jQuery not supported.

Can Someone Steal my truck?

Not like that.. haha

Postby 11Silverado [OP] » Aug 25 2011, 1:20am

I was wondering, my truck is outside all the time. I know in Arizona with my Dodge Ram, I got a alarm and these indoor security devices called Jimmi Jammers to protect my truck. The Dodge Ram is the #1 truck stolen here in Arizona and taken to the Mexican Border for drug or smuggling trucks.

I was thinking about getting an alarm for my truck. But I started thinking, man can someone even steal my truck? I mean can they break in, steal it and drive off? OR I guess how common is it with the OnStar? Seems like would be thieves would just skip Chevy trucks due to Onstar. All you'd have to do is call OnStar and say my truck was stolen and they could locate it right?

SO is it even worth the money in a alarm? I could buy a $4 fake alarm LED in that case. The OnStar and LED I would think would be a suffice ..

Guess what I am asking is.. anyone have a NNBS stolen or heard of it? Worth the alarm? It's near $500 when all said and done with remote start..
2011 Chevrolet Silverado LT 1500 4x4.
Original Poster
11Silverado
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 9
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2011
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3 LT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Can Someone Steal my truck?

Postby Chasmanian » Aug 25 2011, 1:46am

Don't want to put a fear in ya, but if some one wants some thing bad enough they will take it. OnStar makes it a little harder but there are ways around all the security systems out there. Some are just harder to get around than others.
2014 Silverado, 2500 HD Duramax 4x4 Z71
5% Tint, 7.5 inch Rough Country lift, Gear Alloy Big Block wheels 20x10 with Cooper STT 35x12.50

Buying things I don't need to impress people I don't know.
Chasmanian
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Topics: 126
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2014
Extra Info: HD 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby SDHQ GOODGUY » Aug 31 2011, 10:06pm

i was just at the dealer this weekend and saw an article they had, about the NBS being one of the top stolen vehicles right now. so maybe a noise maker [alarm] isn't a bad idea.
2WD PRERUNNER BUILD STAY TUNED
JASON@SDHQOFFROAD.COM
SDHQ GOODGUY
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 3
Year: 2007
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ricka182 » Nov 29 2011, 6:43pm

OnStar works via that little sharkfin antenna on the roof I believe. If they destroy the antenna, they can't find it. Unless there is some tracking chip buried in the truck.. Did your truck not come with a factory installed alarm? I thought almost all vehicles had one from the factory. Regardless, if you do get one, make sure it has a killswitch. If they can't start the engine, worst they can do is trash it. Still sucks, but you'd still ahve the truck...
2006 Silverado 1500 Z71
Corsa dB Catback, Dual Rear w/ 4" Tips
4" Blocked and Leveled w/BFG 285/70/17
55w 5K HID
99% Blacked Out
ricka182
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 105
Year: 2006
Extra Info: Z71 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby milkman » Nov 29 2011, 7:20pm

Ive lived in philly my whole life and in my younger days associated with not such good people. Three of them actually done time for GTA.. Anyway point is if a thief wants it they will get it. Onstar, LoJack, alarm, club, don't matter. My advice is to do what I do... insure it out the ass and don't worry about it.. I don't even lock my doors.
If at first you don't succeed... look in trash for instructions
milkman
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 5
Year: 2005
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby deathphoenix99 » Nov 29 2011, 7:40pm

I don't know how easy/hard it is to steal the whole truck, but it's very easy to break in. A slim jim will open the door in 2 seconds or less if you know what you're doing. I really wish they'd design a better door to protect against those. Anyways, an alarm would help a lot though.
deathphoenix99
Auto 4WD Mode [L3]
Auto 4WD Mode [L3]
Topics: 29
Extra Info: SCLB 4.3L LS
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby WingNut » Nov 29 2011, 7:41pm

Thieves have gone high tech too. Key fob code scanners can be had off the internet. Thieves then place it near or under your vehicle and when you hit the unlock button or remote start, it reads and copies all your codes. Then they have pretty good access to your vehicle. They also use GPS jammers that plug into the cigarette lighter.

In many ways your best defeat strategy is to go low tech. Pull an ignition fuze or install a hidden kill switch. Thieves don't want to spend any more time on target looking for a missing fuze or kill switch. They're lazy and scared and will run off at the first sign of difficulty.
Marine because.

WingNut
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 53
Year: 2004
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby CKNSLS » Nov 29 2011, 7:55pm

I called my insurance company to ask them if they gave a discount for OnStar. They said it was very small. The office person said that the factory alarms are generally very good. Of course, as someone said above, a professional will take the truck if he wants it.
CKNSLS
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
Topics: 19
Extra Info: 5.3 Crew Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 1stsilverado » Nov 29 2011, 10:04pm

Speaking of code scanners for key fobs. They have found a way to hack or scan onstar. Thieves then access you vehicle via onstar.
1stsilverado
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 4
Extra Info: Lt 1500 4X4 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby CKNSLS » Nov 30 2011, 12:20am

1stsilverado wrote:Speaking of code scanners for key fobs. They have found a way to hack or scan onstar. Thieves then access you vehicle via onstar.

Yep, but can they start it with OnStar?
CKNSLS
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
Topics: 19
Extra Info: 5.3 Crew Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Mobile Electronics