matters worse it is one of my wifes cds. I called the local dealership and they told me the only option I have is to replace it with another factory unit and then have to have it programmed. Here are the details of the system from the factory. Rear dvd and bose system. I would like to retain the dvd player for the kids and also like to put navigation in. I am not a millionaire so money is an issue and know that I could just plop a nav system in the dash for 1500 or less but I want it to be done right and keep the bose and rear entertainment. Just need a solution that does not involve me giving the local dealership 800 for a mediocre head unit.
Thanks
Original Poster
lt1xlr8
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2005
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 4wd Crew
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Advice on Stereo replacement

Postby lzn197 » Aug 26 2010, 3:06am

Contact Crutchfield. I am sure they have a solution.
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby Austin » Aug 26 2010, 3:08am

I agree. Your first mistake was to dial up the dealership for an audio system related issue. Call Crutchfield 1-800-319-8264 8am to midnight EST.
chevy astro vans, gas scooters, chevy truck forums | contact me
<?=while ( try() != $success ){ again(); echo "learn and earn"; }?>
Austin
Technical Director
Technical Director
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 39
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8 4x4 SLE
Group Membership:
Supporters
Administrators
Registered users

Postby lt1xlr8 [OP] » Aug 27 2010, 12:51am

I already tried crutchfield and they said they had no solution if I wanted to keep the factory rear entertainment. I really don't want to hack the factory wires so when I trade the truck I can remove what I put in easily. Someone somewhere must have encountered this before. Thanks for the replies
Original Poster
lt1xlr8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby AMI CUSTOMS » Aug 27 2010, 5:50am

Retaining the bose is pretty easy it is just a harness that you get for the bose, as far as keeping the rear dvd. Does the rear dvd have audio/video input RCA's if so then you can link it to an aftermarket navi/dvd combo head unit.
AMI CUSTOMS
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 10
Year: 2001
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8 2wd
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Nyron » Aug 27 2010, 7:22am

Have you looked on Ebay for factory radios? I remember seeing some nav units for around 500, so I am sure other models would be even cheaper.
Nyron
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Year: 2012
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Nyron » Aug 28 2010, 8:10am

I hope you found a solution, sorry I couldn't be more helpful. What AMI Customs suggested really should work, but I am a bit perplexed at why Crutchfield said there was no option--they have been the car audio experts for a long time.
Nyron
Year: 2012
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby AMI CUSTOMS » Aug 29 2010, 4:46pm

Crutchfield doesn't know everything, all they do is direct plug and play type stuff, if they don't make a harness for it then they say, it can't be done. The ONLY thing Crutchfield is good for is raping you on prices. I have never and will never buy from them, way to high.
AMI CUSTOMS
Topics: 10
Year: 2001
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8 2wd
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby lt1xlr8 [OP] » Aug 31 2010, 12:19am

No solution yet however I probably wont be getting to it for a while now. Just spent money on new shocks to find out the leaf springs are shot too. Still need help on that topic I think if anyone has info in that field. I appreciate all input from everyone and I kind of agree with AMI customs about crutchfield. They are experts with what they sell and I would say they have minimal knowledge about the actual vehicles the things go in. Years back I wanted a certain dvd unit in my car after seeing it in several like mine and they wouldn't even talk to me because they said it would not fit.
Thanks again
Original Poster
lt1xlr8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SmokeToonDope » Sep 16 2010, 7:51am

Had a rear dvd player on a 2005 suburban work on an aftermarket kenwood navigation head unit, the guy at the stereo shop soldered some wires to the rear dvd and ran it to the unit, gotta find some one who is savvy though. but it can be done, still works on my suburban.
SmokeToonDope
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 5
Year: 2008
Extra Info: Crew Cab 2x4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Mobile Electronics